Most annoying rumors about your religion

What are the most annoying rumors you hear time and time again about your religion?

I'm an atheist and for me it would be that atheism is a religion or requires faith.

"religion-a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Atheism makes no claims as to how life, the universe or anything got started. You can be an atheist and not believe in evolution or the big bang. Heck your answer could easily be 'I don't know, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a God involved'.

That anything anyone who claims to be Christian actually represents all Christians.

I think that's a common complaint in any belief system, but happens to Christians all the time.

Unlike a different belief system where those who actually follow what their holy books say...somehow they don't represent Islam.

oooops, did I say Islam?

oooops, did i say asshole?

I had no idea you were so hostile to Muslims.

All the Muslims I know offline are very nice, del, you really should get to know people.

Christ said people should be born again as Christians? I think not. Jesus was a good little Jewish boy. You've been listening to the hangers-on and the profiteers.

Really? Christ never said, "You must be born again"? Which Bible are YOU reading, Billy Graham?

John 3:

1There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

2The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. (emphasis mine)

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

And don't try to give me any of your word-parsing crap about "But He didn't say the word 'Christian'!" I'm very, very tired of your self-righteous false prophet routine. No true follower of Christ would try to pretend that being born again isn't integral to being a Christian.

all heresay evidence.

The books making up the new testament were not started until after Jesus was dead.
Christianity is Paul's religion.

"Christian" by definition means "little Christ"

Paul cannot own it. He devoted his life to sharing it, but he is not the essence of Christianity, Christ is.

Most annoying rumors about your religion?

1) That you think you have a pipeline to God.

2) That I give a shit about your pipeline to God.

Most annoying rumors about your religion?

1) That you think you have a pipeline to God.

2) That I give a shit about your pipeline to God.

Great! Step aside from my pipeline :eusa_angel:

classics.jpg

Really? Christ never said, "You must be born again"? Which Bible are YOU reading, Billy Graham?

John 3:

2The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. (emphasis mine)

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

And don't try to give me any of your word-parsing crap about "But He didn't say the word 'Christian'!" I'm very, very tired of your self-righteous false prophet routine. No true follower of Christ would try to pretend that being born again isn't integral to being a Christian.

all heresay evidence.

The books making up the new testament were not started until after Jesus was dead.

Paul cannot own it. He devoted his life to sharing it, but he is not the essence of Christianity, Christ is.

Sharing or inventing?

all heresay evidence.

Sharing or inventing?

:eusa_angel:

I am 100% certain that HE IS.

If you're still speculating (long pause) I hope you find whatever you're looking for

Sharing or inventing?

:eusa_angel:

I am 100% certain that HE IS.

If you're still speculating (long pause) I hope you find whatever you're looking for

I am looking for nothing.
Nothing is what we all find at the end.

John 3:

all heresay evidence.

Well, I agree that Paul did not decide what Christianity should and must be as that has never been defined by any mortal. The Church remains widely divided in the minutiae of the details, both in what it means to be a Christian and the proper role and rituals for those who call themselves Christian or even what being 'saved' or 'born again' means. Paul and Peter, for instance, certainly had their differences. And by early in the Second Century, schisms were already developing in the Church because of differences in belief that could not be resolved. During the Reformation period, many of the first 'Reformers' didn't even consider each other to be Christians.

I don't think Christian means 'little Christ' any more than Rotarian means little Rotary or authoritarian means little authority. Nor is it a term that Christians selected for themselves. It was originally coined by Pharisaic Jews and Romans as a perjorative for those who embraced the teachings and doctrines and claimed salvation through Jesus Christ.

Once Paul met Christ and abandoned his intense campaign to exterminate all Christians, Paul devoted his life to teach the gospel to as many as he was able to reach. He is an amazing example of what accepting Christ can do for a person. We have no conclusive record, but tradition says he eventually was executed for his beliefs. But despite all the efforts of the anti-religious or anti-Christians to extinguish it, despite all the many persecutions over the centuries, despite all the human disagreement, squabbling, contention, and downright ugliness over various points of doctrine, and despite the corruption and false doctrines that have infiltrated it, the Church survives and exists strangely united under the person of Jesus Christ.

And despite all the harm that has been done in the name of the Church, much more good has been done, and the world is a far better place for it.

all heresay evidence.

Well, I agree that Paul did not decide what Christianity should and must be as that has never been defined by any mortal. The Church remains widely divided in the minutiae of the details, both in what it means to be a Christian and the proper role and rituals for those who call themselves Christian or even what being 'saved' or 'born again' means. Paul and Peter, for instance, certainly had their differences. And by early in the Second Century, schisms were already developing in the Church because of differences in belief that could not be resolved. During the Reformation period, many of the first 'Reformers' didn't even consider each other to be Christians.

I don't think Christian means 'little Christ' any more than Rotarian means little Rotary or authoritarian means little authority. Nor is it a term that Christians selected for themselves. It was originally coined by Pharisaic Jews and Romans as a perjorative for those who embraced the teachings and doctrines and claimed salvation through Jesus Christ.

