Most Women Can be Beautiful but Aren't

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
A few understand what styles of clothing, hair, colors, etc. look best on them, but the majority merely try to look like someone else (or give up altogether). Why is this? My theory is that it stems from the adolescent experience of wanting to fit in and conform to a particular image which is popular at the time. Chasing this fantasy can then become a lifelong exercise in futility and disappointment with who they really are.

This is not about women becoming more sexually attractive (although that may be a side effect). Instead, it is about women looking and feeling good about themselves, with all of the benefits conferred by that confidence. I would like to see a greater variety of women in advertisements and magazines who capitalize on their own looks instead of portraying some other vision of beauty.

Any thoughts?

I feel good in jammies with my hair in a pony tail and no makeup.

A few understand what styles of clothing, hair, colors, etc. look best on them, but the majority merely try to look like someone else (or give up altogether). Why is this? My theory is that it stems from the adolescent experience of wanting to fit in and conform to a particular image which is popular at the time. Chasing this fantasy can then become a lifelong exercise in futility and disappointment with who they really are.

This is not about women becoming more sexually attractive (although that may be a side effect). Instead, it is about women looking and feeling good about themselves, with all of the benefits conferred by that confidence. I would like to see a greater variety of women in advertisements and magazines who capitalize on their own looks instead of portraying some other vision of beauty.

Any thoughts?

Our daughters don't have enough self-esteem problems these days, "you're ugly because you don't try" is something you feel the need to tell them?

Our daughters don't have enough self-esteem problems these days, "you're ugly because you don't try" is something you feel the need to tell them?

My daughters don't have self-esteem problems. If yours do, it is likely due to trying to conform to someone else's standards.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the mass marketing clothing dilemma. Women are held hostage by whatever nitwit has been hired to decide the direction of any said clothing store to take. This is especially true of department stores.
Many times over you will find some little this-season-only trend attached to the clothing so that you can buy something next season. Further, every so many years the fashion industry reintroduces pieces from a different era-whether you like it or not. I'd like to smack the crap out of whomever thought bringing back the 80s was a good idea and any future attempts to bring back bell bottoms.

For myself, I'm in the petite category and most brick and mortar stores are third world in this department. It's not so easy as to walk into a Kohls or Penney's to find a pair of slacks or clothing for work---that you like. You have these uber bizarre prints that are horrific and the clothing is cheaply made or it's geared for older women. .I don't even bother walking into a Macy's anymore. BUT-if you work in a professional environment and you don't make a whole hell of a lot of money then this is what you are stuck with.

Summer? Infinitely worse. The hunt is on for summer dresses that are not casual and the linen blend that does not wrinkle. Move up to the higher end. I hate to crack on Jones New York because I am a huge fan of their wrinkle free shirts---very crisp collars.
Look at the five must have pieces and how many can you wear in a professional setting?
Shop by Outfit Jones New York

Look at the dresses:
Work Dresses Jones New York

Go down to a lower end:
New York Dresses Work Dresses for Women NY CO

One sheath dress-maybe two is more than enough. But, professional clothing would be a longer hem line for most and some sleeves.

Last year the big thing was shorts and a blazer. It was very nice but there is no way in hell that many women can wear shorts to work.

The reason that I am focusing on work is that this is where most of our clothing money goes.

Last edited:

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the mass marketing clothing dilemma. Women are held hostage by whatever nitwit has been hired to decide the direction of any said clothing store to take. This is especially true of department stores.
Many times over you will find some little this-season-only trend attached to the clothing so that you can buy something next season. Further, every so many years the fashion industry reintroduces pieces from a different era-whether you like it or not. I'd like to smack the crap out of whomever thought bringing back the 80s was a good idea and any future attempts to bring back bell bottoms.

For myself, I'm in the petite category and most brick and mortar stores are third world in this department. It's not so easy as to walk into a Kohls or Penney's to find a pair of slacks or clothing for work---that you like. You have these uber bizarre prints that are horrific and the clothing is cheaply made or it's geared for older women. .I don't even bother walking into a Macy's anymore. BUT-if you work in a professional environment and you don't make a whole hell of a lot of money then this is what you are stuck with.

Summer? Infinitely worse. The hunt is on for summer dresses that are not casual and the linen blend that does not wrinkle. Move up to the higher end. I hate to crack on Jones New York because I am a huge fan of their wrinkle free shirts---very crisp collars.
Look at the five must have pieces and how many can you wear in a professional setting?

Look at the dresses:

Go down to a lower end:

One sheath dress-maybe two is more than enough. But, professional clothing would be a longer hem line for most and some sleeves.

Last year the big thing was shorts and a blazer. It was very nice but there is no way in hell that many women can wear shorts to work.

