Most insurance companies won't cover vaccines for children

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Parents who bring their kids to Dr. G. Andrew McIntosh for the chicken pox vaccine are out of luck.

The family physician, who has a solo practice in Uniontown, Ohio, doesn't offer that shot because he can't afford it. Most insurers won't sufficiently cover the cost.

"It doesn't do me any good. I am losing money on [them]," he said. The chicken pox vaccine runs about $115, but insurers only cover between $68 to $83 of that.

McIntosh has also cut back on a handful of other critical childhood vaccines for the same reason -- including the measles, mumps and rubella, known as the MMR vaccine.

It costs him about $58 to buy an MMR shot, he said, while insurers pay about about $40.

So McIntosh keeps a lot less of the MMR on hand. If a patient needs the shot and he doesn't have it, he sends them to a nearby public health clinic.

High vaccine costs means fewer doctors are offering shots - Sep. 8, 2009

This honestly isn't surprising. Insurance companies charge more and more yet cover less and less.

To gain Pre-Existing Medical Coverage, one has to wait an entire 9 months if not longer. Which means Pregnant Women who want to get insurance to cover their pregnancy are unable to. Cancer and Diabetes can also be considered Pre-Existing Conditions.

A sad truth that needs to be fixed, yet those in Congress don't even want to do that. Never mind a health care bill. Some people in Congress (majority Republican) believe that this is alright. I suppose they are using the "It's Patriotic to have this kind of health insurance" position.

That's not blood you're coughing there little boy, it's freedom. :eusa_eh:

This honestly isn't surprising. Insurance companies charge more and more yet cover less and less.

To gain Pre-Existing Medical Coverage, one has to wait an entire 9 months if not longer. Which means Pregnant Women who want to get insurance to cover their pregnancy are unable to. Cancer and Diabetes can also be considered Pre-Existing Conditions.

A sad truth that needs to be fixed, yet those in Congress don't even want to do that. Never mind a health care bill. Some people in Congress (majority Republican) believe that this is alright. I suppose they are using the "It's Patriotic to have this kind of health insurance" position.

Why is it costing the doctor so much from whatever supplier he gets his vaccines from? It's because there is no patent on those vaccines and they are mandatory vaccines. But the government distributes them for free so they gouge the private practitioner. The vaccine suppliers aren't happy with the money they make from the government so they gouge everybody else.

The government mandates the vaccines so they offer them for free. They have to. It's in the best interests of the population at large.

Why is it costing the doctor so much from whatever supplier he gets his vaccines from? It's because there is no patent on those vaccines and they are mandatory vaccines. But the government distributes them for free so they gouge the private practitioner. The vaccine suppliers aren't happy with the money they make from the government so they gouge everybody else.

The government mandates the vaccines so they offer them for free. They have to. It's in the best interests of the population at large.

No. It costs so much because many doctors are solo practitioner and therefore have no bargaining power when it comes to purchasing these vaccinations.

The State, and large medical organizations/hospitals, can purchase from the supplier at deep discounts.

The insurance companies do not take this into consideration.

When I was private practice, I dreaded purchasing vaccines - imagine having $4,000 worth of supplies which have an expiration date and are very temperature sensitive, sitting in a little shitty cube refrigerator for a few months. You would always have a little bit of shit in your pants.

I was speaking more in general terms then this. I do get what you're saying though.

No. It costs so much because many doctors are solo practitioner and therefore have no bargaining power when it comes to purchasing these vaccinations.

The State, and large medical organizations/hospitals, can purchase from the supplier at deep discounts.

The insurance companies do not take this into consideration.

When I was private practice, I dreaded purchasing vaccines - imagine having $4,000 worth of supplies which have an expiration date and are very temperature sensitive, sitting in a little shitty cube refrigerator for a few months. You would always have a little bit of shit in your pants.

Which would be gouging. And yes, vaccines are frangible inventory. Plus suppliers hate making them because they can't make huge profits.

Forum List

Back