Motorcycle for travel?

Cain

Air Force DEP
Nov 14, 2010
Tennessee
So, I have been debating the idea of a truck for a good while. I understand I could afford a good down payment on one right now, but I am wanting to buy a vehicle outright, whenever I get one. I bought my current vehicle straight up (4300$ is cheap for its year/make they say).

Anyways. I was thinking about maybe getting a decent motorcycle. I checked a Harley-Davidson store in Clarksville, and their price range was from 12,000-22,000$. Now, I personally, will not pay over 15,000$ for a motorcycle. Just won't happen, frankly 15,000$ is a good portion of what a truck would cost me.

Anyways, do you think a motorcycle would be a good idea for me, even though I'll be traveling a lot for the military? Only 'omen' I have had of this is, the guy that was recruiting out of our station nearly 2 years ago, died in a motorcycle accident.

A Harley Davidson touring class motorcycle ($18,000->$22,000 is really a better deal than a less expensive Japanese touring bike. In a normal economy, a big twin Harley retains more of it's resale value than any other make. Hell, I had a '92 FXRS that cost $9,200 new. In good condition, it would sell for 10 grand today. My 2004 Road King sold new for just under 18. I paid 17 for it in 05 and I could get 15 for it now.
A 2 year old $18,000 Honda Goldwing is worth 12 grand or so.
I may be a touch prejudiced as I've been riding Harleys since 1969. My grandfather, father, both sons, wife and daughter have all been Harley owners.

Because of the weather, you can't ride a motorcycle 365 days a year. You're just about to join the AF with what, an E-1 to E-3 paycheck, and you wanna buy a new truck? Are you crazy son?

After Basic and when you learn where you're gonna' be stationed at, buy a cheap, 3-4 year old used vehicle for cash.

I don't know what the military earns nowadays but when I was in (82-92) I averaged $11,000 a year.

Last edited:
A good new decent little car will be less than a Harley and have a roof and heat and air.
Not as cool as a Harley but then again not as cool as in cold either.
And it can get just about as not as good as mileage as the Harley as well.

You'd best wait until you know where you are heading. 100% certain. And a Cycle may be nice but it cannot be your only means of transportation in the military. Couldn't make it to work because of the weather is not an excuse.....

Because of the weather, you can't ride a motorcycle 365 days a year. You're just about to join the AF with what, an E-1 to E-3 paycheck, and you wanna buy a new truck? Are you crazy son?

After Basic and when you learn where you're gonna' be stationed at, buy a cheap, 3-4 year old used vehicle for cash.

I don't know what the military earns nowadays but when I was in (82-92) I averaged $11,000 a year.

I never said I was going to buy a 'new' truck, and I might want to add, I have already had a topic on waiting 3 years to buy a truck. And I have a car I'm selling and money saved up for a vehicle, I could, put a 15,000$ down-payment on a truck, or get a motorcycle with the money I have now. I am NOT going to buy my truck until I can buy it outright, same for any motorcycle.

I already have a 3-4 year old car.

E-3, 1750$ per month.

I spent eight years in the Air Force. Great branch of the military. But if you're just signing up I'd suggest you get your basic out of the way and get to your first duty station. Then check out the base credit union. They usually have a few cars and trucks cheap that are repo's. People are PCS'ing and can't take them with them and don't have enough time to sell them, so they just turn them back over to the bank. That's how I bought my first car in the Force. Check it out.

Also, I've been riding motorcycle since I was nine. I'm on my eleventh motorcycle which happens to be my third Harley Davidson. I'm 55 now, so that makes one hell of a lot of years riding, and I'm not dead. Is it more hazardous than a car? Sure. Is it one hell of a lot more fun than a car? You bet. Sometimes the chances you take are worth the rewards. But if you're scared that if you ride you're going to die, then you should never get on a bike in the first place. You won't enjoy yourself.

I spent eight years in the Air Force. Great branch of the military. But if you're just signing up I'd suggest you get your basic out of the way and get to your first duty station. Then check out the base credit union. They usually have a few cars and trucks cheap that are repo's. People are PCS'ing and can't take them with them and don't have enough time to sell them, so they just turn them back over to the bank. That's how I bought my first car in the Force. Check it out.

Also, I've been riding motorcycle since I was nine. I'm on my eleventh motorcycle which happens to be my third Harley Davidson. I'm 55 now, so that makes one hell of a lot of years riding, and I'm not dead. Is it more hazardous than a car? Sure. Is it one hell of a lot more fun than a car? You bet. Sometimes the chances you take are worth the rewards. But if you're scared that if you ride you're going to die, then you should never get on a bike in the first place. You won't enjoy yourself.

