Most Corporations Avoid Paying Taxes

:clap2: LOL You are absolutely clueless on how Business work those same 1000 widgets can also be made by 70 workers instead of 100 and with no incentive to hire more the business will save money in the process.
i'm sorry, this may be the dumbest post i've ever, ever, ever read.

unless the tax incentive is equal to or greater than the cost of hiring that employee - including all wages, training, and benefits - there is no company in the world that will hire without first having a need for increased capacity.

honestly you have some nerve calling others clueless on how businesses work.

As a successful business planner in the NYC metropiltan area, I must disagree with you.

It has been proven that a company that is pro-active will always acheive greater success than a company that is re-active.

What many non business minded people do not understand is that one of the strongest factors that increases employment as a recession approaches recovery, is the anticipation of the recovery. Smarter companies hire based on the "anticipation" of an increase in business...not on the increase in business itself.

IN a very compettive world industrial environment as we have today, if you beigin to hire AFTER the buiness is there, by the time your additional staff is up and running, you have already failed to meet the demand and not only likely lost the NEW business, but likely lost some old business as well as you spread your "already trained" staff too thin to perfomr to expectations.

:clap2: LOL You are absolutely clueless on how Business work those same 1000 widgets can also be made by 70 workers instead of 100 and with no incentive to hire more the business will save money in the process.

unless the tax incentive is equal to or greater than the cost of hiring that employee - including all wages, training, and benefits - there is no company in the world that will hire without first having a need for increased capacity.

As a successful business planner in the NYC metropiltan area, I must disagree with you.

It has been proven that a company that is pro-active will always acheive greater success than a company that is re-active.

What many non business minded people do not understand is that one of the strongest factors that increases employment as a recession approaches recovery, is the anticipation of the recovery. Smarter companies hire based on the "anticipation" of an increase in business...not on the increase in business itself.

IN a very compettive world industrial environment as we have today, if you beigin to hire AFTER the buiness is there, by the time your additional staff is up and running, you have already failed to meet the demand and not only likely lost the NEW business, but likely lost some old business as well as you spread your "already trained" staff too thin to perfomr to expectations.

i'm sorry, i should have made myself more clear. i do not disagree with you, that businesses must be in front of the curve if they want to succeed. to me that means that when they anticipate doing more business, they need more capacity. either way, until they need, or as you say anticipate that need, the worker they will not hire regardless of the tax breaks.

So what of corp pays no income taxes?

The people it employs pay taxes. The people who buy and sell its stock pay taxes. The people who get paid dividends on stock pay taxes. The companies they buy stuff from pay people who pay taxes.

The money generated by a corp. gets taxed because you want to tax it before it gets handed out and taxed again does not magically produce more government revenue all it does is make everyone pay a little less for the same net result.

Corporate tax is on net profits.
And if paying individuals dividends, salaries and wages reduce net profits to zero, no taxes will be paid by the corporation, but instead paid by those individuals. Ideally there would be zero taxation of corporations. Without the corporate taxes added to the product price the cost of the products would be lower for every purchaser of manufactured goods and the poorest would be the greatest beneficiaries. The effects in that case would be less regressive

Last edited:
Sadly this means that the rest aren't smart enough to hire quality tax attorneys and accountants to protect themselves from the avariciousness of the state.

Once I know who the offenders are, I will only purchase products from their smarter competitors.

i'm sorry, i should have made myself more clear. i do not disagree with you, that businesses must be in front of the curve if they want to succeed. to me that means that when they anticipate doing more business, they need more capacity. either way, until they need, or as you say anticipate that need, the worker they will not hire regardless of the tax breaks.

Absolutely true, and in retrospect, I see how I misread your post.

Corporations will take advantage of tax credits and tax breaks as it pertains to investing in community projects; openingt a plant in a deprived area, etc as that offers not only a tax savings, but good corporate PR as well.

For them to hire someone without the need or anticipated need would be foolish...tax break or not...as it will result in a decrease in work for all employees which, in time, will have a negative affect on work ethic.

Keeping an employee busy for the entire length of the day gives that employee a sense of better job security and thus a better work ethic and no doubt, higher company morale.

Corporations are becoming the FRENCH ARISTOCRATS of our age.

And much as with the French experience of 1789, when society allows the producers of wealth (the aristos owned most of the the means of production before the revolution) NOT to pay any taxes, and allow the entire cost of government to fall onto the backs of the peasants, that government is on the road to bankruptsy, and the society is setting itself up for a bloody revolution, too.

But that is, after all, exactly what the NEOCons want, too, so we ought not to expect any of their supporters will admit that that is the GOAL of these radical right wing corporate tools.

Last edited:
Many of the corporate firms that pay no taxes are created to put in place a corporate entity, but virtually all the income is shifted to individuals, hourly workers, salaried workers, and those who are paid dividends and earn capital gains from the stock.

But take a large company like General Electric, which paid no federal taxes in 2010; They will pay no taxes on income earned outside the US UNTIL those earnings are repatriated (brought back). Whenever that happens they will pay the corporate rate.
To avoid paying US corporate taxes, GE is better off to leave those funds in foreign economies where they've already been fully taxed, creating new jobs there instead of at home.

GE had losses in their financial sectors, and those losses are deductible against (2010) current earnings; a legitimate part of the tax law.

GE has benefitted from deductions for green energy, loopholes put in place by politicians to encourage investment and capital expenditures in those types of ventures thought to be desirable by them (the politicians).

Instead of making the corporate tax code more competitive by reducing rates across the board, Congress has responded to corporate complaints about this high tax burden by filling the code with loopholes and special carve-outs. The biggest corporations that can afford the best lawyers have figured out how to use the code to avoid paying taxes altogether.

