movies from the horror master (stephen king)

froggy

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2009
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TVooUHN7j4]YouTube - The Best Part Of The Shining[/ame]

Steven King's only good books and movies in the genre were the first few he imitated Lovecraft.

I think most of his books were good up til "Pet Semetary". Things started to go downhill with "It". I loved "The Stand" until it was re-released.

Steven King's only good books and movies in the genre were the first few he imitated Lovecraft.

I think most of his books were good up til "Pet Semetary". Things started to go downhill with "It". I loved "The Stand" until it was re-released.

I liked The Stand as a book, never saw the whole movie. The Mist was right out of Lovecraft, almost exactly like one of Lovecraft's own stories. The strange thing is Steven admitted to having Lovecraft as an inspiration and idol. ;)

I liked The Stand as a book, never saw the whole movie. The Mist was right out of Lovecraft, almost exactly like one of Lovecraft's own stories. The strange thing is Steven admitted to having Lovecraft as an inspiration and idol. ;)

I think he actually references him in several books and stories. I've never seen any of King's books as movies. I get too pissy when books and movies don't match. Even as a kid I spent most of Gone With The Wind complaining that Scarlett had three kids not just one.

You should never ruin a good book by turning it into a movie.

I saw The Shining (at a drive-in, no less..all night horror fest from sun-down until dawn...) before I read the book.

It was incredible as a movie.

After I read the book, I was like, wtf, the movie is nothing like this...

But the movie was still great.

So was the Stephen King remake with the Airplane or Airport series dude... a miniseries..also very good in its own way. Nowhere near as terrifying as either the book or the original movie.

You want to do Stephen King, read his screenplays. Very good stuff.

I think he actually references him in several books and stories. I've never seen any of King's books as movies. I get too pissy when books and movies don't match. Even as a kid I spent most of Gone With The Wind complaining that Scarlett had three kids not just one.

I found that annoying as well.

But I still read Gone With the Wind at least once every two years, and watch the movie at least once every 6 months, I have it on DVD.

Vivien Leigh. Vivian Lee...however she spelt her name. She was the epitome of Scarlett. I dreamed myself a Scarlett, despite being 5'7 (not 5') and 130 lbs....w/brown hair and blue eyes..not black and green...

Even more fascinating is that she ended her days in an insane asylum. Though that's not me.

It was great. The Stand was great. The Dark Half was good. The Shining sucked. Tommyknockers was ok. For me, his short stories were a lot better. And the Bachman Books. The Long Walk is a good story.

Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption were the only two good King 'book-to-movies'. Period. All other fail miserably. The Stand was his best work but the movie? Two words: shoot me.

Read the books first, then watch the movies. You will see they are epic failures.

Stephen King is over rated anyways. He was better before he became a famous pop-writer, imo.

Forum List

Back