Most Dangerous Clash?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Annie, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion...0,5279634.column?coll=ny-viewpoints-headlines

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    short and to their point:

http://www.voanews.com/english/2005-03-27-voa3.cfm

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12675394%5E2703,00.html

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
  5. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You know, since China considers Taiwan as part of their country (while totally ignoring the true native Taiwanese not of Chinese descent) I wonder if they would try sending in troops to "quell" the protests. They could use this as an opportunity and since Taipei is not recognized by the UN, I bet the UN would sit on the side and do nothing. It would end up on the shoulders of the US and frankly, our shoulders are carrying enough burden right now. I don't think we could help much.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

I agree Free, will be interesting to see how the 'international community' addresses this. Seems to be heating up, again. It was enough to give EU pause for lifting the ban.

7. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    China vs. Taiwan is a conflict that would be primarily naval in nature, at least in the beginning. China would have no way to hold onto the island without enforcing a complete, devastating blockade of the area, which the US Navy will not allow. We have enough naval forces at this time (2-3 aircraft carrier battle groups in the Pacific at all times, including the largest in the Navy, mine!) to respond and have a fighting chance.

The Navy, unlike the Marines (to an extent for them) and definitely unlike the Army, has not been strained at all by Iraq and Afghanistan. The sheer number of assets available in Japan would be an adequate fighting force to take back Taiwan, while also considering the likely deployment of Japan's military alongside America's, as well as South Korea, Australia and possibly India.

It will be bloody, messy and fatal, more than likely for myself and others here on the Kitty Hawk, who would be the first responders and probably the first and only victims of whatever nasty surprises the Chinese have been developing for the past few decades.

America and her many allies in Asia can and will win though.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well it seems like China has been building up to something for quite awhile now. Submarines in Japan/South Korean waters I believe? I wonder if they think the country just would not actually respond to this, because of the other wars? Would be a serious misjudgement, but it's happened before.

9. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    They've succeeded in pissing the Japanese off, rather than scaring them (like North Korea does). They've made a disasterous misjudgement with their anti-secession law that will ensure the EU will not sell them arms for at least another three to five years. They proved to the rest of Asia they are a power/resource hungry aggressor. I hate to consider it, but it would be not be a surprise if they made a similiar misjudgement with going to war over taiwan.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

I hope we're both wrong, but fear we aren't.