Movies food

luchitociencia

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2019
I just went to watch 21 Bridges.

21BridgesPoster.jpeg

The usual custom for us is buying a large popcorn and a large soda, so more than one can eat and drink (separate straws) and have free refills for both of them.

Sometimes the popcorn is too salty and we ask for preparing another one. I don't want to give the wrong impression of giving preferences to a certain chain of movie theaters but AMC guys won't have any problem doing it.

However, this is not the experience we had tonight with the Regal cinema. The popcorn was yellow. Plain and solid yellow.

My guess was because they have added "butter" or whatever the liquid is with butter flavor. So, I asked for white popcorn, or "original" popcorn.

I was told that yes, butter has been added but such is how popcorn comes now, and that they can't make popcorn without butter anymore. So, I asked for the refund of my money.

After the movies we went to Chipottle -the only carryout which was open in the route going home- and ordered food over there.

My family won't mind having the yellow popcorn but I do, so I might continue going to the Regal movie theater but I won't order their popcorn, perhaps neither the soda.

To me, their policy is not right because not everybody can eat butter and/or similar products, and the adding of it to the popcorn must stay optional to the customer.

Both use coconut oil to pop their popcorn so not really sure why they would say they cannot do it without butter.

21BridgesPoster.jpeg

The usual custom for us is buying a large popcorn and a large soda, so more than one can eat and drink (separate straws) and have free refills for both of them.

Sometimes the popcorn is too salty and we ask for preparing another one. I don't want to give the wrong impression of giving preferences to a certain chain of movie theaters but AMC guys won't have any problem doing it.

However, this is not the experience we had tonight with the Regal cinema. The popcorn was yellow. Plain and solid yellow.

My guess was because they have added "butter" or whatever the liquid is with butter flavor. So, I asked for white popcorn, or "original" popcorn.

I was told that yes, butter has been added but such is how popcorn comes now, and that they can't make popcorn without butter anymore. So, I asked for the refund of my money.

After the movies we went to Chipottle -the only carryout which was open in the route going home- and ordered food over there.

My family won't mind having the yellow popcorn but I do, so I might continue going to the Regal movie theater but I won't order their popcorn, perhaps neither the soda.

To me, their policy is not right because not everybody can eat butter and/or similar products, and the adding of it to the popcorn must stay optional to the customer.
You sound like a fun date.

Pro-tip: Theaters throw away tons of stale and unsold (way overpriced) popcorn. If you regularly go to one and have a wood stove ask for some. Odds are they'll hand you a giant garbage bag full. A gallon scoop full of popcorn beats rolling up wads of newspaper to get your fire going any day and smells better.

Both use coconut oil to pop their popcorn so not really sure why they would say they cannot do it without butter.
According to the attendant, the new popcorn comes with butter in order to avoid being "burnt" when is prepared.

I don't buy such an explanation.

Pro-tip: Theaters throw away tons of stale and unsold (way overpriced) popcorn. If you regularly go to one and have a wood stove ask for some. Odds are they'll hand you a giant garbage bag full. A gallon scoop full of popcorn beats rolling up wads of newspaper to get your fire going any day and smells better.
Ha ha ha ha

Look, in my house we have an old projector, a white screen and all those home cinema stuff I bought years ago for watching movies and for educational purposes. Then, we used to buy popcorn from the store, but the price of it increased a lot.

So, one day, at the movies I saw the popcorn bags they use, and I took a picture of them. I went online and I bought a 35lb bag for 20 bucks "and an additional 20 bucks for delivery". I didn't mind about paying the total 40 bucks because I still am saving a bunch of money anyways.

IMG_1506[1].JPG

We watched movies at home having home made popcorn by lots.

Unfortunately children grow up, and today is very rare be watching movies all of us at home. They used to bring friends when they were teenagers. That was long time ago.

My point is that I consider eating popcorn as a healthy food, but the adding of such "butter" at the time of preparing it in this chain of movie theaters is not a good idea.

21BridgesPoster.jpeg

That crap is not butter

It is some chemical concoction

hey YO NICCA We don’t serve no white popcorn yo! You cracka haba

21BridgesPoster.jpeg

That crap is not butter

It is some chemical concoction
Your movie theater butter has no butter in it, but it does have partially hydrogenated soybean oil (a.k.a. trans fats), beta carotene (a coloring, makes carrots orange), tertiary Butylhydroquinone or TBHQ (synthetic preservative that keeps the color and texture from changing as the product sits), polydimethylsiloxane (silicone based chemical that prevents foaming), and, wait for it, buttery flavoring. They do not say what exactly makes a buttery flavoring, but they do admit that it isn’t butter. So it is some sort of chemical that mimics butter.
:party::popcorn::puhleeze::puke:

Your movie theater butter has no butter in it, but it does have partially hydrogenated soybean oil (a.k.a. trans fats), beta carotene (a coloring, makes carrots orange), tertiary Butylhydroquinone or TBHQ (synthetic preservative that keeps the color and texture from changing as the product sits), polydimethylsiloxane (silicone based chemical that prevents foaming), and, wait for it, buttery flavoring.

"Butylhydroquinone" I can't even pronounce it, yes, you are right and thank you for give me more information about that "thing".

My new strategy is not losing the fun of going outside and have a good time, so no more popcorn at movies but a restaurant after the film. It costs almost the same.

Forum List

Back