I'm not worried about the risk, I'm honestly worried, will I be able to go places on it if I get transferred? Like, pack my stuff, will it haul it? That is really what I need help with.

Also, guys, I am not saying I need cheap, just wanting a motorcycle mainly cause the only other vehicle I am ever going to need is a truck, and if I live long enough, a big truck for a farm.

And, I am not getting a motorcycle until after Tech School, that gives me 5 months in before I go to buy one. I am selling my current car after I ship out, I think I'll end up getting around 4-5 thousand out of it.

Last edited:
As someone who has actually ridden long distance, I'd get a Goldwing or BMW K Series.

Nobody but a 1%-er or stone nut wants to ride a Harley vobroglide for 1,000 miles.

Spoken like a typical asshole who hasn't ridden a post 1985 Harley. Last summer, I rode from Miami to Shelton CT in 2 days 1,400 miles by that route. Returning, I rode through W Virginia an Tennessee. My 3rd day, I rode from Knoxville TN to Miami (875 miles). I'm 61. If I can handle that as "used" as I am, a kid who's just joined the Air Force should be able to handle 1,500 miles.

My 30 year old son rode down here from CT (1,425 miles) in 27 hours, walked in the house had a beer and a sandwich and we headed for Key West. We rode just over 400 miles that day.

As someone who has actually ridden long distance, I'd get a Goldwing or BMW K Series.

Nobody but a 1%-er or stone nut wants to ride a Harley vobroglide for 1,000 miles.

Spoken like a typical asshole who hasn't ridden a post 1985 Harley. Last summer, I rode from Miami to Shelton CT in 2 days 1,400 miles by that route. Returning, I rode through W Virginia an Tennessee. My 3rd day, I rode from Knoxville TN to Miami (875 miles). I'm 61. If I can handle that as "used" as I am, a kid who's just joined the Air Force should be able to handle 1,500 miles.

My 30 year old son rode down here from CT (1,425 miles) in 27 hours, walked in the house had a beer and a sandwich and we headed for Key West. We rode just over 400 miles that day.
Spoken like a typical broom-up-the-ass Harley rider dickhead, who takes things personally when they weren't meant so.

Fact remains that a mid-late '80s Goldwing with 100k on it is just broken in, and it won't cost you half what those overrated, belching shake machines will set you back.

I do like one things about Harleys, though....Passing them like they're parked.

Last edited:

Spoken like a typical broom-up-the-ass Harley rider dickhead, who takes things personally when they weren't meant so.

Fact remains that a mid-late '80s Goldwing with 100k on it is just broken in, and it won't cost you half what those overrated, belching shake machines will set you back.

Was riding up in the NC mountains a few weeks back with some friends. I ride an 08 Wing and my friends were on barleys...we stopped at a gas station for a break and for them to fill up (again) and at the edge of the parking lot, there were 3 harley riders sitting on their bikes around a gold wing whose rider was under the bike. My harley riding friends were kidding about the gold wing being broke....we went over to see if any help was needed and one of my harley riding friends mentioned that it was odd to see someone working on a wing while harley riders stand around.

The wing rider replied that his bike was fine...he was just trying to get something that fell off one of the harleys out of his faring.

Was riding up in the NC mountains a few weeks back with some friends. I ride an 08 Wing and my friends were on barleys...we stopped at a gas station for a break and for them to fill up (again) and at the edge of the parking lot, there were 3 harley riders sitting on their bikes around a gold wing whose rider was under the bike. My harley riding friends were kidding about the gold wing being broke....we went over to see if any help was needed and one of my harley riding friends mentioned that it was odd to see someone working on a wing while harley riders stand around.

The wing rider replied that his bike was fine...he was just trying to get something that fell off one of the harleys out of his faring.
No way could I ride with Harleys in the mountains. I've seen them poke along so slow they would piss off Prius drivers. It a different style of riding for different reasons, the only commonality is the two wheels.

No way could I ride with Harleys in the mountains. I've seen them poke along so slow they would piss off Prius drivers. It a different style of riding for different reasons, the only commonality is the two wheels.

A lot of them do poke around like old grannies but not all....one of my riding friends is 83 years old, rides a souped up ultra glide and will ride you down if you are poking along...he raced flat dirt track motorcycles back in the day and rides like his hair is on fire everywhere he goes.

A lot of them do poke around like old grannies but not all....one of my riding friends is 83 years old, rides a souped up ultra glide and will ride you down if you are poking along...he raced flat dirt track motorcycles back in the day and rides like his hair is on fire everywhere he goes.
I've met a few like that. They are not the riding side by side parade formation types. Each to their own but when a big group effs up the few chances to pass it really ruins the ride. They refuse to pull over or spread out. I've dove into a few packs and worked my way through them. I can be rude too.

Forum List

Back