Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Soccer

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
Abbey Normal said:
Inspired by another thread:

Which major sport has the most **athletic participants?

**By athletic I mean a combination of strength, speed and agility
Triathalon participants.

Abbey Normal said:
Very athletic peoples. Can you also pick a major sport, Kath?

If I have to pick ONE, guess would go with long distance swimming.

Abbey Normal said:
Inspired by another thread:

Which major sport has the most **athletic participants?

**By athletic I mean a combination of strength, speed and agility
I would rank as follows:

Strength:
NFL
NBA
MLB
NHL

Speed:
NBA
NFL
NHL
MLB

Agility:
NBA
NHL and NFL tie
MLB

Overall athleticism across the entire sport as an average?

NBA
NHL/NFL tie
MLB

I voted for basketball.
When a friend's nephew was wanting to play the doctor wouldn't allow it saying that the sport was too grueling; the constant running; yet he was permitted to play football. The boy suffered from asthma.

i believe that gymnastics (floor routine) and figure skating could be tied IMO. Both require all 3, plus balance and gracefulness. I doubt the best basketball player in the world couldn't do even 1/4 the stuff the people in those two sports do, and actually be graceful. i am speaking from my experience in both sports (gymnastics more than skating tho), which i was in until about 12-13yo.

Definitely swimming with a nod to water polo, as well.

Wrestling is also requires high levels of athleticism, but I just never really got in to the whole singlet and grabbing other guys.....

Fmr jarhead said:

Wrestling is also requires high levels of athleticism, but I just never really got in to the whole singlet and grabbing other guys.....
Water Polo. Good call. Cramps anyone?

Fmr jarhead said:

Where the hell ya been, Marine!????

Did football,track and baseball in school...tried swimming..even though I was a surfer I had to drop out...this sport beats the hell outta the body! :eek:

Hockey by far. You go as fast as you can for about 10-20, 2 minute spurts while your body is supported by 2 cm thick blades and while trying to out muscle another guy about the same size as or usually bigger then you for a 6" disc, all while carrying 30lbs of pads and a stick.

insein said:
Hockey by far. You go as fast as you can for about 10-20, 2 minute spurts while your body is supported by 2 cm thick blades and while trying to out muscle another guy about the same size as or usually bigger then you for a 6" disc, all while carrying 30lbs of pads and a stick.

since hockey is played on frozen water it is akin to swimming and boxing at the same time...seems to be more fighting than playing or swimming though! :cool:

archangel said:
Did football,track and baseball in school...tried swimming..even though I was a surfer I had to drop out...this sport beats the hell outta the body! :eek:
How long did you swim for? There's definitely a hump you need to get over and then it becomes much easier. It's good because it's so low-impact on your joints.

Forum List

Back