Movie 'Concussion' Was Excellent

They've definitely come a long way in helmet tech,but the problem lies with the sudden stop and the brain smacking itself on your skull.
I dont know how you fix that and still have a wearable helmet.

You "fix" that by making a helmet that makes the stop less sudden and severe. The problem lies in how to do that and not make a helmet of enormous proportions. The technology will get there eventually.
The helmet size already makes them look like space aliens.
Plus, knee and joint injuries won't decrease.
Smaller, more natural player size is a better solution. Right now it looks like a combo of seven-on-seven and sumo wrestling.

Good luck with your shrink-ray invention.

My solution is realistic. It's just extremely doubtful it would ever be implemented.

You contradict yourself.
Not at all. A shrink ray machine is unrealistic. Weight restrictions in sports already exist so they are demonstrably realistic. Implementation is a completely different issue.

Wow, so we should just not do anything to help these people who have developed brain injuries? There is no doubt that they are getting injuries, but thats OK as long as the NFL admits there are problems?

You like gladiatorial sports as well? Fight to the death in arenas, etc?

Come on dude, we can improve the sport and not have so many of our athletic heroes killing themselves from depression, walking around like drooling idiots later in life and actually enjoying their retirement.

What would be the big deal if the various football sports organizations ruled out using pads and helmets? Went with the rugby approach?

Would that desecrate the religion of football so horribly that you couldnt enjoy watching our gladiators try to kill each other on the field otherwise?
Look at photos of football players a 100 years ago. Their helmets were nothing more than leather caps that protected their ears. And their jerseys were shoulder width, not like they had gigantic arms and shoulders.
You don't have to go that far back. As recently as the 1970's, even after weight training had become popular, Ohio St center Mark Lang weighed just over 200 lbs.
In the OU vs Ohio St game from 1977, very few of the interior linemen weighed over 250.
Lou Holtz played offensive line! My dad was an interior lineman in college and was 5'9", 180 lbs.

Too tall jones weighed in a lot heavier than 200 back in the 1970's college ball and he was by no means the only one.
But he was very tall. Measure the weight vs the frame and height. Ed Jones height by today's weight standards would have him at over 350 lbs.

He was 65lbs LIGHTER than William Perry...despite being 7" taller! And today, the 6'2", 335lb "Refrigerator" Perry would NOT be an especially large lineman!
In goal line technique, Perry's belly dragged on the ground.
His little brother who played at Clemson wasn't nearly as overweight.

You "fix" that by making a helmet that makes the stop less sudden and severe. The problem lies in how to do that and not make a helmet of enormous proportions. The technology will get there eventually.
Smaller, more natural player size is a better solution. Right now it looks like a combo of seven-on-seven and sumo wrestling.

My solution is realistic. It's just extremely doubtful it would ever be implemented.

You contradict yourself.
Not at all. A shrink ray machine is unrealistic. Weight restrictions in sports already exist so they are demonstrably realistic. Implementation is a completely different issue.

If such a ridiculous notion hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of "implementation," then it is not "realistic."

You contradict yourself.

If such a ridiculous notion hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of "implementation," then it is not "realistic."
It is already implemented in various professional sports and in football at different levels.

Other than the deaths that occurred back when they didn't wear helmets it was safer.
I had never heard of a death from a head-to-head hit back in the day.

You got links to some such?

Where are the similar rugby deaths?
Teddy Roosevelt mandated changes in the game's rules or it would be abolished because of the deaths and brutality. Ironically the forward pass resulted from some of those changes. Now a pass play is among the most dangerous.

You contradict yourself.

It is already implemented in various professional sports and in football at different levels.

Stop wasting time.

I've heard the the movie tells a lot of lies.

First and foremost is the the NFL tried to deny there was a problem. That just isn't true. This doctor was saying things that no other doctor was saying. The NFL had entire teams of doctors threat didn't agree with this one doctors findings. The NFL went with what their doctors were telling them and not with what this one doctor was saying.

There apparently are other lies too, but that one is the most important.

You assert...

1. First and foremost is the the NFL tried to deny there was a problem. That just isn't true.

Then you say...
2.This doctor was saying things that no other doctor was saying. The NFL had entire teams of doctors threat didn't agree with this one doctors findings. The NFL went with what their doctors were telling them and not with what this one doctor was saying.

If the doctors the NFL had disagreed, then they denied the one doctors assertions, no? And if the NFL went with the denying doctors, then the NFL too was in effect denying the one doctors assertions, as well.

I was saying that the lie was that the NFL tried to deny there was a problem. It was one of the lies in the movie.

Forum List

Back