Most importantly we need to create jobs, increasing taxes helps attain that how?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Grampa Murked U, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,928
    Please explain to me how raising taxes is going to help create jobs.

Easing taxes and regulations can help to create jobs which in turn will broaden the tax base which will increase revenue.

So again explain the path from raising taxes to jobs for me please.

2. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,007
    I thought it was obvious.

Since the wealthy are sitting on unspent and uninvested trillions and corporations are making the largest profits in history, throwing money at them obviously doesn't spur job growth.

Whether it's in the form of "subsidies". Or "tax breaks". After all, they live in this country too. They get to use the "facilities". They know it's a stable and "safe haven". Time to "pay" for some of that "safe haven".

So you get them to pay a "FAIR SHARE", then you use that money on roads, tunnels, the electrical grid, bridges and so on. Or innovation, research and education. (oh the right hates education)

Why the the right wing finds this so "left" and "out there" is a mystery to me. Since the report that 70,000 bridges are unsafe and after the one in the midwest fell down during rush hour, I tense every time I cross a bridge. Is this one of the 70,000?

And what do roads and bridges do? How about "connect communities" which always makes even more "job opportunities".

Why doesn't the right understand? Is it the lack of imagination?

3. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    400 people are sitting on HALF THE WEALTH in this country.

What is more important, that American children get an education, that our people get healthcare, the roads and bridges get fixed, that advanced materials research be done, the our military be supplied with the best equipment, that old people be taken care of, the our debt be paid down, that food and water be safe, that our environment be clean, OR THAT THE KOCH BROTHERS GET A NEW YACHT???

4. Grampa Murked U

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,928
    Well your idea about roads and bridges creating jobs is a myth imo. I live in KC. It has a large population with high unemployment. We have major road and bridge projects going on every year including before the downturn. Those projects have had 0 impact on our unemployed.

As far as corporations sitting on money your right. But why? Could it be the fear of the massive regulations? Could it be fear that obamas policies are going to have negative impacts on the economy as a whole?

I'll give you one example of jobs lost because of fear.... I am willing and able to buy another company truck. It's about a 50k investment. I have the money but am scared to death to spend it because I don't feel confident that I will have enough work through the next year to justify the investment.

Now do you consider me one of those evil and greedy business men?

5. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,300
    We have the lowest taxes in 60 years at least and it's not creating jobs.

Now explain how cutting government spending will help create jobs. Explain how cutting, for example, the number of defense contracts the Pentagon spends billions on,

to private businesses in the US,

will create more, instead of fewer, jobs at those businesses.

There is NO job creating path to fiscal responsibility, getting rid of the deficit, balancing the budget, paying down the debt.

None. Period. Austerity hurts. Period. Stop pretending it doesn't.

6. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    You did not answer my question.

What is more important, that American children get an education, that our people get healthcare, the roads and bridges get fixed, that advanced materials research be done, the our military be supplied with the best equipment, that old people be taken care of, the our debt be paid down, that food and water be safe, that our environment be clean, OR THAT THE KOCH BROTHERS GET A NEW YACHT???

7. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    yes...in writing that looks obvious.
    No one is denying that.

However, redistribution of wealth is NOT an American ideal...taking from someone becuase we decided they dont need that much is just not what we are made of.

Look...I would love it if they were to give it to me.....I certainly can use it a lot more than they can....seeing as they have more than they can handle for sure.

But to forcibly take it from them? It is just not what America is supposed to be all about.

So please...stop with the "obvious"...and instead debate the reality....are we ready, as a nation, to start choosing "who we take from to solve our problems" without their consent?

8. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    thats the whole point.
    One issue has nothig to do with another.

The debt is one problem
    Unemployment is another.

So our goal should be to solve one without having a negative affect on the other.....IF WE CAN.

And that is what the debate should be about.

9. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Bullshit.

Paying taxes is patriotic, but the right has become anti American. They hate America. Why? Because America is about helping others, and the right is all about selfishness.

Because George Bush cut taxes and increased spending, we have a trillion dollar deficit. We need to repeal the Bush tax cut and cut spending. It's simple mathematics, and it is for the good of America.

10. Grampa Murked U

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,928
    The children get more money thrown at them every year and its had 0 results. Want education fixed get the unions out. I already addressed your roads illusion. R&d is a good thing if you can afford it, can we?

Now address my situation