Most undeserving best picture winners

The worst one I remember is Cosner winning for that dopey 'dances with wolves' over the greatest mob movie eva, 'Goodfellas.'

Got a few...."Slumdog Millionaire, Midnight Cowboy, Annie Hall, American Beauty, A Beautiful Mind, Million Dollar Baby"

And in the documentary catagory "An Inconvenient Truth" because it's based on half-truths and photo-shopping.

The worst year for nominees 2007.

Winner 2007 No Country for Old Men - Miramax & Paramount Vantage - Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen, Joel Coen
Atonement - Focus Features - Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Paul Webster
Juno - Fox Searchlight - Lianne Halfon, Mason Novick, Russell Smith
Michael Clayton - Warner Bros. - Jennifer Fox, Kerry Orent, Sydney Pollack
There Will Be Blood - Paramount Vantage & Miramax - Paul Thomas Anderson, Daniel Lupi, JoAnne Sellar

Thank God No Country for Old Men won.

Dances With Wolves was Oscar-worthy.

I've never made it through Chariots of Fire. A Beautiful Mind was good but I don't remember what it was up against. I think Crowe should have gotten an oscar, I don't know if the movie should have.

Slumdog Millionaire, like what the hell were they thinking?

'98 Shakespeare in Love
'96 The English patient
'85 Out of Africa
'83 Terms of Endearment

Dances With Wolves was Oscar-worthy.

I've never made it through Chariots of Fire. A Beautiful Mind was good but I don't remember what it was up against. I think Crowe should have gotten an oscar, I don't know if the movie should have.

Slumdog Millionaire, like what the hell were they thinking?

Political Statement.....

Friggen ridiculous the way the voters seem to think a film's political theme is more important then the content....the acting....the art direction.....the script....the cinematography....the entertainment value. "There Will Be Blood" was one of the most awful films I've ever seen.
To be honest....the Oscars is about cash and popularity. It's certainly not about achievement.

Schindler's List

Schindler's List was a fucking amazing film. Best of all time, in my opinion. You fail at life, sir.

To be honest....the Oscars is about cash and popularity. It's certainly not about achievement.

Last year proved that is not the case. Slumdog Millionaire certainly did not have the financial clout to force itself into the Oscars. The fact that it beat Milk, which had Hollywood themes and the clout of Sean Penn behind it, still amazes me.

While I admit that Slumdog was not the most deserving winner ever, it was certainly the best of last year's options. Frost/Nixon was a film based on taped interviews. NO ONE was going to vote for that. The Reader was not a well made movie. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was literally like watching a remake of Forrest Gump (same writer, same story, same themes). The only competition Slumdog had was Milk. And I guess we learned from Brokeback Mountain that Hollywood isn't as in love with gays as they pretend to be.

Now, to my list of undeserving winners:

Chicago - I know the Academy was holding out on Lord of the Rings to award Jackson in the third film, but The Two Towers was by far the best of the trilogy. Aside from that, Gangs of New York was a MUCH better film than Chicago, as was The Pianist.

Gandhi - I like the movie, but beating E.T. for Best Picture was a fucking joke.

Dances with Wolves - Over Goodfellas, Ghost, AND Godfather III, was this a joke?

The English Patient - Over Fargo, what?!

Rocky - Stallone is one of the worst actors, ever. De Niro is one of the best actors, ever, and Taxi Driver was one of his best roles, ever. This was a travesty.

Gone with the Wind - Yes, I went there. The Wizard of Oz was robbed. Enough said.

Gone with the Wind - Yes, I went there. The Wizard of Oz was robbed. Enough said.

I understand why Gone with the Wind won in 1939, it was an epic and wildly popular movie. I remember it being rereleased in movie theaters up until the 1970s.

Watching it now shows it did not age well. The story is nothing more than a soap opera and much of the acting was laughable (Butterfly McQueen?). The Wizard of Oz is timeless and still worth watching over and over.
The movie I prefer is "Of Mice and Men" If all three were on TV at the same time, I'd watch George and Lenny

It certainly wasn't the least deserving recipient because I enjoyed it very much, but Forrest Gump was not as good as Pulp Fiction.

While Gone with the Wind certainly robbed The Wizard of Oz, it wasn't "undeserving" to say the least.

1951 - A Streetcar Named Desire should of won.

1962 - To Kill a Mockingbird should of won.

I agree with Jon that Taxi Driver should of won. Dog Day Afternoon also should of beaten One Flew Over.

Also, Kramer vs Kramer beating Apocalypse Now? :eusa_eh:

Raging Bull should of won instead of Ordinary People.

Chariots of Fire is definitely on that list.

Driving Miss Daisy beat out some superior competition.

Dancing with Wolves robbed Goodfellas or even Godfather Part III.

While not undeserving, Forrest Gump is not superior to Pulp Fiction nor Shawshank.

The English Patient? Again no.

No Country for Old Men and Slumdog were alright movies but not Best Picture I think.

While Gone with the Wind certainly robbed The Wizard of Oz, it wasn't "undeserving" to say the least.

I agree with Jon that Taxi Driver should of won. Dog Day Afternoon also should of beaten One Flew Over.

While not undeserving, Forrest Gump is not superior to Pulp Fiction nor Shawshank.

No Country for Old Men and Slumdog were alright movies but not Best Picture I think.

The English Patient bored the hell out of me.

you mentioned taxi. Rocky also beat out all the presidents men and network.

The argument begins and ends with Ordinary People vs. Raging Bull.

New Topics

Forum List

Back