Most Syrians back President Assad

Urbanguerrilla

Silver Member
Aug 27, 2010
"Most Syrians back President Assad, but you'd never know from western media.

Some 55% of Syrians want Assad to stay, motivated by fear of civil war – a spectre that is not theoretical as it is for those who live outside Syria's borders." :confused:

Most Syrians back Assad

Assad (Syria) is the Iranian/Turkish/Russian/Chinese linchpin. He's not going to be going easily. He's being continuously resupplied and he's slaughtering the other tribes (Sunni) who are attempting to remove his control. He's slaughtering the Kurds and demolishing the entire city of Homs and now is turning his attention forward. At the same time, he's being hit by the Turks who are using this event to continue their attack on the Kurds.

jordan-map.gif

He's not only dug in, he was smart enough to protect the minorities so that they are also very fearful of a more extremist Muslim rule. His Alawites and wealthy circle certainly don't want the Sunni in control. Now with both China and Russian Veto power backing him in the UN and Iran as a military transport route?

Look to more death and destruction from Syria and Assad. The road to Damascus is Iran's land route to Lebanon and Hezbollah and through them, Gaza and Hamas.

Turkey wants to deal with the Kurds. Iran wants a pathway to Egypt. Hamas wants the end of Israel. Egypt and Saudi Arabia want to hold Iran back. There's a lot more of course, that's just peeling a partial first layer of a massive ME political onion.

Assad (Syria) is the Iranian/Turkish/Russian/Chinese linchpin. He's not going to be going easily. He's being continuously resupplied and he's slaughtering the other tribes (Sunni) who are attempting to remove his control. He's slaughtering the Kurds and demolishing the entire city of Homs and now is turning his attention forward. At the same time, he's being hit by the Turks who are using this event to continue their attack on the Kurds.

jordan-map.gif

He's not only dug in, he was smart enough to protect the minorities so that they are also very fearful of a more extremist Muslim rule. His Alawites and wealthy circle certainly don't want the Sunni in control. Now with both China and Russian Veto power backing him in the UN and Iran as a military transport route?

Look to more death and destruction from Syria and Assad. The road to Damascus is Iran's land route to Lebanon and Hezbollah and through them, Gaza and Hamas.

Turkey wants to deal with the Kurds. Iran wants a pathway to Egypt. Hamas wants the end of Israel. Egypt and Saudi Arabia want to hold Iran back. There's a lot more of course, that's just peeling a partial first layer of a massive ME political onion.

Obama and NATO wanted rid of Gadhafi. It seems to me that Syrian is much more important, but they have no oil I guess:confused:

So what does Russia have to gain by supplying Syria?

Russia boosts arms sales to Syria despite world pressure

MOSCOW/BEIRUT (Reuters) - Russia faces a growing international outcry over its arms sales to Syria but shows no sign of bowing to pressure and has even increased deliveries of arms that critics say are helping keep President Bashar al-Assad in power.

The biggest importer of arms to Syria, Russia sold Damascus nearly $1 billion worth of arms including missile systems last year, while shipments of hard-to-track Russian small weapons have risen since the uprising against Assad started, government defectors say.

In January, the Russian ship Chariot, loaded with arms and ammunition, turned off its radar and sailed quietly to Syria to avoid attracting the attention of world powers increasingly frustrated by Russia and China's refusal to back U.N. Security Council resolutions aimed at ending 11 months of violence.

Citing the increased violence, Arab and Western countries have started hinting they could arm Assad's opponents, a move that some political and defense analysts say could increase the possibility of civil war.

Moscow accuses the West of being one-sided, and says the arms it sells have not been used by Assad loyalists to kill 7,000 people, a figure used by advocacy groups, as violence has raged

Russia boosts arms sales to Syria despite world pressure | MSN Arabia News

MOSCOW/BEIRUT (Reuters) - Russia faces a growing international outcry over its arms sales to Syria but shows no sign of bowing to pressure and has even increased deliveries of arms that critics say are helping keep President Bashar al-Assad in power.

The biggest importer of arms to Syria, Russia sold Damascus nearly $1 billion worth of arms including missile systems last year, while shipments of hard-to-track Russian small weapons have risen since the uprising against Assad started, government defectors say.

In January, the Russian ship Chariot, loaded with arms and ammunition, turned off its radar and sailed quietly to Syria to avoid attracting the attention of world powers increasingly frustrated by Russia and China's refusal to back U.N. Security Council resolutions aimed at ending 11 months of violence.

Citing the increased violence, Arab and Western countries have started hinting they could arm Assad's opponents, a move that some political and defense analysts say could increase the possibility of civil war.

