Most Virginians support third trimester abortion if mother's life is at risk, poll finds

59% support, 35% oppose.

Conservatives have been very confident lately that attacking VA Democratic politicians based on this issue is a winner for Republicans.

Surprise surprise.

It's the opposite.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...c25fda-3077-11e9-86ab-5d02109aeb01_story.html

If I had a pregnant wife. And she was in the third trimester and the baby appeared healthy. But the doctor said that if she did not abort the child, she would die?
If she aborted the child - I would divorce her the first second I could. I would be SO disgusted with her.

Any decent mother would gladly give up her life for her child. My mother would have for certain. I would end my life for my child...in a millisecond.

We are not talking about an embryo here. And I am for abortions before there is brain activity.

We are talking about a baby who could live without the mother...perhaps a child who is full term (or nearly).

To murder a healthy, full term child to save your own life...you are a pathetic loser in my eyes. I care not what the circumstances are.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Kat
59% support, 35% oppose.

Conservatives have been very confident lately that attacking VA Democratic politicians based on this issue is a winner for Republicans.

Surprise surprise.

It's the opposite.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...c25fda-3077-11e9-86ab-5d02109aeb01_story.html

If I had a pregnant wife. And she was in the third trimester and the baby appeared healthy. But the doctor said that if she did not abort the child, she would die?
If she aborted the child - I would divorce her the first second I could. I would be SO disgusted with her.

Any decent mother would gladly give up her life for her child. My mother would have for certain. I would end my life for my child...in a millisecond.

We are not talking about an embryo here. And I am for abortions before there is brain activity.

We are talking about a baby who could live without the mother...perhaps a child who is full term (or nearly).

To murder a full term child to save your own life...you are a pathetic loser in my eyes. I care not what the circumstances are.

And if any women who reads this has done that...you disgust me and you should be ashamed of yourselves...for the rest of your life.
In reality if it was a healthy baby, healthy mom, third trimester and the delivery was dangerous the solution is easy. Carry the child to term and have a c section.

59% support, 35% oppose.

Surprise surprise.

It's the opposite.
Riveting. Even assuming this information is accurate, less than 1% of pregnancies endanger the mother, the recent abortion legislation doesn't require that the mother's life be in danger, and a poll revealing 'majority support' doesn't make something ethical.

59% support, 35% oppose.

Surprise surprise.

It's the opposite.
Riveting. Even assuming this information is accurate, less than 1% of pregnancies endanger the mother, the recent abortion legislation doesn't require that the mother's life be in danger, and a poll revealing 'majority support' doesn't make something ethical.

Really.

'This news just in, the latest polls show most Americans support rape. In light of this, the Supreme Court has just ruled that rape is now legal in America'.

Riiiight.

It does not matter how many people support third-term abortions.

They are disgusting...period.

59% support, 35% oppose.

Surprise surprise.

It's the opposite.

Really.

'This news just in, the latest polls show most Americans support rape. In light of this, the Supreme Court has just ruled that rape is now legal in America'.

Riiiight.

I concur. Abortion is clearly unethical, and all arguments to the contrary have been thoroughly and easily refuted.

They can't argue that it's not alive, because even sperm is alive.

They can't argue that it's the mother's body, because at the moment of conception, it's a completely separate and unique individual with a different DNA sequence.

They can't argue that it's not a human, because it cannot be anything else but human.

They cannot argue that it's 'just a clump of cells" because everyone is made of cells.

They can't argue that it's self defense, because the act of being born is passive, as every involved party doing nothing will neither cause nor prevent the pregnancy, it develops naturally with no influence, while terminating the baby's life is an active position, on an innocent person, which infringes on their individual rights and ends their life. It's QUITE provably murder. In ALL cases it's the unjustified ending of an individual's life.

I'm pretty sure the only reason some people continue to ignore these facts is because they're emotionally attached to their position. Well, or they're shills in some cases.

Last edited:
59% support, 35% oppose.

Surprise surprise.

It's the opposite.

That's common sense and easy to believe. What sane person wouldn't put the mother's life first?!

Lots of them. Me for one.

Any mother who would kill a healthy, full/near full term, apparently healthy child just to save their own skin is a pathetic coward to me.

No decent mother would EVER do that.

Why? Because to decent mothers - their child's life is worth more to them than their own life...by MILES.

Again, I support abortions before there is brain activity.
But in the third trimester? If the child appears healthy? Not a chance in hell.
And I am not religious AT ALL or a conservative. I just believe in honor over self-preservation.

Have a nice day.

59% support, 35% oppose.

Surprise surprise.

It's the opposite.

Really.

Riiiight.

I concur. Abortion is clearly unethical, and all arguments to the contrary have been thoroughly and easily refuted.

They can't argue that it's the mother's body, because at the moment of conception, it's a completely separate and unique individual with a different DNA sequence.

They can't argue that it's not a human, because it cannot be anything else but human.

They cannot argue that it's 'just a clump of cells" because everyone is made of cells.

They can't argue that it's self defense, because the act of being born is passive, as every involved party doing nothing will neither cause nor prevent the pregnancy, it develops naturally with no influence, while terminating the baby's life is an active position, on an innocent person, which infringes on their individual rights and ends their life. It's QUITE provably murder. In ALL cases it's the unjustified ending of an individual's life.

