Mothers' Day and "Fur Babies"

They have to play victim for as long as possible first.

tumblr_m72qn8jy8G1qh502no1_500.gif

Why, oh why, do I check back on these nutcase threads?

"I thought I could wander in and take over,"
Is that what you think of anyone who dares reply to your threads, or is it just me and my threatening 9 lines over three posts? Actually, that is exactly the attitude of yours that I was responding to in the first place. Arrogance galore. I'll leave it there since we are in a polite forum (your own behavior to the contrary).

No, Chuckles, that's just what I think of people who feel compelled to join threads for the purpose of stating how stupid they are, and then start excoriating people for things they didn't say and points that they didn't make, because they didn't bother to comprehend the topic before spouting off.
I didn't say your thread was stupid. I offered another opinion on the holy superiority of mothers, the underlying basis of your OP, is all. If you don't like to be disagreed with, I suggest you take Gracie's advice to have "sent the OP to yourself in an email so you could agree with yourself."

If you and Gracie think responding to disagreement = "don't like being disagreed with and shouldn't talk", that just means you're leftist snowflakes. And I already knew that.

The REAL problem here is not that I have a problem with disagreement; it's that YOU TWO have a problem with getting any response to what you say other than, "You're so right, you're so brave, speak your truth". Both of you should know by now that any thread I'm in ain't gonna be like that.
So we HAVE met before. The REAL problem here is that regardless of what I say, you are going to twist it and turn me into something I'm not because you disagree with my politics. It is so disappointing that posters must carry grudges. It makes any true discussion or argument impossible. I heard exactly what you said without any preconceived notions about you. Too bad you can't do the same.

If you're planning to storm off in high dudgeon as you said you were going to, could you please get on with it, already? 'Kay thanks bye.
There you go again. But yeah, I guess I've seen all I need to of what a loving committed human you are. Give yourself a medal.

No, Chuckles, that's just what I think of people who feel compelled to join threads for the purpose of stating how stupid they are, and then start excoriating people for things they didn't say and points that they didn't make, because they didn't bother to comprehend the topic before spouting off.
I didn't say your thread was stupid. I offered another opinion on the holy superiority of mothers, the underlying basis of your OP, is all. If you don't like to be disagreed with, I suggest you take Gracie's advice to have "sent the OP to yourself in an email so you could agree with yourself."

If you and Gracie think responding to disagreement = "don't like being disagreed with and shouldn't talk", that just means you're leftist snowflakes. And I already knew that.

The REAL problem here is not that I have a problem with disagreement; it's that YOU TWO have a problem with getting any response to what you say other than, "You're so right, you're so brave, speak your truth". Both of you should know by now that any thread I'm in ain't gonna be like that.
So we HAVE met before. The REAL problem here is that regardless of what I say, you are going to twist it and turn me into something I'm not because you disagree with my politics. It is so disappointing that posters must carry grudges. It makes any true discussion or argument impossible. I heard exactly what you said without any preconceived notions about you. Too bad you can't do the same.

If you're planning to storm off in high dudgeon as you said you were going to, could you please get on with it, already? 'Kay thanks bye.
There you go again. But yeah, I guess I've seen all I need to of what a loving committed human you are. Give yourself a medal.

Are you still here? What do you need, an engraved permission slip to flounce out in a snit? Get on with it.

Hey, I don't necessarily want to see them, either. But they still deserve more credit and respect than to be equated with someone who dropped $50 at the Humane Society and now thinks she's the frigging Madonna complete with halo.
So who are you to judge on what constitutes love?

Just a rational human being who keeps being asked to smile and nod at increasingly irrational nonsense.

Free country, hon. I'm allowed to hold any opinion I want, and to express it as I please. No one's making you read it, respond to it, or agree with it.
Agreed. But..you started the thread and its your complaint. If you did not want differing opinions..perhaps you should have sent the OP to yourself in an email so you could agree with yourself?
I get what you are saying. I do. But you refuse to get what others are saying. To ME, personally, my dog IS like my child due to the fact I take care of its needs. That might make you want to barf, but oh well. Seeing people dress up their little dogs in people clothes makes me want to barf too, but I don't start threads about it and then get upset or indignant when those who do such things post their own opinions about why they do it.

Yeah, I can see bows in a Pekinese and it's kinda cute, but when I saw nail polish on it's claws, I had to walk away......Oh good grief:eek:

We have a large pit bull. He has been with us since he was weaned, which is 11? 12? years now.

My son didn't get him neutered during the time he had him. When he came to live permanently with me I made the appointment.

I came home from work to pick him up and he was in the middle of the living room laying on his belly, surrounded by about 5 giggling girls. He had green sparkly nail polish on his toes.

I took him to the vet's office, and apologized for his ridiculous appearance.

