Most importantly we need to create jobs, increasing taxes helps attain that how?

[...]

However, redistribution of wealth is NOT an American ideal...taking from someone becuase we decided they dont need that much is just not what we are made of.
The situation is not quite so simple and I respectfully suggest that presenting it in those terms is to propagate a common notion put forth by such right-wing provocateurs as Beck, Hannity, Limbaugh, Coulter, Mahlsberg, O'Reilly, Levin, et. al.

The purpose of the proposal to increase taxes on the rich is not to implement direct "redistribution" as would occur in a communist entity, which of course would not conform with any "American ideal." But I think you'll agree that the socio-economic situation which existed here during the three decades between 1940 and 1980 may indeed be thought of as ideal. The economy then was in excellent condition overall. Unemployment was low, wages were high, there were plenty of millionaires with new ones emerging every day, union membership was high and growing and the American middle class was the envy of the world.

What happened since that time is best described as systematic pillaging of a fine-tuned economy which was accomplished by removing regulations and changing laws which kept that machine functioning so well and by causing what in fact was a conspicuously direct redistribution of middle class wealth to a very small percentage of the population.

Explanations of just some of the ways that redistribution was implemented may be found at the following websites:

Who Caused the Economic Crisis? | FactCheck.org

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article8210.html

Those are just some of the devious maneuvers which ultimately led to the economic problems we're seeing today. In the simplest terms, systematic theft of America's wealth was implemented by making legal that which once was illegal and enabling new forms of swindling, such as certain hedge-fund operations, sub-prime mortgage lending and offshore banking practices which are nothing but legal tax evasion. Add to the list of wealth redistributing techniques the exportation of jobs by American corporations and the importation of foreign products with minimal tariffs.

Can you say that any of the above methods of acquiring excessive wealth in any way reflects an American ideal? And would you agree that restoring the tax rates to the same level that facilitated the most productive and economically successful years in our history would be not only fair but certainly sensible?

Last edited:
Please explain to me how raising taxes is going to help create jobs.

Easing taxes and regulations can help to create jobs which in turn will broaden the tax base which will increase revenue.

So again explain the path from raising taxes to jobs for me please.

So the GOP increases the tax for state workers by changing their contracts and making them pay more for retirement and health care but the wealthy shouldn't have to pay more?

Why should the middle class, the people who spend money which creates demand which creates jobs, have to pay for the wealthy’s windfall?

It's just wrong on so many levels.

Tax the crap out of 'em and re-reallocate the wealth the GOP sent to the already wealthy.

Most importantly we need to create jobs, increasing taxes helps attain that how?

While many of us on Planet Earth agree with your premise (which I've bolded), the folks in power have decided that the deficit is the most important issue today and thus immediate contractionary fiscal policy is needed. Jobs aren't playing into the equation.

It's a matter of incentives. If you knew you were going to be taxed 50% of your profits, you would make damn sure to report as low a profit as possible. You can do this by increasing salaries and benefits and increasing investment in your company.

Easing taxes and regulations can help to create jobs which in turn will broaden the tax base which will increase revenue.

I thought it was obvious.

Since the wealthy are sitting on unspent and uninvested trillions and corporations are making the largest profits in history, throwing money at them obviously doesn't spur job growth.

Whether it's in the form of "subsidies". Or "tax breaks". After all, they live in this country too. They get to use the "facilities". They know it's a stable and "safe haven". Time to "pay" for some of that "safe haven".

So you get them to pay a "FAIR SHARE", then you use that money on roads, tunnels, the electrical grid, bridges and so on. Or innovation, research and education. (oh the right hates education)

Why the the right wing finds this so "left" and "out there" is a mystery to me. Since the report that 70,000 bridges are unsafe and after the one in the midwest fell down during rush hour, I tense every time I cross a bridge. Is this one of the 70,000?

And what do roads and bridges do? How about "connect communities" which always makes even more "job opportunities".

Why doesn't the right understand? Is it the lack of imagination?