Once Paul met Christ and abandoned his intense campaign to exterminate all Christians, Paul devoted his life to teach the gospel to as many as he was able to reach. He is an amazing example of what accepting Christ can do for a person. We have no conclusive record, but tradition says he eventually was executed for his beliefs. But despite all the efforts of the anti-religious or anti-Christians to extinguish it, despite all the many persecutions over the centuries, despite all the human disagreement, squabbling, contention, and downright ugliness over various points of doctrine, and despite the corruption and false doctrines that have infiltrated it, the Church survives and exists strangely united under the person of Jesus Christ.

And despite all the harm that has been done in the name of the Church, much more good has been done, and the world is a far better place for it.

Χριστιανός
Christianos
khris-tee-an-os'
From G5547; a Christian, that is, follower of Christ: - Christian.

How do you know if Christians called themselves Christian first or were called Chrstians by Pharisees and Romans? I've never heard any claim on that.

I do see

So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

and

16 Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter.

Χριστιανός
Christianos
khris-tee-an-os'
From G5547; a Christian, that is, follower of Christ: - Christian.

How do you know if Christians called themselves Christian first or were called Chrstians by Pharisees and Romans? I've never heard any claim on that.

I do see

So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

and

16 Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter.

The term Christian is pretty scarce in the New Testament, and you'll note that the reference at Antioch says they were called that and not that they called themselves that. Paul, the earliest of New Testament writers, did not refer to himself by that term. I first learned this stuff in an in depth seminary course, but you do have to be something of a Bible geek to get this technical.

The first authoritative source I found on the internet about this is here:

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
16. a Christian-the name given in contempt first at Antioch. Ac 11:26; 26:28 (and I Peter); the only three places where the term occurs. At first believers had no distinctive name, but were called among themselves "brethren," Ac 6:3; "disciples," Ac 6:1; "those of the way," Ac 9:2; "saints," Ro 1:7; by the Jews (who denied that Jesus was the Christ, and so would never originate the name Christian), in contempt, "Nazarenes." At Antioch, where first idolatrous Gentiles (Cornelius, Ac 10:1, 2, was not an idolater, but a proselyte) were converted, and wide missionary work began, they could be no longer looked on as a Jewish sect, and so the Gentiles designated them by the new name "Christians." The rise of the new name marked a new epoch in the Church's life, a new stage of its development, namely, its missions to the Gentiles. The idle and witty people of Antioch, we know from heathen writers, were famous for inventing nicknames. The date of this Epistle must have been when this had become the generally recognized designation among Gentiles (it is never applied by Christians to each other, as it was in after ages-an undesigned proof that the New Testament was composed when it professes), and when the name exposed one to reproach and suffering, though not seemingly as yet to systematic persecution.
1 Peter 4 Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary

Last edited:
The most annoying rumor as an atheist is the "There are no atheists in foxholes" myth

The idea that atheists will somehow see the error in their ways and convert when faced with death

I believe it's more the idea that in times of danger and personal helplessness, people tend to reach out to something outside themselves. What is it Terry Pratchett says? It takes a certain kind of strongminded atheist to hit his thumb with a hammer and jump up and down with their his hand clasped under his other armpit and shout, "Oh, random fluctuations in the space time continuum!"

It amazes me how many people can see the sentence, "What's the most annoying rumor spread about your religion?" and somehow interpret it to mean, "What's the nastiest, rudest thing you'd like to say about other people's religions?"

The most annoying thing I hear about Christianity from others is the idea that they know more about how to practice a religion they don't espouse than the people who DO espouse it. It really is like having a man try to teach women how to menstruate and breastfeed.

The most annoying rumor as an atheist is the "There are no atheists in foxholes" myth

The idea that atheists will somehow see the error in their ways and convert when faced with death

I believe it's more the idea that in times of danger and personal helplessness, people tend to reach out to something outside themselves. What is it Terry Pratchett says? It takes a certain kind of strongminded atheist to hit his thumb with a hammer and jump up and down with their his hand clasped under his other armpit and shout, "Oh, random fluctuations in the space time continuum!"

I take it to mean something like "we really do believe in God we just don't need him at the moment so we're pretending we don't". Pretty insulting IMO.

That anything anyone who claims to be Christian actually represents all Christians.

I think that's a common complaint in any belief system, but happens to Christians all the time.

Unlike a different belief system where those who actually follow what their holy books say...somehow they don't represent Islam.

oooops, did I say Islam?

oooops, did i say asshole?

I had no idea you were so hostile to Muslims.

All the Muslims I know offline are very nice, del, you really should get to know people.

i'm sorry, that was a typo on my part. i meant to say: ooops, jent's an asshole.

soryy for any confusion.

I take it to mean something like "we really do believe in God we just don't need him at the moment so we're pretending we don't". Pretty insulting IMO.

Well, if you choose to take it as something insulting, I guess that's entirely your decision to make. Personally, I find other people offensive enough without LOOKING for things to have my panties in a ruffle about, but I understand that some people aren't happy unless they're pissed off.

Well, if you choose to take it as something insulting, I guess that's entirely your decision to make. Personally, I find other people offensive enough without LOOKING for things to have my panties in a ruffle about, but I understand that some people aren't happy unless they're pissed off.

Why would you reach out to something you don't believe in? Have you ever been in trouble and then yelled out for Poseidon to help you?

At the very least it's saying that if shit hit the fan we'd abandon our beliefs.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back