"No we like to see that," the girls said. "It means he's not going to try to kill us." HAHAHHAA
I dunno I thought it was funny.

See, I wouldn't get any of my sons neutered.

But I will neuter my dogs. That's one difference right there.

Now see, I don't have a problem with kids doing something like that. They're kids. Even teens cause well, we all know teens are a bit crazy and I say that in good humor........as long as they take it off soon enough. But a grown adult putting polish on a dog??? IDK, to each their own I guess, but it's definitely not something I would do or think appropriate.

I agree that is funny about the vet saying that :laugh:

All of our pets are spayed or neutered cause that is just responsible pet ownership. I'm not a breeder and there are already too many strays or abused & neglected pets out there, so it's the right thing to do. All except the chickens, those I do want to breed......but then I don't see them as pets ;)

Another difference is that we make all choices for their care, including getting fixed, what to eat, when to go out or where, etc

So who are you to judge on what constitutes love?

Just a rational human being who keeps being asked to smile and nod at increasingly irrational nonsense.

Free country, hon. I'm allowed to hold any opinion I want, and to express it as I please. No one's making you read it, respond to it, or agree with it.
Agreed. But..you started the thread and its your complaint. If you did not want differing opinions..perhaps you should have sent the OP to yourself in an email so you could agree with yourself?
I get what you are saying. I do. But you refuse to get what others are saying. To ME, personally, my dog IS like my child due to the fact I take care of its needs. That might make you want to barf, but oh well. Seeing people dress up their little dogs in people clothes makes me want to barf too, but I don't start threads about it and then get upset or indignant when those who do such things post their own opinions about why they do it.

Yeah, I can see bows in a Pekinese and it's kinda cute, but when I saw nail polish on it's claws, I had to walk away......Oh good grief:eek:

We have a large pit bull. He has been with us since he was weaned, which is 11? 12? years now.

My son didn't get him neutered during the time he had him. When he came to live permanently with me I made the appointment.

I came home from work to pick him up and he was in the middle of the living room laying on his belly, surrounded by about 5 giggling girls. He had green sparkly nail polish on his toes.

"No we like to see that," the girls said. "It means he's not going to try to kill us." HAHAHHAA

Now see, I don't have a problem with kids doing something like that. They're kids. Even teens cause well, we all know teens are a bit crazy and I say that in good humor........as long as they take it off soon enough. But a grown adult putting polish on a dog??? IDK, to each their own I guess, but it's definitely not something I would do or think appropriate.

All of our pets are spayed or neutered cause that is just responsible pet ownership. I'm not a breeder and there are already too many strays or abused & neglected pets out there, so it's the right thing to do. All except the chickens, those I do want to breed......but then I don't see them as pets ;)

Another difference is that we make all choices for their care, including getting fixed, what to eat, when to go out or where, etc
Aw don't be a spoil sport. We painted the nails of our poodles, too. Snooper loved the attention.

Well, another Mothers' Day has come and gone, and yet again my social media has exploded with benighted yahoos blathering on about "I'm a mother too; my pets are my children" and "Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there (fur babies count too!)", etc. ad nauseam.

May I interject a little curmudgeonly reality here (I won't say "Can I" because I think we all know I'm fully capable of it)? Leaving aside the sickeningly cutesy-poo label of "fur babies" for a moment, let me just state this categorically: they are not "your children". They are pets. And you are a pet owner, not a mother. As an ACTUAL mother, I am out of patience with pretending not to be offended by softheaded dimwits trying to draw an equivalency between my relationship with my children and theirs with their cat, dog, [fill in the fuzzy lower lifeform here].

We celebrate Mothers' Day for a reason. Being a mother is a huge, complicated, often-painful, lifelong undertaking. You bring forth an actual human being from your own body, through your blood, sweat, and pain (or, in the case of adoptive mothers, you take on the responsibilities of a child who has no one else in the world through an expensive, emotionally-agonizing legal process which typically takes far longer than an actual pregnancy does). If you're any kind of decent mother, that little human being becomes more important to you than anything else in the world, including yourself. You feel more joy at their accomplishments than you ever have at your own, you bleed inside every time they're hurt, you rearrange your entire existence around their care and nurturing. And if, God forbid, they die before you do, you carry that heartbreak with you every day forever.

We don't celebrate Pet Owners Day (or "Fur Mommies Day", if you insist) for a reason. You spend a half-hour to an hour filling out paperwork (maybe more, if the animal is pedigreed), hand over some cash, and ta daaah! You buy some food and toys, take them to the veterinarian once in a while, and you pet them while you watch TV. One assumes that you get upset if they get sick or injured (I'd certainly like to believe no one here is so heartless as to not care), but if you really believe it compares to the tortures of the damned experienced by actual parents of actual children who are in the hospital, you're delusional. And WHEN they die before you do (because pets generally have a significantly shorter lifespan than humans), you cry and feel sad and depressed (again, one hopes), and then you eventually get another pet.