The reason that I am focusing on work is that this is where most of our clothing money goes.

Learn your measurements and shop online.

Any thoughts?

Look at the dresses:

Go down to a lower end:

I do. Some men need a walk through.

Last edited:

Any thoughts?

Look at the dresses:

Go down to a lower end:

My wife has given up on that & my mother is close...because no matter how careful they are, it's a 50/50 chance anything will actually FIT! My 5'8" wife has found that most pants are too short, many tops are tight on her upper arms, chest, shoulders, or all three (or they fit there, but the hem is halfway to her knees), and sleeves are sometimes too short. My 5' mother has the opposite problem: even a "petite" is usually too BIG. She never wore dresses (wore blouse & skirt or slacks) when she worked in an office, because the belt line was usually at her hips!

Any thoughts?

Look at the dresses:

Go down to a lower end:

My wife has given up on that & my mother is close...because no matter how careful they are, it's a 50/50 chance anything will actually FIT! My 5'8" wife has found that most pants are too short, many tops are tight on her upper arms, chest, shoulders, or all three (or they fit there, but the hem is halfway to her knees), and sleeves are sometimes too short. My 5' mother has the opposite problem: even a "petite" is usually too BIG. She never wore dresses (wore blouse & skirt or slacks) when she worked in an office, because the belt line was usually at her hips!

Agreed. I avoid ordering clothes online. Shoes, yes, clothing, no. Nothing about me is going to be average in any size and I hate the inconvenience of sending anything back and then dreading to reorder in another size. There is no consistency is sizing anymore.

Any thoughts?

There will always be a percentage of women of any age, who compare themselves to other women and try to emulate them. These women lack confidence and that usually accompanies low self-esteem. Teens use their fave rock-star or reality show icons as someone to emulate. Some of them will grow out of that need.

Personally speaking, all I need to feel good about how I look, is to like what I see in the mirror. If I see something I don't like, I change it and fast.

In order to feel good about myself, in general, is to live up to my self-expectations and I set the bar high. :thup:

The heavy makeup is a manifestation of the hypersexualization of the culture, which to me, isn't a good thing. some gals don't need any, some a bit. But if you need to trowel it on something is wrong.

There is a difference between a beautiful person and a beautiful object.

Any thoughts?

These days? Look to history for a more in depth view of how make up and the beauty industry has been telling women they are not beautiful enough.

"The earliest archaeological evidence of make-up dates from 4,000BC in Egypt. The Ancient Egyptians were preoccupied, if not obsessed, with self-image, cleanliness and beauty. Both men and women lined their eyes with black kohl and accentuated their lips and cheeks with rouge made from ground carmine beetles."

"Beauty industry timeline
1900 - A black, female entrepreneur named Annie Turnbo began selling lotions for hair straightening, hair growth and hair conditioning aimed at a market keen to tame unruly locks.

1909 - Elizabeth Arden began her cosmetics empire and coined the term 'makeover', which she performed on women in her salons.

1913 - Mascara as we know it today was invented by Maybelline

1920 - A new formula for a more effective eyebrow pencil was developed and used to create the thin, elegant brow of Hollywood's heyday.

1930 - Fashion Icon Coco Chanel accidentally got burnt while on holiday in the French Riviera. The look caught on and tanning oils were developed.

1939 - Hitler tried to ban makeup to save resources but German women simply refused to work. Instead, cosmetics companies used cheaper alternatives to packaging such as cardboard boxing. When the wars ended, the beauty industry enjoyed a 53% increase in value.

1950s - with the advent of colour film, the beauty industry got a colourful make-over with bright rouges all the rage. With men returning from war and the resulting baby boom, all emphasis was on family life. Women came back from work and resigned to life as housewives. With so much time on their hands, they spent a lot of time pampering themselves to look glamorous.

1970s - Second-wave feminism hit and women began breaking free from the constraints of femininity. Believing that make-up sexualised and objectified women, many gave up their beauty regimes in favour of the natural look.

1990s - Cosmetics companies began to get adventurous. With all the competition out there, they had to keep coming up with new and innovative ideas. The 90s saw the introduction of a range of imaginative products that promised to fight ageing and target wrinkles.

2002 - The celebrity saviour Botox hit it off, along with other quick-fix treatments such as collagen lip implants, facial skin peels and electric wave therapy.

2011 - The skin care industry is reported as one of the fasted growing beauty industry sectors since 2001.

2012 - the UK beauty industry alone is valued at £15 billion and is predicted to increase by 8.5% by 20142."

History of the Beauty Industry - Beauty Resource

Beauty comes in many forms and I will take a woman who is centered and self loving over any woman who constantly is seeking to reinvent the natural beauty that has been bestowed upon them at birth.

Forum List

Back