Moussaoui Jury Pusses Out

GunnyL said:
But again, you ignore the fact they are here illegally. Anything they do here is secondary to THAT fact.

My argument in regards to Joyce's statement was illegal aliens can not be charged for something that is not a crime.

In addition to being sent home, he thought they should be charged a seperate crime for the protests.

Protesting is "freedom" to US citizens.

It is a freedom for them too. They will not be imprisoned, fined, or be charged with a crime for protesting. If they are carded in the process they will be punished only for being illegal, not for exercising their freedom to protest.

1549 said:
My argument in regards to Joyce's statement was illegal aliens can not be charged for something that is not a crime.

In addition to being sent home, he thought they should be charged a seperate crime for the protests.

It is a freedom for them too. They will not be imprisoned, fined, or be charged with a crime for protesting. If they are carded in the process they will be punished only for being illegal, not for exercising their freedom to protest.

My argument is not that whether or not it illegal to protest, but whether or not illegal immigrants have rights. Basic human rights (which you say they deserve) still does not avail them all the Constitutional rights and privileges granted to US citizens.

GunnyL said:
My argument is not that whether or not it illegal to protest, but whether or not illegal immigrants have rights. Basic human rights (which you say they deserve) still does not avail them all the Constitutional rights and privileges granted to US citizens.

So you want to take away the immigrants right to protest? What are you going to do, card them and send them home? Oh wait, illegal immigrants already are randomly carded and sent home.

So basically you stand in favor of the status quo?

That bastard Moussaoui had better thank his lucky stars he wasn't charged with a hate crime; he'd have been in REAL trouble then!

And - I'm sorry to say - it's probably overly optimistic to assume he'll have a tough life in prison. Islam is a pretty big part of prison gang life, as I understand it. He'll be a hero; he'll be protected.

GunnyL said:
I'm not sure what the actual reasoning behind the sentence is.

You might be interested in Rich Lowry's commentary on the asinine "touchy, feely" reasoning of the jury. Like Lowry, I am wondering if we're going to get this same kind of verdict when Khlaid Shakh Mohammed is tried.

A Mitigating Disaster
By Rich Lowry, National Review
May 5, 2006

There is a historical debate over whether German saboteurs captured here during World War II were treated fairly when they were thrown before a military tribunal, found guilty and executed. We now know the answer, at least by the standards established in the Zacarias Moussaoui trial: No.

How could we pass judgment on German spies without duly considering whether they had suffered unhappy home lives? Were their families comfortably middle-class, or did they struggle to make ends meet? Did their fathers support them, or did they keep them at a cold distance? Was the German social system conducive to their deepest personal aspirations?

No one 60 years ago, of course, would have thought these considerations were remotely relevant to judging the saboteurs’ responsibility for participating in a plot to carry out attacks on American soil on behalf of Nazi Germany. We have come a long way. The jury that spared Moussaoui the death sentence thought his unstable childhood, violent father and the racism he encountered in France were “mitigating factors” in his guilt. Moussaoui had a harsher reaction, yelling out in the courtroom after a clinical social worker testified about the hardships of his early childhood, “It’s a lot of American B.S.”

He was right. Moussaoui did indeed have a blighted childhood—he spent time in orphanages and had an abusive father and uncle—but that doesn’t reduce his responsibility for his crimes. Lots of people have sad upbringings, but that doesn’t cause them to try to murder thousands of people or commit acts of warfare against the United States. Immediately after 9/11, we all agreed that terrorists should get their eternal reward; now, we think some of them should get therapy.

for full article:
http://author.nationalreview.com/latest/?q=MjE1NQ==...

I don't know how old Moussaoui is. I should check but I can't be bothered. Late thirties? Let's say he has another fifty years of life, given that he will be given excellent nutrition and health care. In that fifty years what will happen is this:

1. AQ will be defeated.
2. Radical Islam will be overcome by a more moderate, reasonable approach to Islam. It's beginning to take root now, it will spread, given encouragement
3. The current disagreements between Israel and the Palestinian people will be resolved and the two nations will agree to live in peace and harmony and will even cooperate with one another.
4. Iraq will eventually be broken up into several autonomous regions which will agree on a lose federation and will enjoy cordial relations.
5. Afghanistan will settle down in to an uneasy but workable truce between the various regions which, in the spirit of Iraq, will agree to put differences aside and will cooperate with western nations in order for its population to be brought into the 21s Century.

And so on.

And all the time Moussaoui will be in prison. He will be waiting to die. He will never meet a wonderful woman and have children. He will never see his children grow up and go to school and university and graduate and get great jobs and meet partners and have children of their own.

And some of you want to kill him?

You pussies.

Diuretic said:
And all the time Moussaoui will be in prison. He will be waiting to die. He will never meet a wonderful woman and have children. He will never see his children grow up and go to school and university and graduate and get great jobs and meet partners and have children of their own.

Somehow I got the distinct impression that the above were not high priority items in Moussaoui's life (if they had any priority at all), compared to bringing down big, bad, powerful countries through terrorist tactics and schemes.

Adam's Apple said:
Somehow I got the distinct impression that the above were not high priority items in Moussaoui's life (if they had any priority at all), compared to bringing down big, bad, powerful countries through terrorist tactics and schemes.

Probably not. But look at his mentality. Martyr. He chose to give up the things that make us people, his life if necessary, so that his vision could be attained. If he was killed his sacrifice, to him, is snuffed out. He knows nothing. He ceases to exist.

Now consider this. He is denied death. He is kept alive in the most controlled circumstances. And he sees everything he stood for crumbling in front of his eyes.

In forty years people - in the west and everywhere else will have forgotten who he is. Just an old man rotting in prison for doing something that was a terrible event forty years ago. The world would have moved forward while he would have sacrificed his life - not just the living and breathing part of life, but "life" in the sense of living as a completely fulfulled human being - for a failed philosophy.
He would truly understand the meaning of regret.

I hear what you're saying, but I just don't see this case the way you do. I sincerely doubt that things will pan out as you envision them.

[QYE=Diuretic] He would truly understand the meaning of regret. [/QUOTE]

I truly doubt that Moussaoui will ever regret anything. He was a terrorist. He subscribed to that way of life and was a committed soldier. In prison he will not be exposed to what is happening in the outside world. If we can believe what we read, he will be severely curtailed. Given that circumstance, in all likelihood, intellectually he will remain as he is today.

Forum List

Back