Most open administration in history?

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Obama apparently loves journalists who are aggressive in pursuing stories, as long as they investigate someone other than him. He has used the espionage act to prosecute leaks twice as much as it has been used in entire history of its existence.

(Note: White House press secretary Jay Carney began today’s briefing by praising journalists who have died covering the unrest in Syria: Marie Colvin and Rémi Ochlik as well as Anthony Shadid.)
TAPPER: The White House keeps praising these journalists who are — who’ve been killed –
CARNEY: I don’t know about “keep” — I think -
TAPPER: You’ve done it, Vice President Biden did it in a statement. How does that square with the fact that this administration has been so aggressively trying to stop aggressive journalism in the United States by using the Espionage Act to take whistleblowers to court?
You’re — currently I think that you’ve invoked it the sixth time, and before the Obama administration, it had only been used three times in history. You’re — this is the sixth time you’re suing a CIA officer for allegedly providing information in 2009 about CIA torture. Certainly that’s something that’s in the public interest of the United States. The administration is taking this person to court. There just seems to be disconnect here. You want aggressive journalism abroad; you just don’t want it in the United States.
CARNEY: Well, I would hesitate to speak to any particular case, for obvious reasons, and I would refer you to the Department of Justice for more on that.
I think we absolutely honor and praise the bravery of reporters who are placing themselves in extremely dangerous situations in order to bring a story of oppression and brutality to the world. I think that is commendable, and it’s certainly worth noting by us. And as somebody who knew both Anthony and Marie, I particularly appreciate what they did to bring that story to the American people.
I — as for other cases, again, without addressing any specific case, I think that there are issues here that involve highly sensitive classified information, and I think that, you know, those are — divulging or to — divulging that kind of information is a serious issue, and it always has been.
TAPPER: So the truth should come out abroad; it shouldn’t come out here?

The WH Loves Aggressive Journalism — Abroad — Today’s Q’s for O’s WH — 2/22/2012 - ABC News

Don't know that I can compare the Obama Admin to any other, but I do think their record is far from spotless. Especially at the DOJ over things like Fast and Furious, these guys stonewall like crazy.

so youre saying he shouldnt use the espionage act to prosecute people who leak classified information? this is a slippery slope you walk. i agree that yes there are probably something that should be public and would be in the public well being, but at the same time other information needs to remain classified.

torture memos, should definitely be released, but im sure there are many other memos that need to stay a secret.

so youre saying he shouldnt use the espionage act to prosecute people who leak classified information? this is a slippery slope you walk. i agree that yes there are probably something that should be public and would be in the public well being, but at the same time other information needs to remain classified.

torture memos, should definitely be released, but im sure there are many other memos that need to stay a secret.

If torture memos should be released why is he going after someone who released torture memos? The neat thing about my position is you defend it for me.

i never said i didnt agree with it. just because i support Obama doesnt mean i support him blindly. his administration need to explain itself. but im not going to use this one single disagreement as a reason to bash everything else he has done.

Finally, some right wing support for Bradley Manning.

One can note an obvious lie or inconsistency without actually supporting the act.

One must ask though, since Bush was such a dullard and so prone to taking over, according to you all, why is it that Obama has to invoke a law 6 times that Bush did not invoke more then at most 3 times in 8 years?

Why do Government employees feel the need to leak information 4 times as fast under Obama then they did under Bush? ( 6 in 4 years as opposed to 3 at most in 8)

Why is it that whistle blowers find themselves charged with crimes under Obama when there are laws protecting whistle blowers?

Why is that Obama proclaimed in 2008 and 2009 that his administration would be the most open in the History of the Country but in fact it is one of the most secretive to come down the pike?

For example I can note that he has invoked a law against leaks 6 times and in the history of the law it was only used 3 times before him without actually meaning that I oppose prosecuting leakers of National Secrets.

i never said i didnt agree with it. just because i support Obama doesnt mean i support him blindly. his administration need to explain itself. but im not going to use this one single disagreement as a reason to bash everything else he has done.

This is far from the only disagreement anyone should have with him. He brought charges against Thomas Drake for using the channels set up by the government for whistle blowers to report malfeasance. The ACLU has alleged that the Obama administration is using the espionage act to prosecute whistle blowers, and it is actually causing the press to question the motivations of the administration.

Finally, some right wing support for Bradley Manning.

One can note an obvious lie or inconsistency without actually supporting the act.

One must ask though, since Bush was such a dullard and so prone to taking over, according to you all, why is it that Obama has to invoke a law 6 times that Bush did not invoke more then at most 3 times in 8 years?

Why do Government employees feel the need to leak information 4 times as fast under Obama then they did under Bush? ( 6 in 4 years as opposed to 3 at most in 8)

Why is it that whistle blowers find themselves charged with crimes under Obama when there are laws protecting whistle blowers?

Why is that Obama proclaimed in 2008 and 2009 that his administration would be the most open in the History of the Country but in fact it is one of the most secretive to come down the pike?

For example I can note that he has invoked a law against leaks 6 times and in the history of the law it was only used 3 times before him without actually meaning that I oppose prosecuting leakers of National Secrets.

Bush never invoked it. Obama is actually going after leaks Bush shrugged off.

Yeah... why bash him for

Wiping his ass with the constitution.

running up the debt.

apologizing to the world for the U.S.

passing a lie he called heathcare reform.

