Motorcycle Dreams

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Every two years (more or less) I get the itch to trade my bike and get something else. My wife used to say, "Why don't you just get what you really want, and keep it?" Until I told her that what I really want is to have four or five bikes of different types. She don't make that comment no more.

But it started me thinking, if I did have the space and the interest to have, say, five bikes, with a very frugal mindset, what would I get? In no particular order, this is what I came up with:

First, a touring bike. The first two touring bikes that come to mind are obviously the Harley Electra-Glide Ultra and the Honda Goldwing 1800. There are a lot of other comparable bikes around and some of them can be had at very reasonable prices; they are "interesting" but not desirable. The Harley is a great bike, has a great sound, and buying one gets you membership in the most extensive and beneficial motorcycle club in the world - even if you don't formally join the Harley Owners' Group. A Goldwing 1800 is a superior bike in almost every way, but it cannot be fitted with floorboards or highway pegs (seriously), and it sounds like a sewing machine. I could go either way on this, but I think I would lean toward the Goldwing because it is nimbler (low CG), it has reverse, and I like the look of it better.

Second, a Bad-Ass cruiser. The reflexive answer here is a Sportster 1200, but you really can't go wrong with any number of Japanese cruisers from Honda, Kawasaki, Star (Yamaha), and Suzuki. All of these can be found with extensive aftermarket equipment, generally intended to make them look and sound like Harley's. I think I would go for a V-Rod. These have horrible resale value, and I've seen low-mileage examples around for $5k.

Third, an "Adventure Bike." The capacity to go off-road is enticing and would probably never be used, but as with car buyers getting SUV's it is a Thing to do. Again, some Japanese models are ridiculously inexpensive, and in this group, the V-Strom 650 stands out. Often the original owner equips them with bags and other cool off-road accessories, making them suitable for riding the Alaska Highway, should you choose to do so. Kawasaki and Yamaha offer similar bikes at slightly higher prices, and BMW and KTM offer superior Adventure Bikes...for three times as much.

Fourth, a "street bike." Since I'm too old for a crotch rocket,, and can't imagine myself ever being comfortable on one. For an everyday street bike I think I'd lean toward a Honda CB900/1000 or maybe a Triumph America. Both are dirt-cheap on the used market, and can be had easily for Four Thousand dollars

Finally, a "runabout" to take to the grocery store. The Suzuki Burgman is at the top of my list here. I think that the 400 would be adequate, but the price premium for a 650 "Executive" is so small, and there are tons of them around, that I think that's what I would go for. Again, $4,000 would get a pretty nice one. Plan B here would be an old Honda Pacific Coast (800). It is the most car-like MC ever made, it is comfortable, maneuverable, efficient, and packs a shit-load of storage capacity under the seat. Best of all, a very nice, low mileage PC800 can be had easily for $3 grand.

So, spending $7,000 for a Goldwing, $6,000 for a V-Rod, $3,500 for a V-Strom 650, $3,500 for an old CB Honda, and $3,500 for a Burgman: Five nice bikes for a total of $23,500.

I want to trade my wide glide for a bagger.
Besides that, all i would want is a street bike. I do get the itch to hug curves every once in a while.
I like cafe racers but i dont want 3 bikes lol

Every two years (more or less) I get the itch to trade my bike and get something else. My wife used to say, "Why don't you just get what you really want, and keep it?" Until I told her that what I really want is to have four or five bikes of different types. She don't make that comment no more.

But it started me thinking, if I did have the space and the interest to have, say, five bikes, with a very frugal mindset, what would I get? In no particular order, this is what I came up with:

First, a touring bike. The first two touring bikes that come to mind are obviously the Harley Electra-Glide Ultra and the Honda Goldwing 1800. There are a lot of other comparable bikes around and some of them can be had at very reasonable prices; they are "interesting" but not desirable. The Harley is a great bike, has a great sound, and buying one gets you membership in the most extensive and beneficial motorcycle club in the world - even if you don't formally join the Harley Owners' Group. A Goldwing 1800 is a superior bike in almost every way, but it cannot be fitted with floorboards or highway pegs (seriously), and it sounds like a sewing machine. I could go either way on this, but I think I would lean toward the Goldwing because it is nimbler (low CG), it has reverse, and I like the look of it better.

Second, a Bad-Ass cruiser. The reflexive answer here is a Sportster 1200, but you really can't go wrong with any number of Japanese cruisers from Honda, Kawasaki, Star (Yamaha), and Suzuki. All of these can be found with extensive aftermarket equipment, generally intended to make them look and sound like Harley's. I think I would go for a V-Rod. These have horrible resale value, and I've seen low-mileage examples around for $5k.

Third, an "Adventure Bike." The capacity to go off-road is enticing and would probably never be used, but as with car buyers getting SUV's it is a Thing to do. Again, some Japanese models are ridiculously inexpensive, and in this group, the V-Strom 650 stands out. Often the original owner equips them with bags and other cool off-road accessories, making them suitable for riding the Alaska Highway, should you choose to do so. Kawasaki and Yamaha offer similar bikes at slightly higher prices, and BMW and KTM offer superior Adventure Bikes...for three times as much.

