Mother jailed for sending her kids to better school

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
An Ohio mother's attempt to provide her daughters with a better education has landed her behind bars. Kelley Williams-Bolar was convicted of lying about her residency to get her daughters into a better school district.

The district hired a private investigator, who shot video showing Williams-Bolar driving her children into the district.

The school officials asked her to pay $30,000 in back tuition.

Williams-Bolar refused and was indicted and convicted of falsifying her residency records.

She was sentenced last week to 10 days in county jail and put on three years of probation.

She will also be required to perform community service, the Beacon Journal reported.

Ohio Mom Kelley Williams-Bolar Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District - ABC News

Check out the title of the article: Ohio Mom Kelley Williams-Bolar Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District

Um. No. She was not jailed for wanting a better education for her kids. She was jailed for stealing $30,000 from the taxpayers of that school.

What good parents do is MOVE. Or if they can't move, they PAY TUITION.

They are going to make this woman the poster child for school choice. Until that's the law of the land, people are just going to have to follow the fucking rules.

We Report/We Decide Syndrome. Don't worry about it! We'll let you know how to react. ;)

As for her trying to send her kids to a school in a higher tax bracket, just goes to show that the poor will always be stupid for their school districts can't provide... Now whethers thats a parents choice to stay poor or luck of the draw will always be debatable.

As for her being singled out, at one point they do mention 100s of other families under investigation. Did anybody else face criminal charges or did she initially try and fight it by using she lived part time with her dad?

This happens ALL the time, using an aunt or grandma's address as place of residence so they can attend that school instead of the one in their district.

Sometimes the social workers will make house calls to see if the child is really living there, but other times they don't have the time or resources to do that.

Check out the title of the article: Ohio Mom Kelley Williams-Bolar Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District

Um. No. She was not jailed for wanting a better education for her kids. She was jailed for stealing $30,000 from the taxpayers of that school.

They are going to make this woman the poster child for school choice. Until that's the law of the land, people are just going to have to follow the fucking rules.

Do illegal Mexicans follow the rules? Nope, we pay more then $30,000 a year for their children to go to school in a country they are trespassing in.

She illegally crossed a "border" so her kid can have a better life?

...interesting :eusa_think:

I must ponder this for a while.

She illegally crossed a "border" so her kid can have a better life?

...interesting :eusa_think:

I must ponder this for a while.

Yeah, and caught, jailed, and fined. AND the kid booted out. Works for me.

An Ohio mother's attempt to provide her daughters with a better education has landed her behind bars. Kelley Williams-Bolar was convicted of lying about her residency to get her daughters into a better school district.

The district hired a private investigator, who shot video showing Williams-Bolar driving her children into the district.

Williams-Bolar refused and was indicted and convicted of falsifying her residency records.

She was sentenced last week to 10 days in county jail and put on three years of probation.

She will also be required to perform community service, the Beacon Journal reported.

Ohio Mom Kelley Williams-Bolar Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District - ABC News

To bad so sad for her and her kid. I hope it scares the shit out of every other parent doing the same thing.

If she wanted to be in that school district then she should move into that school district. I have no sympathy for her.

School choice would not get her kids into an out of district school, that is misleading. What it does do is allow the parents to apply whatever voucher they are given, a fraction of what it costs to send them to their public school and apply that towards tuition at another district, (if the district is willing and has the room) or a private school.

It seems like the school district she was ripping off wants $6k per year, so the parents could perhaps apply a $1800 voucher towards that amount. Somehow I'm guessing this mother wouldn't.

Exactly and as EZ noted, this is not uncommon. But everyone who does it, understands the risks. We actually have tuition paying students in a nearby district. Why should those parents have to pay, while others get away with breaking the law? No sympathy either. The school paid a private investigator to
uncover fraud. He earned his pay.

That headline really irked me.

This happens ALL the time, using an aunt or grandma's address as place of residence so they can attend that school instead of the one in their district.

