Most Religious States

I ran across an interesting factoid (I dont' remember where, sorry) while I was rubbing Army Cowboy's nose in the dirt....

Southern States, which are the poorest, and most Christian, give a much higher percentage of their incomes to charity.

I just thought it was interesting. Everybody calls them backwards and stupid, as if income determines one's character...but when it comes to giving till it hurts, those communities are the ones who do it.

Not sure that's a valid conclusion -- perhaps the other way round? Also it's not universal that the South is the poorest -- true for Mississippi but not for, say, Georgia:

600px-Median_Household_Income.svg.png

It might be a point worth looking up, though it would also be hard to pin down what constitutes "giving to charity", which, like religiousness, takes other forms aside from the formal-institutional.

I ran across an interesting factoid (I dont' remember where, sorry) while I was rubbing Army Cowboy's nose in the dirt....

Southern States, which are the poorest, and most Christian, give a much higher percentage of their incomes to charity.

I just thought it was interesting. Everybody calls them backwards and stupid, as if income determines one's character...but when it comes to giving till it hurts, those communities are the ones who do it.

Not sure that's a valid conclusion -- perhaps the other way round? Also it's not universal that the South is the poorest -- true for Mississippi but not for, say, Georgia:

It might be a point worth looking up, though it would also be hard to pin down what constitutes "giving to charity", which, like religiousness, takes other forms aside from the formal-institutional.

Exactly. I donate to NPR. Does that make me a better person than someone who donates to their mosque or church? Or someone who does neither?

Exactly. I donate to NPR. Does that make me a better person than someone who donates to their mosque or church? Or someone who does neither?

-- and to further muddy those waters, one's giving to the church, mosque or synagogue may not count as "charity" depending on what that institution does with the donation, e.g. if it's nothing more than perpetuating itself you get a net zero.

-- and to further muddy those waters, one's giving to the church, mosque or synagogue may not count as "charity" depending on what that institution does with the donation, e.g. if it's nothing more than perpetuating itself you get a net zero.

I'm sure it still counts as charity for the study. For the purposes of the study in the op, they are probably just looking at charitable giving as counted by the tax man.

And while some churces do help the poor etc... the majority of funds, usually the vast majority, goes into the operations budget of the church. So it's more like donating to a social club than feed the children or the red cross.

Being religious, especially Christian, means you do not have to ever tell anyone.
They will know it by your actions.
Not some silly "study" done by a lame brain media "expert" looking for a way to get exposure.
Many religious people would refuse to offer any opinions so they would be put down as non religious and not attending church.

That really makes no sense. By definition in order to be a good Christian you are required to open your mouth and share the Gospel.

Im all for being a good example. But that doesn't excuse us from our duty to share the Gospel. We shouldn't be afraid to do so.

Jesus said to pray in private and he never preached in a church.
Being a Christian means you never have to tell anyone.
I remember when my kids were little and our church had an annual trip to Mexico to help the poor there and spread the gospel.
It was around $2200 a kid for 10 days and they did a lot of good down there.
I offered this: why not go down the road 1/2 mile from the church where there is a good sized Hispanic community and help those folks there.
The response I got from the church members was similar to if I would have stood up during the preacher's sermon on Sunday, bent over and farted in open church.
How dare we not go and spread the gospel in Mexico as they need that and that is what good Christians do. And many of the "Christians" there said that those Hispanics were most likely illegal and we should not be doing anything to help them.
Yes, deport them so then we can all go to Mexico at $2200 a piece to preach them the gospel and save them.
I am sure Jesus would want it that way.
I believe we are to be CHRISTLIKE FIRST, keep our pie holes shut and the model we will gather more of the flock is to ALSO BE Christlike as that will be set with the examples of our actions.
Talk is cheap and this generation knows it and one wonders why membership is way down.
Keep in mind the family that organized this Mexico mission trip for decades owned the local travel agency.
BEWARE of those that go around telling everyone and anyone how much of a Christian they are.
Real Christians are known by how Christlike they are, not how much they open their mouth.

Last edited:
What a load of garbage.

Have you heard of the Great Commission?

