Mothers' Day and "Fur Babies"

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Well, another Mothers' Day has come and gone, and yet again my social media has exploded with benighted yahoos blathering on about "I'm a mother too; my pets are my children" and "Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there (fur babies count too!)", etc. ad nauseam.

May I interject a little curmudgeonly reality here (I won't say "Can I" because I think we all know I'm fully capable of it)? Leaving aside the sickeningly cutesy-poo label of "fur babies" for a moment, let me just state this categorically: they are not "your children". They are pets. And you are a pet owner, not a mother. As an ACTUAL mother, I am out of patience with pretending not to be offended by softheaded dimwits trying to draw an equivalency between my relationship with my children and theirs with their cat, dog, [fill in the fuzzy lower lifeform here].

We celebrate Mothers' Day for a reason. Being a mother is a huge, complicated, often-painful, lifelong undertaking. You bring forth an actual human being from your own body, through your blood, sweat, and pain (or, in the case of adoptive mothers, you take on the responsibilities of a child who has no one else in the world through an expensive, emotionally-agonizing legal process which typically takes far longer than an actual pregnancy does). If you're any kind of decent mother, that little human being becomes more important to you than anything else in the world, including yourself. You feel more joy at their accomplishments than you ever have at your own, you bleed inside every time they're hurt, you rearrange your entire existence around their care and nurturing. And if, God forbid, they die before you do, you carry that heartbreak with you every day forever.

We don't celebrate Pet Owners Day (or "Fur Mommies Day", if you insist) for a reason. You spend a half-hour to an hour filling out paperwork (maybe more, if the animal is pedigreed), hand over some cash, and ta daaah! You buy some food and toys, take them to the veterinarian once in a while, and you pet them while you watch TV. One assumes that you get upset if they get sick or injured (I'd certainly like to believe no one here is so heartless as to not care), but if you really believe it compares to the tortures of the damned experienced by actual parents of actual children who are in the hospital, you're delusional. And WHEN they die before you do (because pets generally have a significantly shorter lifespan than humans), you cry and feel sad and depressed (again, one hopes), and then you eventually get another pet.

Know how I know "fur babies" aren't the equivalent of children? Ask yourself what your reaction would be if your dog was diagnosed with metastasized cancer. Would you go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt for chemo or radiation therapy and multiple operations to extend his life? Or would you have the vet put him to sleep? Now ask yourself the same question if your child was diagnosed with the same cancer.

"Fur mommies" are basically just trying to horn in on the attention and adulation being handed out, without making the commitment. Let's just state that baldly. They want the status without putting in the work. And I am tired of hearing it. No, your "babies" are not just like my children; none of MY children have ever sat in the middle of the living room floor with company over and licked their own genitals, all right?

I am a fur mommy and my fur baby means as much to me as any child from my body.

My fur baby is better than children. My fur baby won't answer back, get an attitude or have a moment when I am not loved and respected.

My fur baby means as much to me or perhaps more than your children mean to you. If you don't like it, then you can suck it up buttercup. There isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

My fur baby is better than children. My fur baby won't answer back, get an attitude or have a moment when I am not loved and respected.

My fur baby means as much to me or perhaps more than your children mean to you. If you don't like it, then you can suck it up buttercup. There isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

Except to tell you that you're either delusional or dangerously delusional.

All I just heard is "I'm too outraged that you rejected my worldview to actually read what you said, let alone think about it!"

When you have something real to say that pertains to my post, rather than just "Outrage! OUTRAAAAAGE!!!" let me know.

Sorry, Cecille, but I think you need to get over yourself.
If someone wants to call themselves a "fur mommy," it's no skin off my nose. Mothers are just as fucked up as anyone else, including people who think their cats or dogs are fur babies.

If someone wants to call themselves a "fur mommy," it's no skin off my nose. Mothers are just as fucked up as anyone else, including people who think their cats or dogs are fur babies.

Sorry, Granny, but you need to put a check on your eagerness to be offended, at least long enough to comprehend what's being said.

I don't give a rat's fat ass if someone wants to call herself a "fur mommy", so long as they don't mind me gagging a little. So I have no need to "get over myself" about telling them not to, since I didn't.

Furthermore, I never said anything about whether or not "mothers are just as fucked up as anyone else", although your blanket cynicism tells us nothing about motherhood, and everything about you and your childhood, and perhaps you should share it with a therapist who at least gets paid to listen to you drivel on.

Perhaps you could try directing your "I must take offense and contradict NO MATTER WHAT!" at something I actually said. Just a suggestion.