I'm pretty sure the only reason some people continue to ignore these facts is because they're emotionally attached to their position. Well, or they're shills in some cases.

Well, I am afraid I do not agree completely. I am for abortion (though I do not like it) before there is brain activity (say 10 weeks).

But after that - I am not.

And during the third trimester? That is just flat out disgusting. The second the child can live without the mother...to terminate that child is murder...pure and simple.

But I do largely agree with your thoughts on it.

BTW, I like your choice of font color, as well. Refreshing.

59% support, 35% oppose.

Surprise surprise.

It's the opposite.

Really.

Riiiight.

I think too that some have already had an abortion themself or that have played a role in one or more abortions in their past.

Convincing them that they violated a child is not an easy task.

I can imagine there are psychological reasons for why that is so.

59% support, 35% oppose.

Surprise surprise.

It's the opposite.

Really.

Riiiight.

Well, I am afraid I do not agree completely. I am for abortion (though I do not like it) before there is brain activity (say 10 weeks).

And during the third trimester?

That is just flat out disgusting.

Lack of brain activity doesn't give someone else consent to have dominion over you, and doesn't make the unjustified taking of someone's life ethical. This would mean that the second before brain activity is developed, it would be completely okay for someone to be outright murdered. I believe that whether an innocent person lives or dies should be their own decision.

Thank you, I love purple.

59% support, 35% oppose.

Surprise surprise.

It's the opposite.

Really.

Riiiight.

Lack of brain activity doesn't give someone else consent to have dominion over you, and doesn't make the unjustified taking of someone's life ethical. This would mean that the second before brain activity is developed, it would be completely okay for someone to be outright murdered. I believe that whether an innocent person lives or dies should be their own decision.

Especially so if the lack of brain activity is only NORMAL and temporary given the child's age and stage of development.

How many doctors would "pull the plug" on any other patient that has even a fraction of the prognosis that a typical child in the womb, facing an abortion, has?

Really.

Riiiight.

Especially so if the lack of brain activity is only NORMAL and temporary given the child's age and stage of development.

How many doctors would "pull the plug" on any other patient that has even a fraction of the prognosis that a typical child in the womb that is facing an abortion has?
I concur. Not only is it merely a stage of development, the child is still completely living, and those who would be deciding that it should die, even if it is before the development of a brain, are taking dominion over that child's life with no consent to decide it should have no opportunity to make any decisions, ever. Any conditions placed on this, even if the life of the mother is in danger, would be completely arbitrary since there's no case to be made for self defense, since the process is completely passive, and the termination of the life would be active, meaning the initiation of force would be coming from those who are terminating the life of the child.

I legitimately can't see an argument for abortion being ethical at any stage of development.

Really.

Riiiight.

How many doctors would "pull the plug" on any other patient that has even a fraction of the prognosis that a typical child in the womb that is facing an abortion has?
I concur. Not only is it merely a stage of development, the child is still completely living, and those who would be deciding that it should die, even if it is before the development of a brain, are taking dominion over that child's life with no consent to decide it should have no opportunity to make any decisions, ever. Any conditions placed on this, even if the life of the mother is in danger, would be completely arbitrary since there's no case to be made for self defense, since the process is completely passive, and the termination of the life would be active, meaning the initiation of force would be coming from those who are terminating the life of the child.

I legitimately can't see an argument for abortion being ethical at any stage of development.

While I can see a Constitutional case for some exceptions in extreme cases (Like rape and the life of the mother) I do agree that the same extreme cases are harder to defend in the realm of an ethics or morality debate.

59% support, 35% oppose.

Surprise surprise.

It's the opposite.

That's common sense and easy to believe. What sane person wouldn't put the mother's life first?!

Lots of them. Me for one.

Any mother who would kill a healthy, full/near full term, apparently healthy child just to save their own skin is a pathetic coward to me.

No decent mother would EVER do that.

Why? Because to decent mothers - their child's life is worth more to them than their own life...by MILES.

Again, I support abortions before there is brain activity.
But in the third trimester? If the child appears healthy? Not a chance in hell.
And I am not religious AT ALL or a conservative. I just believe in honor over self-preservation.

Have a nice day.

Thanks for proving my point.

Any conditions placed on this, even if the life of the mother is in danger, would be completely arbitrary since there's no case to be made for self defense, since the process is completely passive
I agree with nearly everything except this, although you are right even here 99.9% of the time.

In 2016 someone important in my life died of complications from celiac disease. As time went on, her body became less and less able to absorb nutrients. First calcium, then potassium, then b-12 and on it went.

She died of heart disease because of this problem with this electrolyte balance.

I never asked her for detailes because it was a difficult subject but I know she did have an abortion in the past and the pregnancy took years off her own life.

She was warned during the time I knew her that getting pregnant would kill her.

She was a rare exception, but it does happen. For the vast majority though, IT IS AN EXCUSE.

Still, THE RIGHT TO LIFE, and THE RIGHT OF SELF DEFENSE are the foundational principles here. All beings created by God, have the right to live and defend their own right to live.

This woman, I believe, was one of those RARE exceptions that FEW ever have to make.

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb -- king David

Believe in God, or don't, but you are fighting God.

Forum List

Back