Most Fargo flood victims did not have flood insurance.

SpidermanTuba

Rookie
May 7, 2004
New Orleans, Louisiana
The Associated Press: AP Enterprise: Few in flood zone have insurance

MOORHEAD, Minn. (AP) — As the Red River crept within view of their backyard this past week, Denette and Billy Narum had an extra incentive to pray their sandbags held. Like most people in the path of potential floods, they have no flood insurance.

Fewer than 800 homeowners in the North Dakota and Minnesota communities most threatened by the swollen river hold insurance policies covering flood damage despite a decade-long push by state and federal officials to get people signed up, according to federal records obtained by The Associated Press.

I guess they didn't learn from Katrina.

MOORHEAD, Minn. (AP) — As the Red River crept within view of their backyard this past week, Denette and Billy Narum had an extra incentive to pray their sandbags held. Like most people in the path of potential floods, they have no flood insurance.

Fewer than 800 homeowners in the North Dakota and Minnesota communities most threatened by the swollen river hold insurance policies covering flood damage despite a decade-long push by state and federal officials to get people signed up, according to federal records obtained by The Associated Press.

so in other words, the idiots DESERVE to go bankrupt? lose their houses?

what a jackass you are.

• Banned

what a jackass you are.

I'm just wondering why all the conservatives aren't hear yelling about their lack of personal responsibility. I mean - they knew they lived next to a river, right? And their state government had been urging them to get flood insurance for a decade, right? And then they had the convenience of being able to learn from the mistakes of others - Katrina, right? Yet, still no flood insurance? In areas where you are not required by law to have it, its not that expensive at all.

what a jackass you are.

I'm just wondering why all the conservatives aren't hear yelling about their lack of personal responsibility. I mean - they knew they lived next to a river, right? And their state government had been urging them to get flood insurance for a decade, right? And then they had the convenience of being able to learn from the mistakes of others - Katrina, right? Yet, still no flood insurance? In areas where you are not required by law to have it, its not that expensive at all.

funny no looting or murders either......

so in other words, the idiots deserve to go bankrupt? Lose their houses?

What a jackass you are.

i'm just wondering why all the conservatives aren't hear yelling about their lack of personal responsibility. I mean - they knew they lived next to a river, right? And their state government had been urging them to get flood insurance for a decade, right? And then they had the convenience of being able to learn from the mistakes of others - katrina, right? Yet, still no flood insurance? In areas where you are not required by law to have it, its not that expensive at all.

priceless!

what a jackass you are.

and you know the situations of each and every one of those people who lost their houses to this thing, right?

what a jackass you are.

I'm not sure what others consider expensive but around here flood insurance is expensive and people don't generally have it unless they are located in certain designated flood-prone areas and their mortgages require them to.

i'm just wondering why all the conservatives aren't hear yelling about their lack of personal responsibility. I mean - they knew they lived next to a river, right? And their state government had been urging them to get flood insurance for a decade, right? And then they had the convenience of being able to learn from the mistakes of others - katrina, right? Yet, still no flood insurance? In areas where you are not required by law to have it, its not that expensive at all.

I don't guess you idiots caught the update.
Stories of widespread rape, looting and murder now appear unfounded

its fairly recent, September of 05, so I can see why you missed it.

"We've not received an official report from anyone regarding any sexual assault that may have occurred... we haven't received any official coroners' reports regarding any homicides.

"We were getting calls that a couple of hospitals were being taken over by looters and raiders and that there was all kinds of mayhem taking place... and we would respond and of course there was nothing," Lt Lawrence McLeary of Louisiana State Police told the BBC News website

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | New Orleans violence 'overstated'

But I know, truth doesn't matter. If FOX news tells you there was widespread murder in the city, then it must be true, after all, its nothing but a bunch of n-----s, so fuck them.

what a jackass you are.

and you know the situations of each and every one of those people who lost their houses to this thing, right?

That was hardly necessary for making moral judgements about the victims of Katrina, why is it needed for Fargo? They didn't have flood insurance. They lived next to a river. Flood insurance is cheap. Personal responsibility. What happened to it?