So you get them to pay a "FAIR SHARE", then you use that money on roads, tunnels, the electrical grid, bridges and so on. Or innovation, research and education. (oh the right hates education)

I keep seeing the Libs here who love to spend other peoples money demand that the rich pay their "fair share"....i have been to a number of websites trying to determine what percentage of taxes makes up this so called fair share....How much will make you guys happy?....and how long after you get the rich to pay their "fair share" will you be demanding the rich pay even more of their fair share.:lol:

Since the wealthy are sitting on unspent and uninvested trillions and corporations are making the largest profits in history, throwing money at them obviously doesn't spur job growth.

Whether it's in the form of "subsidies". Or "tax breaks". After all, they live in this country too. They get to use the "facilities". They know it's a stable and "safe haven". Time to "pay" for some of that "safe haven".

Why the the right wing finds this so "left" and "out there" is a mystery to me. Since the report that 70,000 bridges are unsafe and after the one in the midwest fell down during rush hour, I tense every time I cross a bridge. Is this one of the 70,000?

And what do roads and bridges do? How about "connect communities" which always makes even more "job opportunities".

I keep seeing the Libs here who love to spend other peoples money demand that the rich pay their "fair share"....i have been to a number of websites trying to determine what percentage of taxes makes up this so called fair share....How much will make you guys happy?....and how long after you get the rich to pay their "fair share" will you be demanding the rich pay even more of their fair share.:lol:

Let's start at a time when the economy was in good shape, employment was up and inflation was down and wages for the middle class were on the rise instead of flat for 30 years.

What was the tax rate for the wealthy then and why wouldn't it work again? It's clear that tax breaks haven't created any jobs or fixed the economy, why would you want to continue a failed policy?

Increasing taxes doesn't create jobs other than government jobs which do nothing for the economy, lowering taxes allows businesses to create jobs. we need to cut spending not raise taxes.

Paying Higher Taxes makes all those Struggling Small Business owners feel all patriotic and warm and Fuzzy when they have to pay more of their profits to the Government. It makes them so happy, they hire more people, despite making less profit from their endeavors:redface::redface:.

Don't forget anyone who makes over 200k (250) as a couple. Is an evil Rich Leach who is sucking the peoples wealth from them.

What you didn't know that According to Obama, people who make over 200k are Millionaires and Billionaires right?

I know lets pass a new tax on the super rich. Not an income tax. A net worth tax. Every year they pay 50% of their total Net Wealth to the government. After 10 Years or so there will be no More Evil Rich left and we will all live in a utopia of equality and happiness.

Woooooo Hoooooooo!

Last edited:
Don't forget anyone who makes over 200k (250) as a couple. Is an evil Rich Leach who is sucking the peoples wealth from them.

What you didn't know that According to Obama, people who make over 200k are Millionaires and Billionaires right?

I know lets pass a new tax on the super rich. Not an income tax. A net worth tax. Every year they pay 50% of their total Net Wealth to the government. After 10 Years or so there will be no More Evil Rich left and we will all live in a utopia of equality and happiness.

Woooooo Hoooooooo!

Horseshit.

All we need to do is repeal the Bush tax cuts and raise the top rate 3%.

Increasing taxes doesn't create jobs other than government jobs which do nothing for the economy, lowering taxes allows businesses to create jobs. we need to cut spending not raise taxes.

400 people are sitting on HALF THE WEALTH in this country.

What is more important, that American children get an education, that our people get healthcare, that roads and bridges get fixed, that advanced materials research be done, that our military be supplied with the best equipment, that old people be taken care of, that our debt be paid down, that food and water be safe, that our environment be clean, OR THAT THE KOCH BROTHERS GET A NEW YACHT???

Last edited:
Well your idea about roads and bridges creating jobs is a myth imo. I live in KC. It has a large population with high unemployment. We have major road and bridge projects going on every year including before the downturn. Those projects have had 0 impact on our unemployed.

As far as corporations sitting on money your right. But why? Could it be the fear of the massive regulations? Could it be fear that obamas policies are going to have negative impacts on the economy as a whole?

I'll give you one example of jobs lost because of fear.... I am willing and able to buy another company truck. It's about a 50k investment. I have the money but am scared to death to spend it because I don't feel confident that I will have enough work through the next year to justify the investment.

Now do you consider me one of those evil and greedy business men?

You can't explain to stupid. Building bridges has zero impact on the unemployed? Is that why Republicans in the house fight for those federal dollars they vote against? Because building those bridges don't make jobs? Because bridges don't connect communities?

Remember this "myth"?