Fourth, a "street bike." Since I'm too old for a crotch rocket,, and can't imagine myself ever being comfortable on one. For an everyday street bike I think I'd lean toward a Honda CB900/1000 or maybe a Triumph America. Both are dirt-cheap on the used market, and can be had easily for Four Thousand dollars

Finally, a "runabout" to take to the grocery store. The Suzuki Burgman is at the top of my list here. I think that the 400 would be adequate, but the price premium for a 650 "Executive" is so small, and there are tons of them around, that I think that's what I would go for. Again, $4,000 would get a pretty nice one. Plan B here would be an old Honda Pacific Coast (800). It is the most car-like MC ever made, it is comfortable, maneuverable, efficient, and packs a shit-load of storage capacity under the seat. Best of all, a very nice, low mileage PC800 can be had easily for $3 grand.

So, spending $7,000 for a Goldwing, $6,000 for a V-Rod, $3,500 for a V-Strom 650, $3,500 for an old CB Honda, and $3,500 for a Burgman: Five nice bikes for a total of $23,500.
I just want one.

motorcycle-Used-2016-Ural-M70-RETRO-SIDECAR-Motorcycles-For-Sale-in-Texas-TX-5001633466-5a79e0213edc7958983733be.jpg

My neighbor had one of those Urals for sale a few years ago. He bought it on a whim, had it for a couple years and was selling it with less than 600 miles on the ODO. He was selling it for quite a while. I don't know exactly what he got for it, but it was a fire sale price. Very nice machine, actually. Appeared to be well thought out and well put together.

My neighbor had one of those Urals for sale a few years ago. He bought it on a whim, had it for a couple years and was selling it with less than 600 miles on the ODO. He was selling it for quite a while. I don't know exactly what he got for it, but it was a fire sale price. Very nice machine, actually. Appeared to be well thought out and well put together.
They used to be somewhat problematic until Ural started to modernize them about eight years ago, been making them since WWII, since 2016 they've made a lot of modern changes. Now they're wonderful machines, not fast but fun if you like sidecars and they're all terrain. The one in the picture is the M70 Retro model which is more for pavement and light off-road. The Gear Up on the other hand can handle fairly heavy off-road stuff. I wouldn't sneeze at a Gear Up......

2018-ural-gear-up-2.jpg

Nice. Let us all know how this quest turns out.

I have a 1984 Kawasaki GPz 900 which I bought used from a cousin who in turn bought it while stationed as a Marine Embassy Guard in Okinawa. Might as well not even own the bike though, as my fiancé won't let me ride it. I also have, and actually get to ride, a 2012 BMW R1200RT--which we've ridden from Maryland to Texas. And finally, I have an old Gemini dirt bike I owned as a teenager, which my folks sold to family, and I had to repurchase. What else would I want in my stable? A Caviga Elefant for starters. Maybe a Harley Sport Glide.

Last edited:

I just want one.

motorcycle-Used-2016-Ural-M70-RETRO-SIDECAR-Motorcycles-For-Sale-in-Texas-TX-5001633466-5a79e0213edc7958983733be.jpg
Good choice!

TRIUMPH!

I'm down to five road bikes. Honda VFR and Suzuki Dr650 with Excel street rims are the bikes I beat the crap out of the most at them moment. You don't need to spend a lot to have tons of fun.

I also have an old little Honda cb450. Old school air cooled goodness, won't die. My 2 stroke mx collection is ridiculous I need to sell some.

My wife rides a Pacific Coast...she calls it "the perfect motorcycle." Equally at home running 80MPH on the highway or around town, comfortable enough for a long road trip (and with gigantic storage), and bulletproof even by Honda standards (which is saying something). About 117,000 miles on hers.

I am getting another Sportster to replace my crashed 1200T.

My wife rides a Pacific Coast...she calls it "the perfect motorcycle." Equally at home running 80MPH on the highway or around town, comfortable enough for a long road trip (and with gigantic storage), and bulletproof even by Honda standards (which is saying something). About 117,000 miles on hers.

I am getting another Sportster to replace my crashed 1200T.
The Pacific Coast seems to be an amazingly reliable and practical bike that never caught on because it got a reputation as "boring". Honda put out a lot of great and interesting bikes during the 80's-90's, including ATV's.

I hope you are getting along fine after the crash, it sounds like things are good if you are looking into another bike.

Last edited:

I just want one.

Will you go chasing down Steve McQueen if he escapes from the stalag?

I just want one.

Will you go chasing down Steve McQueen if he escapes from the stalag?
Why waste my time going after him besides, "I know nothink!"

Really want to get an '84 GL 1200 standard....Don't have any room to store it, though.

84_Goldwing_Standard%200005.jpg
That is some fine classic Honda porn. A little tlc and that bike could outlast you.

Heated winter storage for bikes is very reasonable. Look into it.

Forum List

Back