That was hardly necessary for making moral judgements about the victims of Katrina, why is it needed for Fargo? They didn't have flood insurance. They lived next to a river. Flood insurance is cheap. Personal responsibility. What happened to it?

First, I never made any moral judgements about the people affected by katrina. I questioned why the govt never acted on the weakness of the levees. the netherlands has a system designed to withstand the storm of 10,000 years.
second, no one knows these people's situation. no one knows if they were financially reckless or not.

"We were getting calls that a couple of hospitals were being taken over by looters and raiders and that there was all kinds of mayhem taking place... and we would respond and of course there was nothing," Lt Lawrence McLeary of Louisiana State Police told the BBC News website

But I know, truth doesn't matter. If FOX news tells you there was widespread murder in the city, then it must be true, after all, its nothing but a bunch of n-----s, so fuck them.

I read the article and maybe my reading comprehension is not the best, but I did not see in the article your issue you have with FOX news.

what a jackass you are.

I'm not sure what others consider expensive but around here flood insurance is expensive and people don't generally have it unless they are located in certain designated flood-prone areas and their mortgages require them to.

Where is here?

According to this website:

FCIC: National Flood Insurance Guide

the average cost of flood insurance is $370 per year. That's not much, IMO, considering that if you need to use it, you get a house out of it.

BTW - I'm not trying to rag on the people of Fargo. Its actually quite impressive how they saved their town, and as a taxpayer, I'm fine with whatever money they need to rebuild being sent their way.

I just think its bullshit that the Sean Hannities of the world stood up and announced how irresponsible it was for Katrina victims to not have flood insurance. ALL of the victims that lived in what were designated as "high risk" flood zones were REQUIRED to have insurance and thus HAD insurance and were covered. Those who were uncovered were the ones living in the higher areas of the city which were designated as low risk and which were areas where one was not required to buy flood insurance. Those people are considered irresponsible jackasses by the Sean Hannties - while the people of Fargo who did they exact same thing are heroes.

Perhaps the insurance companies wouldn't insure them for flood? I know I live in an earthquake prone area and my neighbors paid for their earthquake insurance for more than 30 years before Alstate told them they were no longer providing earthquake insurance.

I thank the Lord that I have USAA, it's non-profit for military vets and their dependents. My kids won't be able to get it. I don't know what my oldest will do for insurance. I think all insurance companies are as bad as our government, corrupt and money hungry.

I read the article and maybe my reading comprehension is not the best, but I did not see in the article your issue you have with FOX news.

I didn't mean to pick on FOX in particular, the entire media was participating in the rumor mill. Substitute any network name there.

Where is here?

the average cost of flood insurance is $370 per year. That's not much, IMO, considering that if you need to use it, you get a house out of it.

BTW - I'm not trying to rag on the people of Fargo. Its actually quite impressive how they saved their town, and as a taxpayer, I'm fine with whatever money they need to rebuild being sent their way.

I just think its bullshit that the Sean Hannities of the world stood up and announced how irresponsible it was for Katrina victims to not have flood insurance. ALL of the victims that lived in what were designated as "high risk" flood zones were REQUIRED to have insurance and thus HAD insurance and were covered. Those who were uncovered were the ones living in the higher areas of the city which were designated as low risk and which were areas where one was not required to buy flood insurance. Those people are considered irresponsible jackasses by the Sean Hannties - while the people of Fargo who did they exact same thing are heroes.

then take it up with sean hannity

Perhaps the insurance companies wouldn't insure them for flood?

That's why there is federal flood insurance. Its subsidized. If you can't buy private flood insurance you can always buy federal insurance.

FEMA: The National Flood Insurance Program

Is there no sort of national subsidized insurance for earthquakes to insure people where private insurers won't? Maybe there should be.

Where is here?

then take it up with sean hannity

I'm surprised you didn't recommend I PM him.

Okay, I don't watch the MSM so I don't remember so many rape and murder stories about Katrina. I do remember seeing a video on youtube of people looting a Walmart, INCLUDING TWO COPS.

Forum List

Back