Well, another Mothers' Day has come and gone, and yet again my social media has exploded with benighted yahoos blathering on about "I'm a mother too; my pets are my children" and "Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there (fur babies count too!)", etc. ad nauseam.

May I interject a little curmudgeonly reality here (I won't say "Can I" because I think we all know I'm fully capable of it)? Leaving aside the sickeningly cutesy-poo label of "fur babies" for a moment, let me just state this categorically: they are not "your children". They are pets. And you are a pet owner, not a mother. As an ACTUAL mother, I am out of patience with pretending not to be offended by softheaded dimwits trying to draw an equivalency between my relationship with my children and theirs with their cat, dog, [fill in the fuzzy lower lifeform here].

We celebrate Mothers' Day for a reason. Being a mother is a huge, complicated, often-painful, lifelong undertaking. You bring forth an actual human being from your own body, through your blood, sweat, and pain (or, in the case of adoptive mothers, you take on the responsibilities of a child who has no one else in the world through an expensive, emotionally-agonizing legal process which typically takes far longer than an actual pregnancy does). If you're any kind of decent mother, that little human being becomes more important to you than anything else in the world, including yourself. You feel more joy at their accomplishments than you ever have at your own, you bleed inside every time they're hurt, you rearrange your entire existence around their care and nurturing. And if, God forbid, they die before you do, you carry that heartbreak with you every day forever.

We don't celebrate Pet Owners Day (or "Fur Mommies Day", if you insist) for a reason. You spend a half-hour to an hour filling out paperwork (maybe more, if the animal is pedigreed), hand over some cash, and ta daaah! You buy some food and toys, take them to the veterinarian once in a while, and you pet them while you watch TV. One assumes that you get upset if they get sick or injured (I'd certainly like to believe no one here is so heartless as to not care), but if you really believe it compares to the tortures of the damned experienced by actual parents of actual children who are in the hospital, you're delusional. And WHEN they die before you do (because pets generally have a significantly shorter lifespan than humans), you cry and feel sad and depressed (again, one hopes), and then you eventually get another pet.

Know how I know "fur babies" aren't the equivalent of children? Ask yourself what your reaction would be if your dog was diagnosed with metastasized cancer. Would you go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt for chemo or radiation therapy and multiple operations to extend his life? Or would you have the vet put him to sleep? Now ask yourself the same question if your child was diagnosed with the same cancer.

"Fur mommies" are basically just trying to horn in on the attention and adulation being handed out, without making the commitment. Let's just state that baldly. They want the status without putting in the work. And I am tired of hearing it. No, your "babies" are not just like my children; none of MY children have ever sat in the middle of the living room floor with company over and licked their own genitals, all right?

Excellent treatise as always. And I clicked in because I know to expect quality writing from your quill.

However I think you have misunderestimated the pleasures of licking one's own genitals. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Sorry, Granny, but you need to put a check on your eagerness to be offended, at least long enough to comprehend what's being said.

I don't give a rat's fat ass if someone wants to call herself a "fur mommy", so long as they don't mind me gagging a little. So I have no need to "get over myself" about telling them not to, since I didn't.

Furthermore, I never said anything about whether or not "mothers are just as fucked up as anyone else", although your blanket cynicism tells us nothing about motherhood, and everything about you and your childhood, and perhaps you should share it with a therapist who at least gets paid to listen to you drivel on.

Perhaps you could try directing your "I must take offense and contradict NO MATTER WHAT!" at something I actually said. Just a suggestion.
you need to put a check on your eagerness to be offended
:blahblah:You're the one who just wrote a lengthy rant about being offended, not me. I said I wasn't offended. I speak from experience, as both a mother and a grandmother and of course a daughter, and it wasn't cynical so much as true. The biological outcome of repeated sexual encounters doesn't make us anything special.

perhaps you should share it with a therapist who at least gets paid to listen to you drivel on.

Take your own damn advice

Regardless of your intent with this thread, you do come across as a cold hearted bitch with your nose so far in the air you can't see in front of you.

There are many people that rely on those 'fur babies' for their very lives and others for the emotional support of true unconditional love they get from said pets that they don't or can't get from anyone else. Animals, pets, fur babies can be and are just as important in many peoples lives, as human babies

Absolutely true, If girls can now have penises, you absolutely came believe you are the mother of your cats. Isn't the internet a wonderful place?

Question at what age will they hit maturity and leave your nest?

Excellent treatise as always. And I clicked in because I know to expect quality writing from your quill.

