MOST Corporations pay NO US Income Taxes

BlackAsCoal

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2008
Yet another false Reaganesque "free market" trickle-down theory exposed

Study says most corporations pay no U.S. income taxes

excerpt --

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Most U.S. and foreign corporations doing business in the United States avoid paying any federal income taxes, despite trillions of dollars worth of sales, a government study released on Tuesday said.

The Government Accountability Office said 72 percent of all foreign corporations and about 57 percent of U.S. companies doing business in the United States paid no federal income taxes for at least one year between 1998 and 2005.

More than half of foreign companies and about 42 percent of U.S. companies paid no U.S. income taxes for two or more years in that period, the report said.

During that time corporate sales in the United States totaled $2.5 trillion, according to Democratic Sens. Carl Levin of Michigan and Byron Dorgan of North Dakota, who requested the GAO study.

---

Dorgan in a statement called the report "a shocking indictment of the current tax system." Levin said it made clear that "too many corporations are using tax trickery to send their profits overseas and avoid paying their fair share in the United States."

Study says most corporations pay no U.S. income taxes | U.S. | Reuters

It appears there is sound evidence and reason for Obama to seek ways to close the loopholes corporations are using to defraud the American people.

The question is .. will he do it.

excerpt --

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Most U.S. and foreign corporations doing business in the United States avoid paying any federal income taxes, despite trillions of dollars worth of sales, a government study released on Tuesday said.

The Government Accountability Office said 72 percent of all foreign corporations and about 57 percent of U.S. companies doing business in the United States paid no federal income taxes for at least one year between 1998 and 2005.

More than half of foreign companies and about 42 percent of U.S. companies paid no U.S. income taxes for two or more years in that period, the report said.

During that time corporate sales in the United States totaled $2.5 trillion, according to Democratic Sens. Carl Levin of Michigan and Byron Dorgan of North Dakota, who requested the GAO study.

---

Dorgan in a statement called the report "a shocking indictment of the current tax system." Levin said it made clear that "too many corporations are using tax trickery to send their profits overseas and avoid paying their fair share in the United States."

It appears there is sound evidence and reason for Obama to seek ways to close the loopholes corporations are using to defraud the American people.

I'm so shocked I don't know what to do with myself:eek: The rich avoiding to pay taxes:confused:

excerpt --

---

Common sense should tell you it won't work out that way. Obama taxes corporations, corporations pass on tax to consumers. Corporations still pay no taxes. Be realistic that's the way it will go down.

Over the last three years, Exxon Mobil has paid an average of $27 billion annually in taxes. That's $27,000,000,000 per year, a number so large it's hard to comprehend. Here's one way to put Exxon's taxes into perspective.

According to IRS data for 2004, the most recent year available:

Total number of tax returns: 130 million

Number of Tax Returns for the Bottom 50%: 65 million

Adjusted Gross Income for the Bottom 50%: $922 billion

Total Income Tax Paid by the Bottom 50%: $27.4 billion

Conclusion: In other words, just one corporation (Exxon Mobil) pays as much in taxes ($27 billion) annually as the entire bottom 50% of individual taxpayers, which is 65,000,000 people! Further, the tax rate for the bottom 50% is only 3% of adjusted gross income ($27.4 billion / $922 billion), and the tax rate for Exxon was 41% in 2006 ($67.4 billion in taxable income, $27.9 billion in taxes).

Exxon's 2007 Tax Bill: $30 Billion - Seeking Alpha

There is no doubt that the complex tax system is a joke and is in need of repair... I don't think you will get much argument from anyone on that....

I'm one who is a proponent of a flax tax based system with the closing of loopholes, elimination of most deductions, and a basis on (minimum wage X 40 X 50 weeks work a year) as the zero line for taxes... thus eliminating the complexity, reducing the needed size of the IRS and hence saving government expenditures.. and a similar system for corporate taxes as well...

Common sense should tell you it won't work out that way. Obama taxes corporations, corporations pass on tax to consumers. Corporations still pay no taxes. Be realistic that's the way it will go down.

That's the thing about common sense.

It is commonly senseless.

They cannot pass the taxes onto the consumers because they pay taxes on the profits after the consumer is no longer part of the model.

Now, if they want to recoup the money they paid in corporate taxes next year, they can charge their customers more for their products.

But THEN, they will pay still more taxes on the higher profits they made from their now higher priced goods, in that next taxable year, and therefore they will pay still more taxes on those increased profits.

Common sense...don't leave B-school without it.

Corporations pay no taxes because all of their profits were either paid out to shareholders or reinvested into the company there fore no income (profit) was realized by the corporation.

What is so hard to understand about that?

You should be glad that corps. didn't pay income tax because the individual rates of all those people who received dividends or higher salaries are higher than the corporate tax rate so the government got MORE tax dollars not less.

So what would you rather have a corporation that doesn't hire some more people so they can pay taxes or a corporation that pays out its profits to expand, hire people and pay more salaries and those people pay more taxes?

Look, you like Reagan so we'll NEVER agree.

You deduced this from where exactley? It is also irrelevant to what I said. What I said isn't open to debate. Corproate America and the rich supply the vast majority of the tax revenues for the country.

Last edited:
That's the thing about common sense.

It is commonly senseless.

They cannot pass the taxes onto the consumers because they pay taxes on the profits after the consumer is no longer part of the model.

Now, if they want to recoup the money they paid in corporate taxes next year, they can charge their customers more for their products.

But THEN, they will pay still more taxes on the higher profits they made from their now higher priced goods, in that next taxable year, and therefore they will pay still more taxes on those increased profits.

Common sense...don't leave B-school without it.

This is what you call common sense? This only works if you assume their profits are going to increase due to their increase in price, which definately not a given since increase in price reduces demand.

You deduced this from where exactley? It is also irrelevant to what I said. What I said isn't open to debate. Corproate America and the rich supply the vast majority of the tax revenues for the country.

I deduced that from your sig " Its time for another Ronny in the white house."

Please, read my sig cause it obviously applies to you

Corporations pay no taxes because all of their profits were either paid out to shareholders or reinvested into the company there fore no income (profit) was realized by the corporation.

What is so hard to understand about that?

You should be glad that corps. didn't pay income tax because the individual rates of all those people who received dividends or higher salaries are higher than the corporate tax rate so the government got MORE tax dollars not less.

So what would you rather have a corporation that doesn't hire some more people so they can pay taxes or a corporation that pays out its profits to expand, hire people and pay more salaries and those people pay more taxes?

I want to add to this. Since S corporations are the most prevalent type of corp in the country, and sub-chapter S corporations by definition pay no corporate tax, then of course most US corps pay no corporate income tax. this is just another Dimocrat red herring to support their tax the rich evil corporation mantra

Do you guys even read what you post? I suggest you ACTUALLY read the article. it does not say what the thread claims it says.

The title of the thread is essentially the title of the article .. or did that escape you?

Ok, THEN GIVE ME 1 EXAMPLE OF A TIME PERIOD WHEN TRICKLE DOWN WORKED, JUST 1.

Forum List

Back