Mother-in-law is moving in

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
So, Mr Obama's mother-in-law is moving into the Whitehouse with the family.
Now check this out, do you think Marian Robinson ever imagined she would move into the Whitehouse?
Do you think she ever considered that a possibility for her life as she was growing up?

Personally, I wouldn't have wanted my mother-in-law living with me when I was married. Nothing against my mother-in-law, she's a nice lady, and we still email each other now and then and I've been divorced for almost 18 years. But I still wouldn't have wanted her living with me.

I'm sure Malia and Natasha will be happy to have their grandmother living with them. In fact, it's probably a really good move to help keep some stability for those girls. Mr Obama will be quite busy, and Michelle will obviously have some things that she (as the First Lady) will have to do that will at times make both parents unavailable to the children. I'm sure grandma is a much better option than a nanny for those times.

I guess in more ways than one, it's kind of cool.

News stories say that it might not be permanent for Mrs Robinson to remain there, but for the families (and especially the children), I think it might be a good thing if she can remain as the resident First Grandmother.

I think it's great! Kids need a connection to their grandparents. And yes, I'm sure she will be a big help with the 2 girls, just like my mom helped me with my daughter whenever I needed her. ( I love you mom! :) )

I like the idea of "First Grandmother!"

Very Cool!

I think it's great! Kids need a connection to their grandparents. And yes, I'm sure she will be a big help with the 2 girls, just like my mom helped me with my daughter whenever I needed her. ( I love you mom! :) )

Very Cool!
I can disagree with his politics all I want to, but I can't disagree with putting family first, regardless of the politics.

Very Cool!

i would find the idea of a secret service detail between me and my MIL very reassuring.

I wouldn't want to compare myself to anyone, much less the President, First Lady, and her mother.

I will speak from experience though for the children of parents too distracted to parent and the good that can come from grandparents being available, if not living with.

Actually my parents really helped even before the breakup of my marriage, but more so after. They provided the stability that kids ages 8-12 needed, when neither parent could or would. They were there to make sure homework was done and tears were acknowledged and dried. (Lots of guilt on my part, but truth is the truth). They were the ones to tip me off that one of the kids, was running into law problems-aged 8. (My brother, the cop, was hiding the problem. Of course it was the 'gifted' child).

They were the ones telling the kids that sometimes parents are 'hurting' too much to do what they should, but 'they' were lucky, they had family that would help them through and they needn't worry, their mom and dad loved them and would kick themselves later.

Amazingly, in spite of the animosity my parents felt for my ex, they were quite even handed about both parents. It took a toll on my mom, since the kids' father was not only having an affair, but actively involving them in behaviors that would get them labeled in school as 'sexually precocious.' Nevertheless, my parents acted as the psychiatrists recommended, laying blame not on parent, but behavior.

I think considering the Obama children's ages, their parents' responsibilities, the grandma in picture is a good thing.

So, Mr Obama's mother-in-law is moving into the Whitehouse with the family.
Now check this out, do you think Marian Robinson ever imagined she would move into the Whitehouse?
Do you think she ever considered that a possibility for her life as she was growing up?

Personally, I wouldn't have wanted my mother-in-law living with me when I was married. Nothing against my mother-in-law, she's a nice lady, and we still email each other now and then and I've been divorced for almost 18 years. But I still wouldn't have wanted her living with me.

I'm sure Malia and Natasha will be happy to have their grandmother living with them. In fact, it's probably a really good move to help keep some stability for those girls. Mr Obama will be quite busy, and Michelle will obviously have some things that she (as the First Lady) will have to do that will at times make both parents unavailable to the children. I'm sure grandma is a much better option than a nanny for those times.

I guess in more ways than one, it's kind of cool.

News stories say that it might not be permanent for Mrs Robinson to remain there, but for the families (and especially the children), I think it might be a good thing if she can remain as the resident First Grandmother.

Well White House is not your average American house. The place is huge. It's not like your mother-in-law is moving into your three bedroom 1900sq ft suburban house or an apartment where she'd be constantly under foot. Obama's are probably smart enough to realize they need some help with the kids, because their life is not "normal" at all. Grandma can add some "normalcy" because she doesn't have to deal with Gaza or the economy....

Forum List

Back