However I think you have misunderestimated the pleasures of licking one's own genitals. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Why am I not surprised to see you taking a turn for the stupid.........nevermind, I won't get into it

Why am I not surprised to see you taking a turn for the stupid.........nevermind, I won't get into it

Cecile is both feisty and articulate. I can relate to both of those. She and I may fight like cats 'n' dogs ideologically but we have those stylistic traits in common, so I respect that. :)

I gag when some schmuck drags out their wallet to show pics of their kids and grandkids. So...ok. Whatever floats a boat.

Hey, I said nothing about the "pleasures". I just pointed out that my children have never done so, and as far as I know, have never been able to do so.

:blahblah:You're the one who just wrote a lengthy rant about being offended, not me. I said I wasn't offended. I speak from experience, as both a mother and a grandmother and of course a daughter, and it wasn't cynical so much as true. The biological outcome of repeated sexual encounters doesn't make us anything special.

Yes, but unlike you, I wrote it AFTER thinking very carefully about what I wanted to say and whether or not I wanted to say it, AND I actually managed to address the salient points. You, on the other hand, blathered on about irrelevancies unrelated to anything actually said. You may "speak from experience", but you're not speaking ABOUT THE TOPIC.

Also, please note that I was pretty clear that motherhood doesn't stop with pushing the kid out. The motherhood of which I spoke - the motherhood we celebrate on Mothers' Day - is all about the commitment, which DOES make one special, and which is NOT comparable to having a pet, no matter how much you spoil the little ankle biter.

perhaps you should share it with a therapist who at least gets paid to listen to you drivel on.

Take your own damn advice

Regardless of your intent with this thread, you do come across as a cold hearted bitch with your nose so far in the air you can't see in front of you.

There are many people that rely on those 'fur babies' for their very lives and others for the emotional support of true unconditional love they get from said pets that they don't or can't get from anyone else. Animals, pets, fur babies can be and are just as important in many peoples lives, as human babies

No, they can't.

All other things being equal, and not digressing onto wild extremes (as so many snowflakes feel required to do), pets are wonderful additions to a person's life, but they are not children. Not now, not ever.

From my OP:

"Know how I know "fur babies" aren't the equivalent of children? Ask yourself what your reaction would be if your dog was diagnosed with metastasized cancer. Would you go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt for chemo or radiation therapy and multiple operations to extend his life? Or would you have the vet put him to sleep? Now ask yourself the same question if your child was diagnosed with the same cancer."

Feel free to take some time out of your rhapsodizing to address these questions, and tell me about mortgaging your house to pay for your dog's cancer treatments, quitting your job so you could drive him to and from the hospital, sitting by his bedside for months on end, holding his paw and praying fervently every moment for God to take you instead. Tell me about how, years later, you still visit his grave and cry. Tell me how, when it comes right down to where the rubber meets the road, your pet is EXACTLY like a child. I dare you.

Cecile is both feisty and articulate. I can relate to both of those. She and I may fight like cats 'n' dogs ideologically but we have those stylistic traits in common, so I respect that. :)

I'll give you credit. When I get pissed off at you, you don't start crying about it and run away. You just fight back. I appreciate that.

Yes, but unlike you, I wrote it AFTER thinking very carefully about what I wanted to say and whether or not I wanted to say it, AND I actually managed to address the salient points. You, on the other hand, blathered on about irrelevancies unrelated to anything actually said. You may "speak from experience", but you're not speaking ABOUT THE TOPIC.

Also, please note that I was pretty clear that motherhood doesn't stop with pushing the kid out. The motherhood of which I spoke - the motherhood we celebrate on Mothers' Day - is all about the commitment, which DOES make one special, and which is NOT comparable to having a pet, no matter how much you spoil the little ankle biter.
You're shadow boxing. I'll leave you to it.

I'll give you credit. When I get pissed off at you, you don't start crying about it and run away. You just fight back. I appreciate that.

And exactly the same applies back. Revolting as it may be to either of us, in that way we're made of the same stuff. :beer:

OK so this is a bit creepy. It was a quick observation in the cause of honesty.and credit where due but that's enough of that, back to battle stations, our comfort zone :Boom2:

I gag when some schmuck drags out their wallet to show pics of their kids and grandkids. So...ok. Whatever floats a boat.

Hey, I don't necessarily want to see them, either. But they still deserve more credit and respect than to be equated with someone who dropped $50 at the Humane Society and now thinks she's the frigging Madonna complete with halo.

You're shadow boxing. I'll leave you to it.

I just heard "I thought I could wander in and take over, and instead I got my ass handed to me."

Forum List

Back