6a0128773aba66970c0147e14b4497970b-800wi

This is why you can't argue with right wingers. Soo Tupid.

[...]

I'll give you one example of jobs lost because of fear.... I am willing and able to buy another company truck. It's about a 50k investment. I have the money but am scared to death to spend it because I don't feel confident that I will have enough work through the next year to justify the investment.

Certainly not.

There are businessmen and there are men-in-business. If you are intimidated by a prospective $50k investment there is no way you can be thought of as a "greedy businessman."

I assume you know that an increase in upper level income taxes won't affect you at the same rate as it will affect those whose business and personal decisions typically reside in the region of millions and billions of dollars. While you might be doing better financially than most of us here, and your tax rate might be proportionately increased, the rate will not come close to that of the real upper levels.

You are blind wrong!!!

And there is NO PROOF lowering business taxes has created 1 job, except in the mythical world of GOP OZ.

That is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. Do you really believe that? Wow. I'll leave you with this quote:

"Government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of its way."
Henry David Thoreau

Well your idea about roads and bridges creating jobs is a myth imo. I live in KC. It has a large population with high unemployment. We have major road and bridge projects going on every year including before the downturn. Those projects have had 0 impact on our unemployed.

As far as corporations sitting on money your right. But why? Could it be the fear of the massive regulations? Could it be fear that obamas policies are going to have negative impacts on the economy as a whole?

You can't explain to stupid. Building bridges has zero impact on the unemployed? Is that why Republicans in the house fight for those federal dollars they vote against? Because building those bridges don't make jobs? Because bridges don't connect communities?

Remember this "myth"?

6a0128773aba66970c0147e14b4497970b-800wi

This is why you can't argue with right wingers. Soo Tupid.

I've had too many to appropriately respond to this insanity other than to say republicans had nothing to do with that collapse. The fact that you try to tie some inspector not doing his job to republican policies is disgusting.

I stand by my position that highway construction isn't the savior for our economys woes. Some schmuck might have gotten a job to fix that bridge for 3 months prior to its collapse but on the 4th month he would have been back on unemployment.

The plight of the American people can not be capsulated in a photo just for your talking point.

Disgusting

There is a huge disproportion in income in this country right now. All the money is at the top and people who want to get a piece of it can't.

What we need is to create a more competitive environment by allowing small businesses to compete with the larger ones. If you're going to give all the breaks to huge corporations then the little guy can't compete with that. That is one of the major reasons why closing loopholes or raising taxes on them is necessary. Because if that were to happen then a lot of jobs would be created due to the fact that more small businesses would actually be able to stay in business.

400 people are sitting on HALF THE WEALTH in this country.

What is more important, that American children get an education, that our people get healthcare, the roads and bridges get fixed, that advanced materials research be done, the our military be supplied with the best equipment, that old people be taken care of, the our debt be paid down, that food and water be safe, that our environment be clean, OR THAT THE KOCH BROTHERS GET A NEW YACHT???

yes...in writing that looks obvious.
No one is denying that.

However, redistribution of wealth is NOT an American ideal...taking from someone becuase we decided they dont need that much is just not what we are made of.

I deny that because one thing doesn't preclude the other. Furthermore, none of the items the imbecile listed are a proper function of the government. If the the libturds tax away the rich man's yacht, they tax away jobs. That demonstrated beyond doubt when the Democrat numbskulls imposed a tax directly on yachts.

No tax increase ever produced a single job in the private sector.

There is a huge disproportion in income in this country right now. All the money is at the top and people who want to get a piece of it can't.

What we need is to create a more competitive environment by allowing small businesses to compete with the larger ones. If you're going to give all the breaks to huge corporations then the little guy can't compete with that. That is one of the major reasons why closing loopholes or raising taxes on them is necessary. Because if that were to happen then a lot of jobs would be created due to the fact that more small businesses would actually be able to stay in business.

How would a tax increase produce a single job?

Let's start at a time when the economy was in good shape, employment was up and inflation was down and wages for the middle class were on the rise instead of flat for 30 years.

What was the tax rate for the wealthy then and why wouldn't it work again? It's clear that tax breaks haven't created any jobs or fixed the economy, why would you want to continue a failed policy?

So you want to lower the top tax rate to 25% like we had in the 1920s?

Forum List

Back