I mean...c'mon....give him a break.

intense-albums-intrepid-picture4323-att00004.jpg

Yeah... why bash him for

running up the debt.

can you provide any proof he has blatantly violated the constitution?

the biggest drivers of the national debt at the wars in iraq and afghanistan, the 2001 / 2003 tax cuts and medicare part D. these were all passed by a GOP controlled congress. How is this Obama's fault?

since Obama took office we have been able to actually bring our allies back to table and support our positions, rather than going at it alone. like we have do to in Iraq and Afghanistan for the most part. Why do you feel that just because youre American that automatically make you a better citizen of the world?

can you name an actual section of the health care act that you disagree with besides the mandate? i guarantee that you havent even read it.

What would constitute proof? How about a list of things Obama said were unconstitutional before he was president that he now routinely supports, would that be preef?

the biggest drivers of the national debt at the wars in iraq and afghanistan, the 2001 / 2003 tax cuts and medicare part D. these were all passed by a GOP controlled congress. How is this Obama's fault?

Did you get all of that wrong because you are stupid or because you are lying?

since Obama took office we have been able to actually bring our allies back to table and support our positions, rather than going at it alone. like we have do to in Iraq and Afghanistan for the most part. Why do you feel that just because youre American that automatically make you a better citizen of the world?

We have? Is that why Pakistan has fired health workers that participated in a CIA plot and has ordered us to close airbases? Is that why we decided to try to tell an ally that their constitution was wrong and they had to let a man who was trying to become a dictator stay in power? Is that why we are not supporting our closest ally? Is that why the UN refused to support us intervening in Syria after we lied to them about what we would do in Libya? Do you live in an alternate universe?

can you name an actual section of the health care act that you disagree with besides the mandate? i guarantee that you havent even read it.

Yes, I disagree with Congress delegating its authority to the executive branch.

What would constitute proof? How about a list of things Obama said were unconstitutional before he was president that he now routinely supports, would that be preef?

We have? Is that why Pakistan has fired health workers that participated in a CIA plot and has ordered us to close airbases? Is that why we decided to try to tell an ally that their constitution was wrong and they had to let a man who was trying to become a dictator stay in power? Is that why we are not supporting our closest ally? Is that why the UN refused to support us intervening in Syria after we lied to them about what we would do in Libya? Do you live in an alternate universe?

1 - if obama has blatantly violated the constitution, why has he not been removed from office, or subject to litigation by the courts? just because you want to believe he has violate the constitution doesnt make it true. did bush violate the constitution by using torture? isnt that a violation of cruel and unusual punishment? what about indefinite detainees? isnt that a violation of a quick and speedy trial?

2 - proof of the debt drivers:
Republican Leaders Voted for Debt Drivers They Blame on Obama - Bloomberg

3 - really? you consider pakistan an ally, seeing as how that is where we found Bin Laden? The UN also refused action again Iran which the US supported. does that make the UN good or bad?

4 - what section of the health care code actually says that.

Yeah... why bash him for

running up the debt.

Well, let's see. The constitution was put in place to restrain the federal government essetially giving it a specific scope. Health Care can't be found on the front or back of hte document......

Next.

Yeah... why bash him for

running up the debt.

Well, let's see. The constitution was put in place to restrain the federal government essetially giving it a specific scope. Health Care can't be found on the front or back of hte document......

Next.
really the health care law? this wont be decided until this summer. as half the federal judges found it constitutional and the other half unconstitutional. low and behold the 3 that said it was constitutional were appointed by democratic presidents and the three who found it unconstitutional were appointed by GOP presidents.

not exactly a glaring violation of the constitution at this point.

and if you follow the rulings, the decisions hinged upon whether or not health care is a product that crosses state lines, and can thus be regulated under the interstate commerce clause. there was even one ruling in which the judge did not accept a lawyers argument that people should be free to choose to participate in the health care market. he rejected this.

Obama Health Care Reform Ruling: Appeals Court Upholds Law
this ruling was by conservative judges as well.

Health care law held constitutional in latest appeals court ruling - Page 2 - CNN

The states say individuals cannot be forced to buy insurance, a "product" they may neither want nor need. The Justice Department has countered the states' argument by saying that since every American will need medical care at some point in their lives, individuals do not "choose" to participate in the health care market. Federal officials cite 2008 figures of $43 billion in uncompensated costs from the millions of uninsured people who receive health services, costs that are shifted to insurance companies and passed on to consumers.

1 - if obama has blatantly violated the constitution, why has he not been removed from office, or subject to litigation by the courts? just because you want to believe he has violate the constitution doesnt make it true. did bush violate the constitution by using torture? isnt that a violation of cruel and unusual punishment? what about indefinite detainees? isnt that a violation of a quick and speedy trial?

3 - really? you consider pakistan an ally, seeing as how that is where we found Bin Laden? The UN also refused action again Iran which the US supported. does that make the UN good or bad?

1. Because both sides like it when their party does it, so they tend to let it slide when the other side does.
  2. Funny article, thanks.
  3. Do you consider them an enemy, considering we had troops stationed there and never had a problem when Bush was president?
  4. I thought you read it. If you do you will see lots of things along the lines of "The secretary shall determine" in places where Congress, according to what the constitution says, is responsible for writing laws.

1. Because both sides like it when their party does it, so they tend to let it slide when the other side does.
  2. Funny article, thanks.
  3. Do you consider them an enemy, considering we had troops stationed there and never had a problem when Bush was president?
  4. I thought you read it. If you do you will see lots of things along the lines of "The secretary shall determine" in places where Congress, according to what the constitution says, is responsible for writing laws.
1 - very true
2 - yes it is
3 - i dont consider them an enemy, but they arent exactly our friends. they didnt like the drone attacks over their soil after we asked them to do something about terrorist on thier soil, and they didnt even know bin laden was hiding there.
4 - i still havent seen an exact section of the law you disagree with.

Forum List

Back