Know how I know "fur babies" aren't the equivalent of children? Ask yourself what your reaction would be if your dog was diagnosed with metastasized cancer. Would you go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt for chemo or radiation therapy and multiple operations to extend his life? Or would you have the vet put him to sleep? Now ask yourself the same question if your child was diagnosed with the same cancer.

"Fur mommies" are basically just trying to horn in on the attention and adulation being handed out, without making the commitment. Let's just state that baldly. They want the status without putting in the work. And I am tired of hearing it. No, your "babies" are not just like my children; none of MY children have ever sat in the middle of the living room floor with company over and licked their own genitals, all right?

Your right, sometimes they just need to know when to cut the cord

5e0ba33574f853ee24bca8c35cdcc237.jpg

Aw don't be a spoil sport. We painted the nails of our poodles, too. Snooper loved the attention.

The dog generally doesn't care. And sometimes, it can help keep their claws from chipping and splintering, which can be painful for them.

I know a lady with a standard Poodle who has the hip, shoulder, and head poufs cut into the shapes of the suits on a deck of playing cards, and then has them temporarily dyed the appropriate colors. Whatever.

Well, another Mothers' Day has come and gone, and yet again my social media has exploded with benighted yahoos blathering on about "I'm a mother too; my pets are my children" and "Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there (fur babies count too!)", etc. ad nauseam.

May I interject a little curmudgeonly reality here (I won't say "Can I" because I think we all know I'm fully capable of it)? Leaving aside the sickeningly cutesy-poo label of "fur babies" for a moment, let me just state this categorically: they are not "your children". They are pets. And you are a pet owner, not a mother. As an ACTUAL mother, I am out of patience with pretending not to be offended by softheaded dimwits trying to draw an equivalency between my relationship with my children and theirs with their cat, dog, [fill in the fuzzy lower lifeform here].

We celebrate Mothers' Day for a reason. Being a mother is a huge, complicated, often-painful, lifelong undertaking. You bring forth an actual human being from your own body, through your blood, sweat, and pain (or, in the case of adoptive mothers, you take on the responsibilities of a child who has no one else in the world through an expensive, emotionally-agonizing legal process which typically takes far longer than an actual pregnancy does). If you're any kind of decent mother, that little human being becomes more important to you than anything else in the world, including yourself. You feel more joy at their accomplishments than you ever have at your own, you bleed inside every time they're hurt, you rearrange your entire existence around their care and nurturing. And if, God forbid, they die before you do, you carry that heartbreak with you every day forever.

We don't celebrate Pet Owners Day (or "Fur Mommies Day", if you insist) for a reason. You spend a half-hour to an hour filling out paperwork (maybe more, if the animal is pedigreed), hand over some cash, and ta daaah! You buy some food and toys, take them to the veterinarian once in a while, and you pet them while you watch TV. One assumes that you get upset if they get sick or injured (I'd certainly like to believe no one here is so heartless as to not care), but if you really believe it compares to the tortures of the damned experienced by actual parents of actual children who are in the hospital, you're delusional. And WHEN they die before you do (because pets generally have a significantly shorter lifespan than humans), you cry and feel sad and depressed (again, one hopes), and then you eventually get another pet.

Know how I know "fur babies" aren't the equivalent of children? Ask yourself what your reaction would be if your dog was diagnosed with metastasized cancer. Would you go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt for chemo or radiation therapy and multiple operations to extend his life? Or would you have the vet put him to sleep? Now ask yourself the same question if your child was diagnosed with the same cancer.

"Fur mommies" are basically just trying to horn in on the attention and adulation being handed out, without making the commitment. Let's just state that baldly. They want the status without putting in the work. And I am tired of hearing it. No, your "babies" are not just like my children; none of MY children have ever sat in the middle of the living room floor with company over and licked their own genitals, all right?

Your right, sometimes they just need to know when to cut the cord

5e0ba33574f853ee24bca8c35cdcc237.jpg

And again, people can be as pathologically attached to their pets as they want. I couldn't care less. But I'm sick and tired of them trying to horn in on Mothers' Day without making any of the commitment of ACTUALLY BECOMING A MOTHER.

Ok, whatever floats your boat.......just don't expect me to do it. But then I have male dogs, and I'd have a heck of a time getting them to sit still for it, not to mention the Jack would probably bite me :rolleyes-41:

Ok, whatever floats your boat.......just don't expect me to do it. But then I have male dogs, and I'd have a heck of a time getting them to sit still for it, not to mention the Jack would probably bite me :rolleyes-41:
Snoop is a male! Less male than he was before the fingernail incident..but still.

Forum List

Back