Most wealthy people...

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
This was in the news today
You?d Never Know David Gelbaum Is a Sun King - NYTimes.com

and this is about the man who looks like a progressive, liberal wall street guy with compassion, ethics and a moral sense of duty.

"Most wealthy people spend their lives trying to make more and more money rather than give it away," Gelbaum said during a series of interviews that he agreed to only reluctantly. "They wait too long. They are depriving themselves of a lot of joy. I'm doing what I want to do. It's not like it's money that I or my family will ever need.

The Man Behind the Land - Los Angeles Times

Actually, it sounds like a man who wants everyone to know what a "compassionate, ethical," man he is.

Those that actually are, don't have to announce it, they just do it.

I know what the guy is on about, we have a cancer kid mint tin at work, 50 cents a roll.

But I usually put in a dollar coin (yes we have dollar coins in Australia, it turns the space under the couch cushions into a wonderful retirement fund) in the tin.

Some times I do not even take the mints!!!!!!! I kid you not, I do not take the mints!!!!!!!!

This should bank up some good Karma but then I fuck it up by always letting my Pavlovian pride pounce without pondering; I yell out into the echoing lobby "Live my little bald friends, LIVE!!!!!!"

Last edited:
I used to have a few bucks but then I married Mrs. Count Dracula and found out that she was "high maintance". Now, Wal-Mart has all of my money...

This was in the news today
You?d Never Know David Gelbaum Is a Sun King - NYTimes.com

and this is about the man who looks like a progressive, liberal wall street guy with compassion, ethics and a moral sense of duty.

"Most wealthy people spend their lives trying to make more and more money rather than give it away," Gelbaum said during a series of interviews that he agreed to only reluctantly. "They wait too long. They are depriving themselves of a lot of joy. I'm doing what I want to do. It's not like it's money that I or my family will ever need.

The Man Behind the Land - Los Angeles Times

He's right. 99% of wealthy people are terribly afflicted by fear and distrust and covetousness. They fear losing their wealth -- not unreasonably, such things do happen. They distrust almost everyone, other wealthy less so, but certainly all non-wealthy folks, believing we wish them harm through embezzlement or envy -- again, not completely unreasonably -- many of us do. And they covet wealth wealth and more wealth. If you are a DuPont heir, you covet the wealth of Bill Gates, because there is no such thing as "enough money" and you might actually have a shot at "beating him".

There are not a whole lot of wealthy American Buddists, if ya feel me. Being too rich is as crappy a life as being too poor. Or at least it is in my view...but then I value love, friendship, trust, privacy and security.

What's the definition of wealth ?

Attachments

• $rsz_p1010695.jpg
    $rsz_p1010695.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 63
The really wealthy do what they want, when they want and don't owe anyone shit.
Like this neighbor.
100 acres of land and 75 head of cattle.
He's always got a couple-three grand laying around the house. No TV, no cell phone, no "cards", no unneeded meds,all natural food.
Nice ass, super economical "truck" with custom paint.

Attachments

• $oxen.JPG
    $oxen.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 48
Like this neighbor.
He's always got a couple-three grand laying around the house. No TV, no cell phone, no "cards", no unneeded meds,all natural food.

I don't think you are exactly correct in your assessment. I don't consider myself wealthy. I have some things in common with your neighbor. I do pretty much what I want, when I want and just about how I want. However, it isn't like that in every situation. Sometimes I do what the wife wants, when she wants it, and how she wants it done. We live on a 300 acre farm but we only have two Texas Longhorm cows (but they are both going to calf pretty soon). No mortgage. We have some emergency money in our safe (the amount is not important) in case there is an emergency that would make using the bank not an option or if we needed to get on the road in the middle of the night unexpectedly. We have two TVs. One in the living room and one in the wife's sewing room. We have one cell phone - one of those kind that you pay in advance and there is no monthly bill. We have the meds we need. No all natural food. I think the other stuff is just fine. My belt line would prove that it works. We don't have anything except the normal monthly bills that all households get. I use only one credit card (but I use it alot every month) but it always gets paid off as soon as the bill comes in. My ass looks ok to me. I drive a 2010 Chevy Avalanche LTZ - not economical but really a fun toy to drive. The wife drives a 2008 Santa Fe. We don't consider ourselves wealthy. Just careful as to how we manage our money. Wealth means different things to different people. Because I live the kind of lifestyle that I enjoy, I consider myself wealthy BUT somebody like Bill Gates would think I'm a redneck. Hot dogs are my favorite food - not something exotic.

Like this neighbor.

I don't think you are exactly correct in your assessment. I don't consider myself wealthy. I have some things in common with your neighbor. I do pretty much what I want, when I want and just about how I want. However, it isn't like that in every situation. Sometimes I do what the wife wants, when she wants it, and how she wants it done. We live on a 300 acre farm but we only have two Texas Longhorm cows (but they are both going to calf pretty soon). No mortgage. We have some emergency money in our safe (the amount is not important) in case there is an emergency that would make using the bank not an option or if we needed to get on the road in the middle of the night unexpectedly. We have two TVs. One in the living room and one in the wife's sewing room. We have one cell phone - one of those kind that you pay in advance and there is no monthly bill. We have the meds we need. No all natural food. I think the other stuff is just fine. My belt line would prove that it works. We don't have anything except the normal monthly bills that all households get. I use only one credit card (but I use it alot every month) but it always gets paid off as soon as the bill comes in. My ass looks ok to me. I drive a 2010 Chevy Avalanche LTZ - not economical but really a fun toy to drive. The wife drives a 2008 Santa Fe. We don't consider ourselves wealthy. Just careful as to how we manage our money. Wealth means different things to different people. Because I live the kind of lifestyle that I enjoy, I consider myself wealthy BUT somebody like Bill Gates would think I'm a redneck. Hot dogs are my favorite food - not something exotic.

I've never been wealthy, but I have known wealthy people intimately enough to get a sense of what their lives are like. Here are some lame assed things they have done which I never could -- but might have, if I'd had the money:

* Force your talented musical/arty kidlet into a career in business or law so as to have someone a generation younger you can trust completely to run The Family Empire, even though such destroyed his soul.

* Give your 18 year old kidlet a trust fund with millions in it, thereby utterly destroying any chance he ever had of a real friendship, or any self respect.

* Send you idijit, drug-addled kidlet to an Ivy league school on the Buy A New Library Plan. Thereby ensuring the kidlet drowns in drugs, etc.

* Force your kidlet to marry whom you want, or divorce whom you want, or even just change whom they date by dangling/withholding money you have raised them to believe they cannot live without.

And here are a few things my wealthy friends had to fret over that I never did:

* My kidlet's new boyfriend does not give a damn about her, but he does like her money.

* My's kidlet's new boyfriend does care for her, but very soon he will only care about her money.

* Someone will kidnap my kidlet and hold her for ransom.

* I need to teach my kidlet that 99% of people cannot be trusted.

Too much money is soul-destroying.

New Topics

Forum List

Back