Matthew 28:16-20

New International Version (NIV)

The Great Commission

16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Cross references:

1. Matthew 28:16 : ver 7, 10; Mt 26:32
  2. Matthew 28:18 : Da 7:13, 14; Lk 10:22; Jn 3:35; S 13:13; 17:2; 1Co 15:27; Eph 1:20-22; Php 2:9, 10
  3. Matthew 28:19 : Isa 49:6; Mk 16:15, 16; Lk 24:47; Ac 1:8; 14:21
  4. Matthew 28:19 : Ac 1:8; 2:38; 8:16; Ro 6:3, 4; Gal 3:27; Col 2:12
  5. Matthew 28:20 : Jn 14:26; Ac 2:42
  6. Matthew 28:20 : Dt 31:6; 1Ki 8:57; Hag 1:13; Mt 18:20; Ac 18:10
  7. Matthew 28:20 : Mt 13:39; 24:3
Matthew 28:16-20 NIV - The Great Commission - Then the eleven - Bible Gateway

The disciples and Christ weren't killed for keeping their pieholes shut...and they died in Christ, and doing Christ's work as he told them, personally, to do.

The concept of a *secret* Christianity comes straight from Satan.

I will have to pray and fast before I try to exorcise gaddawg, though, because I personally find him so repugnant, and scary....but I'm willing to go ahead with it. I think if anyone needs it, he does. I think he presents a danger to anyone who undertakes it, though.

What a load of garbage.

The Great Commission

16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Cross references:

2. Matthew 28:18 : Da 7:13, 14; Lk 10:22; Jn 3:35; S 13:13; 17:2; 1Co 15:27; Eph 1:20-22; Php 2:9, 10

The sad part is you are right.

If you believe the bible is true, then it's hard to get around the whole proselytizing thing...

We're all going to hell and you better try your damnedest to save us.

What a load of garbage.

The Great Commission

Cross references:

Get on your broom and fly.

We go around the world, go into another country on a mission trip and proclaim:

"You are all wrong and your religious beliefs are wrong, YOU ARE going to burn in hell for what you believe now" is what we tell everyone.
And that is an ignorant way to go about bringing folks to Christ but that is EXACTLY how some people interpret the Bible.

How would we take it if others from any number of other religions came here and said openly and loudly spreading THEIR Gospel:

"You are wrong, your religious beliefs ARE FALSE. YOU are going to burn in hell for what you believe in unless you convert to our religion."

How well does that go over here?
That is exactly how well it goes over around the world when Christians do it.
The Bible was written and bastardized by politicians and monarchs all through history.
Being a Christian is walking hand in hand with Christ and BEING CHRISTLIKE.
Talk is cheap and most often offensive when we tell others our religion is better than theirs.
How stupider a way could there ever be than to tell others they are wrong and their religious beliefs are second to ours.
That is and should not be the American way.

Last edited:
Well then, at least I don't have to worry about being raped.

That just leaves harassment, abduction, and murder.

I remember when my kids were little and our church had an annual trip to Mexico to help the poor there and spread the gospel.
I offered this: why not go down the road 1/2 mile from the church where there is a good sized Hispanic community and help those folks there.
The response I got from the church members was similar to if I would have stood up during the preacher's sermon on Sunday, bent over and farted in open church.
How dare we not go and spread the gospel in Mexico as they need that and that is what good Christians do. And many of the "Christians" there said that those Hispanics were most likely illegal and we should not be doing anything to help them.
Yes, deport them so then we can all go to Mexico at $2200 a piece to preach them the gospel and save them.
I believe we are to be CHRISTLIKE FIRST, keep our pie holes shut and the model we will gather more of the flock is to ALSO BE Christlike as that will be set with the examples of our actions.
Talk is cheap and this generation knows it and one wonders why membership is way down.
Keep in mind the family that organized this Mexico mission trip for decades owned the local travel agency.
BEWARE of those that go around telling everyone and anyone how much of a Christian they are.
Real Christians are known by how Christlike they are, not how much they open their mouth.

Jesus never preached in a Church? He preached in Synagogues all the time:

9 And when he was departed thence, he went into their synagogue:

10 ¶And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.

11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?

12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

13 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other (Matthew 12:9-13).

35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. (Matthew 9:35)

54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works? (Matthew 13:54)

That's just in the Gospel of Matthew, but the other Gospels confirm that Christ taught the people in their Synagogues. How can you say He never did? The Twelve did the same.

Your story, while sad, doesn't provide a reason we shouldn't open our mouth. God has commanded us to preach the Gospel and to live it. He wants us to do both.

The sad part is you are right.

If you believe the bible is true, then it's hard to get around the whole proselytizing thing...

We're all going to hell and you better try your damnedest to save us.