Sometimes the social workers will make house calls to see if the child is really living there, but other times they don't have the time or resources to do that.

Here too. We have high performing and very expensive public school system. We also have parents that have given a relative or friend custody of their kids and have them home only on the weekends. They know that the districts will check up on homes and they do so regularly. I think the districts figure at the present time, it's not so widespread as to be impossible and the kids are often among the best behaved. They know they are 'guests' of the relatives and the school districts.

Exactly and as EZ noted, this is not uncommon. But everyone who does it, understands the risks. We actually have tuition paying students in a nearby district. Why should those parents have to pay, while others get away with breaking the law? No sympathy either. The school paid a private investigator to
uncover fraud. He earned his pay.

That headline really irked me.

I definitely agree that laws have been broken and fraud has been committed.

However, I can think of worse things that could have been done.

She was jailed for stealing $30,000 from the taxpayers of that school.

School districts steal thousands of dollars from me every single year in property taxes for schools that I don't use as I send my son to a private school. Can I prosecute the school district for stealing taxpayer dollars?

School districts steal thousands of dollars from me every single year in property taxes for schools that I don't use as I send my son to a private school. Can I prosecute the school district for stealing taxpayer dollars?

Yes, but those that DON'T have kids are paying the same amount of taxes for those schools as you are, is that fair also?

YOU made the choice to send your child to a private school.

Maybe all of you that don't have kids or homeschool or use a private school could sue!

Yes, but those that DON'T have kids are paying the same amount of taxes for those schools as you are, is that fair also?

YOU made the choice to send your child to a private school.

Maybe all of you that don't have kids or homeschool or use a private school could sue!
I have no qualms with my taxes funding the public education system that makes sure your fucking children can enter the work force, achieve gainful employment, and become productive members of society.

In principle, at least. There are plenty of details I take issue with when it comes to how exactly our local school systems operate, but we're talking broad strokes here.

Actually you do use those tax dollars spent in public education in many ways everyday.

People use public school educations all the time.

Whenever they get their car serviced and the repair person was educated in a public school.

Whenever they get ill and go to the Doctor and the Doctor was educated in a public school.

When you go to the grocery store and buy the food raised by the farmer or rancher that was educated in a public school.

When you read a newspaper or magazine and the reporter was educated in a public school.

Whenever they get injured an accident the Paramedic that responds was educated in a public school.

Whenever you are wrongly accused of a crime and the Lawyer defending you was educated in a public school.

When you drive on a road designed and built by people that were educated in public schools.

When you go to the Dentist office and the hygienist cleans your teeth was educated in a public school.

When you use a lawn mower build by people educated in a public school.

Whenever you don't feel like cooking and go out to eat and the Chef was educated in a pubic school.

Whenever your internet connection goes down and the Cable Guy that comes to your house was educated in a public school.

When your hair gets a little shaggy and you go to the barber to get it cut and they were educated in a public school.

Whenever in the sweltering heat of summer and the HVAC Technician who comes to your house was educated in a public school.

When you build a house the contractor/carpenter/roofer/electrician etc… were educated in public schools.

Whenever you exercise your freedoms protected by that sailor/soldier/marine who was educated in a public school.

When you get on a plan to fly to your private vacation home in the Rockies and the pilot was educated in a public school.’

Whenever you call the Fire Department because your house is on fire and those who respond were educated in the public school.

When you read the newspaper and the reporter who wrote the article was educated in the public school.

When the Police come to your house after a break-in was educated in public schools.

When you toilet plugs and you have to get a Plumber to the house who was educated in public schools.

When the teacher in the Private School was educated in the public schools.

When they turn on the water and it is delivered by the water system maintained by those with public school education.

When they talk on the telephone on systems maintained by those with a public school education.

When they call their Congressman who may have been educated in the public school system.

etc...

.........etc...

People with no children gain the benefits of public education every day.

People with children in private schools still gain the benefits of a public education everyday even though they don't choose it for their children.

>>>>

Forum List

Back