Moscow accuses the West of being one-sided, and says the arms it sells have not been used by Assad loyalists to kill 7,000 people, a figure used by advocacy groups, as violence has raged

Russia keeps their hands involved in world issues and it raises its global bargaining pressure on other issues with this stance. Remember that there are 57 Muslim countries who vote often as a block in the United Nations.

As well, Russia likes to keep the United States from advancing the goals of the Sunni Arabs who have been in an ebb/flow battle with the Iranian Shia for many centuries.

Russia keeps their hands involved in world issues and it raises its global bargaining pressure on other issues with this stance. Remember that there are 57 Muslim countries who vote often as a block in the United Nations.

As well, Russia likes to keep the United States from advancing the goals of the Sunni Arabs who have been in an ebb/flow battle with the Iranian Shia for many centuries.

So what exactly did Obama get by signing these deals with Russia?....Just asking I'm still trying to figure it out:confused:

So what exactly did Obama get by signing these deals with Russia?....Just asking I'm still trying to figure it out:confused:

All I can do is look at what Russia is historically concerned with and that is Eastern Europe. The Middle East was important to Russia in 1973 since they had not found their own resources yet. Now that they have, Putin is working towards control of Eastern Europe.

What President Obama and Vladimir Putin are putting together is a longer term foreign policy of non-intervention, but this is simply my own personal opinion.

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(MOSCOW) -- A Russian military unit has arrived in Syria, according to Russian news reports, a development that a United Nations Security Council source told ABC News was "a bomb" certain to have serious repercussions.

Russia, one of Bashar al-Assad's strongest allies despite international condemnation of the government's violent crackdown on the country's uprising, has repeatedly blocked the United Nations Security Council's attempts to halt the violence, accusing the U.S. and its allies of trying to start another war.

Now the Russian Black Sea fleet's Iman tanker has arrived in the Syrian port of Tartus on the Mediterranean Sea with an anti-terror squad from the Russian Marines onboard, according to the Interfax news agency. The Assad government has insisted it is fighting a terrorist insurgency.

KGO 810 San Francisco

The ante has been raised.

All I can do is look at what Russia is historically concerned with and that is Eastern Europe. The Middle East was important to Russia in 1973 since they had not found their own resources yet. Now that they have, Putin is working towards control of Eastern Europe.

What President Obama and Vladimir Putin are putting together is a longer term foreign policy of non-intervention, but this is simply my own personal opinion.

Yeah "non-intervention" for The U.S. While Russia carries on. Putin can't be trusted neither can Obama for that matter

Yeah "non-intervention" for The U.S. While Russia carries on. Putin can't be trusted neither can Obama for that matter

They both have their foreign policy with regards to the ME. It's a chess game to Russia and they play well. Consider star wars.

They both have their foreign policy with regards to the ME. It's a chess game to Russia and they play well. Consider star wars.

Reagan must have been a hell of a chess player then.

Russia has a major naval base in Tarsus, Syria. It keeps nuclear submarines stationed there.

Is there any news allowed into Syria? Are the Syrians even a semi-informed people? Wouldn't it be obvious that the Syrians wouldn't want what happened in Libya to happen in Syria?

Hmmmm, does anyone think it's a good idea to replace our hellish and despotic, cruel dictator with one that's even MORE hellish, despotic and cruel? Show of hands, anyone? Assad, if anything, is being gentle. His father would have murdered half the country by now. The Syrians saw what happened in Libya and in Egypt. They aren't likely to allow an Arab Winter like what's happening in countries taken over by the Brotherhood.

Is there any news allowed into Syria? Are the Syrians even a semi-informed people? Wouldn't it be obvious that the Syrians wouldn't want what happened in Libya to happen in Syria?

Hmmmm, does anyone think it's a good idea to replace our hellish and despotic, cruel dictator with one that's even MORE hellish, despotic and cruel? Show of hands, anyone? Assad, if anything, is being gentle. His father would have murdered half the country by now. The Syrians saw what happened in Libya and in Egypt. They aren't likely to allow an Arab Winter like what's happening in countries taken over by the Brotherhood.

Katz we can't pretend to know what life is like in Syria under Assad, the truth of the matter is none of us have lived under Assad and we don't know what its like it, maybe it is that bad to where the Syrians are willing to fight and die in the streets to be rid of him.

"Most Syrians back President Assad, but you'd never know from western media.

Some 55% of Syrians want Assad to stay, motivated by fear of civil war – a spectre that is not theoretical as it is for those who live outside Syria's borders." :confused:

Most Syrians back Assad

Perhaps you mean most of those left alive support Assad. In most countries massacres are not considered legitimate campaign tactics.

Forum List

Back