Motor Oil in my power steering: Me=Idiot

Turkey baster, excelent idea.

A variation to that idea that I use. Take a grease gun, remove the cartridge and cut the zert fitting connection tip off the hose. Makes a great suction tool, and the hose lets you get past obstructions and around corners.

You could actually put a little rubber hose on a turkey baster and have the same basic tool.

RWA...don't feel too dopey. I accidentally poured what I thought was coolant, into my truck radiator. I had asked my dad if I could use some of his coolant to get me to the store so I could get some more, and he told me it was in the garage above the bench...turns out the actual coolant i was looking for was in the cabinet right next to the container i grabbed. The container I grabbed had the label on it for coolant, but my dad had stored the lawnmower gas in it, but didn't label it otherwise.

I didn't pour more than say 8oz in, before I realized the color wasn't right, and it smelled like gas. I was so pissed off and my dad tried to say it was my fault for not checking. It was sort of my fault because I didn't, but he should have labeled the container. Plus, why was he keeping mower gas in an empty coolant bottle and not a gas can??? I spent a few hours flushing the system thoroughly. I was so pissed off. He still likes to poke fun at it, but I still say it is more his fault than mine.

fuzzykitten99 said:
RWA...don't feel too dopey. I accidentally poured what I thought was coolant, into my truck radiator. I had asked my dad if I could use some of his coolant to get me to the store so I could get some more, and he told me it was in the garage above the bench...turns out the actual coolant i was looking for was in the cabinet right next to the container i grabbed. The container I grabbed had the label on it for coolant, but my dad had stored the lawnmower gas in it, but didn't label it otherwise.

I didn't pour more than say 8oz in, before I realized the color wasn't right, and it smelled like gas. I was so pissed off and my dad tried to say it was my fault for not checking. It was sort of my fault because I didn't, but he should have labeled the container. Plus, why was he keeping mower gas in an empty coolant bottle and not a gas can??? I spent a few hours flushing the system thoroughly. I was so pissed off. He still likes to poke fun at it, but I still say it is more his fault than mine.

Not to "one up" you on this one but I filled an old tractor radiator full of gas once by mistake. The guy who started it up is lucky to be alive!

fuzzykitten99 said:
OMG!! that's too funny! I thought I was the only one who had managed this...

That cap was just the obvious place to fill with gas you know!------Never ask a boy from the city to help you on the farm.

I drove 50 miles sans oil-cap once:

130756_18_full.jpg

When I get home from work I'll show you what happened when my power-steering line burst. :(

I also blew a fuel line at 100psi of fuel, and 8psi of boost at WOT.

Not even a spark. Fixed the line, and kept driving. :)

fuzzykitten99 said:
I once drove around like that, but it wasn't 50 miles. I think it was only about 3-4, but my engine didn't get messy like that... I was more worried about stuff getting into the compartment.

It's a damn good thing we don't have to work on nuclear powered vehicles. :laugh:

dilloduck said:
It's a damn good thing we don't have to work on nuclear powered vehicles. :laugh:

too true!

I bet your engine smoked and stunk for days. I had my oil changed once, and they spilled oil, but neglected to clean it up. The car smelled horrible and smoked at every intersection I had to stop at, and the car was not even that old, so it was really embarrassing.

I don't put things in my car. There's a BUNCH of wires and pipes under that hood! Too complicated. Much easier just to let my husband do it. :)

mom4 said:
I don't put things in my car. There's a BUNCH of wires and pipes under that hood! Too complicated. Much easier just to let my husband do it. :)

Yeah. I need to find myself a good man. :cool:

rtwngAvngr said:
Yeah. I need to find myself a good man. :cool:
LOL!
RWA I never would have suspected that of you! :gay:

Move to the country. Out here we exchange work. My husband isn't very good at fixing a lot of things. But he knows his way around a computer. So, if we need our toilet fixed, we call up Mark or Jeff or Shawn. And my husband will get called up to set up other people's computers. It's a good system.

mom4 said:
i let Tim do most of this stuff as well, only because it makes him more familiar with the car, and I am just too lazy now to do it myself. I just didn't know how soon I would be married or if I would have a boyfriend that was willing to work on cars for me, so I made sure I took auto shop in HS just to learn basic stuff...learned a lot, and felt good knowing how to change a flat, my own oil, flush a cooling system, change air filters, spark plugs, brakes (disc only, I hate drums but could if i had to), light bulbs, batteries, jump starts...pretty basic stuff. Ya never know when you won't have a man around (or a nearby shop) to do those things or help. Plus I don't trust strange men on a dark road...too many wierdos out there.

Forum List

Back