Most and Least Reliable Cars According to Consumer Reports

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
qel0vldkjlwzfeflj1mj.jpg

I know they’re economic but you couldn’t get me into one unless it’s an emergency. Even with all the airbags and restraints, I just don’t trust them in a collision.

Most reliable:

10. Mazda CX-5

9. Lexus NX

8. Honda Fit

7. Kia Sedona

6. Mazda6

5. Toyota Prius

4. Subaru Crosstrek

3. Toyota Prius Prime

2. Lincoln Continental

1. Toyota Prius C...Really?

Least Reliable:

10. Volkswagen Atlas

9. Cadillac CTS

8. Alfa Romeo Giulia

7. Kia Cadenza

6. Cadillac Escalade

5. Cadillac CT6

4. Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD

3. Tesla Model X

2. Buick Enclave

1. Jaguar F-Pace

What buyers should keep in mind when referencing these lists is exactly what aspects of the car did CR find troublesome; just because a car is deemed not as reliable as others doesn’t mean it’s going to leave you stranded on the highway.

Furthermore, cars like the Giulia and F-Pace are more often leased as new models instead of purchased for long term ownership. If you are the type of buyer who only drives cars within the warranty period then moves on to another model, these rankings may not hold as much weight.

To see the full details of each report visit Consumer Reports.

I'm surprised to see the CTS on the least reliable list. I have a couple of friends who drive them and they love them.

I have a 10 year old Silverado that has not had any unreasonable problems considering it's approaching 350k miles. I couldn't say about the new ones though.

I'm surprised to see the CTS on the least reliable list. I have a couple of friends who drive them and they love them.

I have a 10 year old Silverado that has not had any unreasonable problems considering it's approaching 350k miles. I couldn't say about the new ones though.

These lists are crazy. Perception has a lot to do with it. I remember Geo's and Toyotas having different ratings despite being the same car.....

I have the ATS. Now I'm a little worried. There's something wrong when a KIA ranks higher than a Cadillac!

I've had a '76 Chevy k20 for about 25 years now. It's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It has never left me stranded or refused to start in the morning. Best $500 I've ever spent.

What buyers should keep in mind is this is likely just more media bullshit.

"Unreasonable problems"? That insinuates that you've had problems, but not unreasonable problems.

Could you be more specific?

What 'reasonable' problems are you talking about?

Last edited:

"Unreasonable problems"? That insinuates that you've had problems, but not unreasonable problems.

Could you be more specific?

What 'reasonable' problems are you talking about?
350,000 miles dude. It's been to the moon and halfway back, that's like 12 or 13 times around the world, there are gonna be breakdowns occasionally. It still runs well, the transmission shifts right, the 4wheel drive does as well, but everything that wears out like brakes and front end parts have been replaced multiple times. Radiator and water pump, starter and battery, blower motor, all kinda small parts. It's just the way it goes when they get that many miles.

I buy older cars needing repair, fix them and drive them thus saving tens of thousands of dollars that suckers get taken for when buying a new vehicle...

(1). "I know a guy..." or "I had a truck..." is not a rebuttal. We are talking about ACTUAL DATA from thousands of owners, not the people in someone's own social circle.

(2) I know very few people for whom "reliability" is a major consideration in buying a car. Especially when you are talking about a new car that will be under a bumper-to-bumper warranty, probably for about as long as you own it. In fact, most people who buy (or lease) European "luxury" cars PLAN on dumping them as soon as the warranty runs out, so who cares about "reliability"? Very few.

(3) A "bad" car is one where a single-digit percentage of them experience a catastrophic failure (e.g. transmission failure) within a few years. But that means that even for bad cars 90% of them are fine, and most of these failures are fixed under warranty anyway.

(4) This sort of information is only important to people who buy very "used" cars, with 75k or more miles on them at the time of purchase. That's when you have to start focusing on Honda's and Toyota's, and stay the hell away from cars with the horrible reputations - unless you are not going to be using them as everyday drivers.

(5) But this sort of "reputation" thing can work to your advantage. If a car has a bad reputation, there is always the option to (a) get it checked out by a good mechanic, and if it checks out, (b) buy it on the cheap. A used Camry is worth twice as much as a Kia Optima, but if you are several thousand dollars to the good at the time of purchase, the occasional repair bill is tolerable. You are still probably better off.

(6) While "certified used" is considered a scam by some people, it allows people to take advantage of low resale values due to poor quality reputation, while still having a "factory" warranty for years after purchase. Consider Chrysler products today. They have a poor reputation for reliability, but if I can buy a 2-year-old Charger with all the equipment I want and a warranty for less than twenty grand, I'll take that over a Camry any day of the week.

(7) It may not be a good idea to ask a mechanic what are the worst cars to own; they only see the bad ones.

I have the ATS. Now I'm a little worried. There's something wrong when a KIA ranks higher than a Cadillac!
That something that is wrong is just more America bashing by liberal scum.

Forum List

Back