Well, if you go to hell, we will just go there to preach deliverence and pull you back out.

Jesus never preached in a Church? He preached in Synagogues all the time:

9 And when he was departed thence, he went into their synagogue:

10 ¶And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.

11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?

12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

13 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other (Matthew 12:9-13).

35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. (Matthew 9:35)

54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works? (Matthew 13:54)

That's just in the Gospel of Matthew, but the other Gospels confirm that Christ taught the people in their Synagogues. How can you say He never did? The Twelve did the same.

Your story, while sad, doesn't provide a reason we shouldn't open our mouth. God has commanded us to preach the Gospel and to live it. He wants us to do both.

No, Jesus did not preach in the synagogues. He TAUGHT in the synagogues. Big difference in that era of history. He was basically handcuffed as his message that he did preach away from the synagogues was of love, do not judge and love thy neighbor, ideas FOREIGN to the Jewish doctrine.
Jesus preached in the cities to the poor, the sick, the oppressed and those that the Jewish religion looked down upon.
Jesus was a radical of his day. The leaders of the Jewish rabbis kept him in check.
No offense to you and respectfully I find it amazing you do not know this.

The san hedrin didn't keep him in check; they attempted, failed, and then had him killed. And Christ was a rabbi.

Teaching, and preaching, when it comes to religion, are the same thing.

preach

/pritʃ/ Show Spelled [preech] Show IPA
verb (used with object) 1. to proclaim or make known by sermon (the gospel, good tidings, etc.).

2. to deliver (a sermon).

3. to advocate or inculcate (religious or moral truth, right conduct, etc.) in speech or writing.

Origin:
1175&#8211;1225; Middle English prechen < Old French pre ( ë ) chier < Late Latin praedic&#257;re to preach ( Latin: to assert publicly, proclaim). See predicate

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/preach

Last edited:
The san hedrin didn't keep him in check; they attempted, failed, and then had him killed. And Christ was a rabbi.

Teaching, and preaching, when it comes to religion, are the same thing.

preach

/prit&#643;/ Show Spelled [preech] Show IPA
verb (used with object) 1. to proclaim or make known by sermon (the gospel, good tidings, etc.).

2. to deliver (a sermon).

3. to advocate or inculcate (religious or moral truth, right conduct, etc.) in speech or writing.

Preach | Define Preach at Dictionary.com

What Jesus was teaching was forbidden in many synagogues. Many of the people did call Jesus rabbi. And rabbi means "my teacher" in Hebrew so you make a good point there.

So let us take a look then at Jesus and the Christian faith:
Jesus never went to a church, he went to a synagogue and taught just like I said.
He never was called a reverend, only a rabbi and not always
He celebrated the Passover, not Easter as there was none
He knew about the story passed down in Jewish history of his birth but never celebrated it.

But let us look at the facts of the Jewish history and rabbis:
There was NO ordination of rabbis in the days of Jesus, that was later. During Jesus' time there was NO way to become a rabbi. The term rabbi in those days meant teacher, not preaching. There were NO rabbis in the sense of being a preacher in the day of Yeshua.
The rabbis of today fit the mold of scholar. Jesus never fit that mold in his time and does not fit the traditional role of a rabbi, far from it in fact.
NO WAY would Jesus have endorsed some of the man made traditions of Judaism that make the word of God null and void.

No, Jesus did not preach in the synagogues. He TAUGHT in the synagogues. Big difference in that era of history. He was basically handcuffed as his message that he did preach away from the synagogues was of love, do not judge and love thy neighbor, ideas FOREIGN to the Jewish doctrine.
Jesus preached in the cities to the poor, the sick, the oppressed and those that the Jewish religion looked down upon.
Jesus was a radical of his day. The leaders of the Jewish rabbis kept him in check.
No offense to you and respectfully I find it amazing you do not know this.

Um.. preaching and teaching are the same things. And I just cited scriptures that have Jesus preaching in the synagogues. He taught the same message in and out of the Synagogues. He boldly proclaimed Himself the long awaited for Messiah. He preached the truth about the Sabbath. He healed the sick. He raised the dead. He preached deliverance to the captives.

In fact, one of the first sermons He preached in a Synagogue was the following:

17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.(Luke 4:17-21)

Interesting that Christ would quote that scripture from Isaiah menting His Messianic call to preach the Gospel to the poor and preach deliverence to the captives and declare it fulfilled in a synagogue He was in if He wasnt really preaching there.

Forum List

Back