GE paid virtually no taxes in 2010 entirely because of tax policies created by the same politicians who criticise them for tax avoidance, most prominent among them Obama and the Democrats who favor the creation of "green jobs."

Democrats favor tax loopholes because they allow them the ability to manipulate the businesses and then to criticise the same businesses for not paying taxes.

Last edited:
It's ok corporations are allowed to do anything they want. We should be grateful to eat the scraps that fall from their tables.

Right, our only choices are the polar choices of being grateful and eating the scraps that fall from their tables or bitch slapping and pillaging them. Oh, and why can Republicans only think in black and white, what's wrong with them?

That's the problem. You see corporations paying more than $0 in taxes as bitch slapping and pillaging"

So what of corp pays no income taxes?

The people it employs pay taxes. The people who buy and sell its stock pay taxes. The people who get paid dividends on stock pay taxes. The companies they buy stuff from pay people who pay taxes.

The money generated by a corp. gets taxed because you want to tax it before it gets handed out and taxed again does not magically produce more government revenue all it does is make everyone pay a little less for the same net result.

Corporate tax is on net profits.

You'll note the article does not mention profits.

Corpoprate tax is on net profits.

YAwn.

Sooner or later those profits get handed out or spent and then they are taxed.

If you tax them before they are handed out or spent then there is less to hand out or spend and therefore the tax revenue on those profits does not increase.

There is no upside to a corporation keeping large sums of it's profit locked up.

I don't know what you mean to "hand out" workers earn their wages and are not a hand out.

Salaries are NOT part of net profit.

If your assersions is more corporate profits mean higher pay for workers that is just not the case.

I asserted no such thing.

But our government shouldn't be trying to control profits but should have a fair tax system that makes corporations pay their fair share for the roads,police,fire,security ,water and other common resources corporations use.

Define fair share. And what about people who pay 0 federal income tax and use those same roads etc? What's their fair share?

ALL the money a corporation earns gets taxed because all of it eventually ends up in the hands of individuals.

Corporations do pay taxes. Payroll taxes.

Taxes on profit is paid if there is profit.

This article is another bunch of bullshit.

Actually Skull...you may not have asserted such a thing, but the truth is, higher profits DO usually mean higher salaries for the workers.

When a company begins to see an increase in their profit margin...a steady increase....more time and weight is applied to employee evaluations...and the reviews for the more productive employees usually result in generous pay increases.

Whereas some may see this as a reward for their work ethic, it is actually a little more self serving to the employer as he/she pays an increase to a talented employee in an effort to ensure dedication as the employer does not want to lose the employee to a competitor.

The left refuses to recognize this. If you show a strong work ethic and a sincere dedication to your responsibilities, that alone will result in two things...higher pay and better job security...

Thus why unions actually hurt the employee in the long run. Yoiu get no more than your co-worker, regardless of work ethic and dedication...and therefore the work ethic of all trend to the lowest acceptable work ethic.

Corpoprate tax is on net profits.

YAwn.

Sooner or later those profits get handed out or spent and then they are taxed.

If you tax them before they are handed out or spent then there is less to hand out or spend and therefore the tax revenue on those profits does not increase.

There is no upside to a corporation keeping large sums of it's profit locked up.

I don't know what you mean to "hand out" workers earn their wages and are not a hand out. If your assersions is more corporate profits mean higher pay for workers that is just not the case. But our government shouldn't be trying to control profits but should have a fair tax system that makes corporations pay their fair share for the roads,police,fire,security ,water and other common resources corporations use.

None of those five things you mentioned are paid for through corporate income taxes; all are paid for through local county and state taxes, and corporations are ALWAYS taxed locally if not federally. Road maintenance is also paid for by targetted taxes based on use formulas, and cannot be avoided in the way you alluded to in your OP. If there was a fuller understanding of how our federal system works, there would be less unfounded complaints. Educate yourself.

Last edited:
Hey Lefties? How come NONE of you responded to American Horse? Here the Horse lays out facts and reasons for why corporations are not ACTUALLY paying the outrageous corp rate..

GE has benefitted from deductions for green energy, loopholes put in place by politicians to encourage investment and capital expenditures in those types of ventures thought to be desirable by them (the politicians).

SNIPP...

GE paid virtually no taxes in 2010 entirely because of tax policies created by the same politicians who criticise them for tax avoidance, most prominent among them Obama and the Democrats who favor the creation of "green jobs."

Hard for you to recognize your OWN ROLE in cutting them those benefits? Were you aware that GE (and any others) currently get $75 per dishwasher and $150 for washing machines as TAX BREAKS simply because they meet Energy Star? Tax rebates for crap that they'd be making anyway!!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/172813-ge-acheives-leftist-sainthood.html#post3791611

Nobody on the left is interested in the how or why this problem - American Horse. Do ALL of you lefties ENDORSE those so-called "earth-saving" GREEN tax credits? Got an opinion? Or do you just want to continue on feelings and demagoguery? It's like debating with parrots.

Why are the Republicans on this board constantly defending big corporations? What is it they think they are getting?

Why are the Republicans on this board constantly defending big corporations? What is it they think they are getting?

Not surprised that you're surprised. Because they are not YOUR milkcow. You want to muzzle them and villify them and bind them up in regulation, you think they are yours to plunder. Maybe because I've seen what happens just prior genocides. Where the victims are isolated, muzzled and bound up before the "solution" is exacted.

It should inform your leftist comrades that there is that much DEEP support for the defenseless rich and corporations. And we're not all bribed and mindless dummies..

The REAL reason (for myself) is that I'm preserving choice. I want job expansion, market expansion, and innovation. The leftists want power and control and believe that all that stuff happens better when they DICTATE it.. And THEY ABHOR expansions of the economy and abundance of economic choices. RDean --- still scratching his head..

New Topics

Forum List

Back