Motorcycle Pain

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DGS49, Jul 9, 2018.

1. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,960
    Whilst traveling north on U.S. Rt 19 Saturday, on a pleasant ride through the Northwest Pennsylvania countryside, my spine was continually assaulted by elevated seams in the road, which are too much for my motorcycle suspension to absorb. I was able to see many of them in advance and brace myself, but my passenger/wife was jarred painfully numerous times, and I had to move to the Interstate for the trip back home. It was literally too painful to ride the 2-lane.

There was a section on 19 (about 5 miles, north of Portersville) where these seams had been ground down to the level pavement, and that section of the road was certainly pleasant.

I don't even know what government agency or department would be responsible for such a task, but I would imagine that many small cars were experiencing similar discomfort over this heavily-traveled main road.

Whom would one complain to? I'm thinking, PennDOT.

This is the experience that will end my motorcycling days. I really felt that I could be seriously injured if I hit a big one and was not prepared. And I have a 900 pound touring bike. I can't even imagine what it would be like on a Crotch Rocket.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pilot1

Pilot1 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    Your first mistake is living, and trying to recreate in western Pennsylvania. The second mistake is riding a bike with a subpar suspension for your age, and needs.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 2
  3. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,881
    Nothing makes you feel more alive than the day after you hit the pavement @ 74mph. Keep that in mind.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,686
    Maybe your shocks are worn out?

Do they sell a suspension upgrade for your model of bike? .... :cool:

5. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,881
    You should check your shock seals. Most motorcycle suspensions are adjustable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Admiral Rockwell Tory

Admiral Rockwell Tory Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,123
    That's why it's called a hard tail! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,176
    [​IMG]

8. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,960
    This is not a hard-tail. It is a Kawasaki Vaquero.

But the point on suspension is well taken. Total weight about 315. Gotta check it out.

9. Lulllaboo

Lulllaboo Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you often ride a motorcycle? Maybe it hurt you because you were not used to driving a motorcycle for so long. I have a motorcycle, KTM Duke 390. We often drive with friends on old roads that are in poor condition. I usually get very sore hands, because I feel the vibration of the steering wheel. It's also very important to choose a comfortable outfit. I have special pants for riding a motorcycle. I always wear a jacket, gloves, knee pads, special shoes and, of course, a helmet. Even after a slight drop, I buy a new helmet, because any damage to the helmet doesn't guarantee my safety at the second fall. It's very important for me to choose a comfortable and functional outfit. For example, I recently bought a helmet with bluetooth connection. Here you can read about them more. I believe that if you have a properly matched motorcycle, good equipment, then the inconvenience of a bad road is tolerable. Maybe you just need to practice more, maybe you should go the other way, but exactly you definitely shouldn't give up moto travel!