Most of blame goes to Bush for financial crisis

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
In 2003, during the height of the predatory lending crisis, the OCC invoked a clause from the 1863 National Bank Act to issue formal opinions preempting all state predatory lending laws, thereby rendering them inoperative. The OCC also promulgated new rules that prevented states from enforcing any of their own consumer protection laws against national banks. The federal government's actions were so egregious and so unprecedented that all 50 state attorneys general, and all 50 state banking superintendents, actively fought the new rules.

But the unanimous opposition of the 50 states did not deter, or even slow, the Bush administration in its goal of protecting the banks. In fact, when my office opened an investigation of possible discrimination in mortgage lending by a number of banks, the OCC filed a federal lawsuit to stop the investigation.
Eliot Spitzer - Predatory Lenders' Partner in Crime - washingtonpost.com

This article was written in February. The Bush administration prevented states from protecting their citizens from predatory lenders.

What exactly is Bush trying to do?

i remember the States screaming about this a few years back....
I'd forgotten about it.

I really am starting to suspect that Bush has some ulterior motive to destroy the country. At the very least, to concentrate all the power into the hands of the corporate world for some personal gain for the GOP.

No doubt the current administration and congress all have to bear some responsibility for this mess. Too bad we all cant blame just one party huh? It would make this all so much easier. :lol:

oh such a good point.

I mean look at financial disaster under clinton.:tongue:

No doubt the current administration and congress all have to bear some responsibility for this mess. Too bad we all cant blame just one party huh? It would make this all so much easier. :lol:
Oh, it's the fault of both parties. But I think most of the fault is with Bush, his administration, and his yes men (GOP).

Oh, it's the fault of both parties. But I think most of the fault is with Bush, his administration, and his yes men (GOP).

hey ravi---if that makes you feel like a winner, go for it. It's not like everything hasnt been Bush's fault the whole time anyway.

Just make sure you call your representatives and tell them NO to this bailout.

No worries--might be the first thing ever done in a bi-partisan fashion. When the shit hits the fan I just hope everyone aint gonna play " I was for it before I was against it ". That shit's old.

McCain's Economic Adviser is ex-Texas Sen. Phil Gramm. On Dec. 15, 2000, hours before Congress was to leave for Christmas recess, Gramm had a 262-page amendment slipped into the appropriations bill. It forbade federal agencies to regulate the financial derivatives that greased the skids for passing along risky mortgage-backed securities to investors. And that, my friends, is why everything's falling apart. That is why the taxpayers are now on the hook for the follies of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Bear Stearns and now the insurance giant AIG to the tune of $700 billion.

Derivatives are the reason for the collapse. They allowed the lending of money without money to back it up. The same thing happened in 1929. Phil Gramm is to blame.

Derivatives are the reason for the collapse. They allowed the lending of money without money to back it up. The same thing happened in 1929. Phil Gramm is to blame.

Thom Hartmann was talking about how there was a tax on buying stocks that the GOP got rid of. 1960's maybe? 1/4th of 1% on every trade. So $100 would cost you 25 cents. No biggy. But it is a big deal to the top 1% who trade constantly. But, this would slow down trading. We know this because when they took away the tax, trading went up. And apparently putting this tax back would bail out the banks that are at risk. I don't pretend to know all the details on this one.

But we just know the $700 bailout Bush is trying to pass is crap. And I hear John Boehner trying hard to sell it too, so I know it must be a scam.

hey ravi---if that makes you feel like a winner, go for it. It's not like everything hasnt been Bush's fault the whole time anyway.

you can say that again.

Everything has been Bush's fault the whole time.

thanks.

and just to be clear about why it's bush and the stupid ass republicans faults

what the hell party do you think is in favor of no regulation?

huh?

excuse me?

please.

At the very least, to concentrate all the power into the hands of the corporate world for some personal gain for the GOP.

Yes, it sure seems like a last ditch, short sighted power grab.

thanks.

and just to be clear about why it's bush and the stupid ass republicans faults

what the hell party do you think is in favor of no regulation?

huh?

excuse me?

please.

yes yes--everything is Bush's fault. Go back to your room

Last edited:

Forum List

Back