Most Americans say tax rich to balance budget: poll

Baggers.....you can take the-next-two-years OFF.

"After the ceremony, David Koch walked up to Rep. Frank Guinta (R-NH) — a freshman Republican Koch helped to elect using his front group, Americans for Prosperity — and asked him to confirm that he will be attending a party that Koch is hosting for Republicans."
got some proof of this, other than your partisan shitstained thinkprogress?

No. I am just going to say that people need to be aware of the second option: Cutting spending.

Considering half of you pretend that this option doesn't exist, i think it's safe to say that most people aren't informed about this.
It seems unlikely that we will get 100 billion in cut. In fact I suspect we won't get half of that. Of course as the economy continues to improve, revenues will rise but not enough. If you can't cut spending or get enough additional revenue from the economic expansion then the only option left is to increase taxes.

We all know we can't cut spending without impoverishing the people, and removing their liberty! What simpletons!
Clinton did it by cutting the military budget and that's what Obama could do were he not in the pocket of the Military Industrial Complex. That is where the action is.

Baggers.....you can take the-next-two-years OFF.

"After the ceremony, David Koch walked up to Rep. Frank Guinta (R-NH) — a freshman Republican Koch helped to elect using his front group, Americans for Prosperity — and asked him to confirm that he will be attending a party that Koch is hosting for Republicans."
got some proof of this, other than your partisan shitstained thinkprogress?
Funny, how things pan-out.....huh??

:rolleyes:

“You know, it’s easy to talk about these things in the abstract. It’s another thing when you start taking away people’s college loans and Pell Grants or cutting early education programs.”

No. I am just going to say that people need to be aware of the second option: Cutting spending.

Considering half of you pretend that this option doesn't exist, i think it's safe to say that most people aren't informed about this.

I have said cut or freeze or limit the growth of spending, whatever is needed, ACROSS THE BOARD, repeatedly.

And that means the establishment right doesn't get to take defense off the table, which, btw, is already happening with the new GOP Congress.

AND raise taxes, btw. The new tax cut bill was simply insane; it dug the hole we're already in a trillion dollars deeper.

Oh.. I am right there with you in support of raising taxes...

Particularly on the 50% that pay no income taxes.... have them taxed at the same rate that the 'evil rich' pay on their upper levels of income... and dollars to donuts, I bet ya that you would have more people calling for more massive cuts in government spending and cutbacks on the government footprint... funny that usually when you have a stake in the game, that you scrutinize more
A married couple with a $60,000 a year income with 4 kids pays no federal income taxes. Likewise a person with 10 million invested in tax free bonds with a yearly income of $400,000 pays no federal income taxes. Both should be taxes proportionately to their income.

Totally agree.

There aren't enough "evil rich" to tax. Hell. If they were taxed at 100% it still wouldn't make a dent in whats owed.

We also have 40-50 percent of the population that pays nothing in Fed taxes. Flat tax needed big time. Everyone should pay. Not just some.

You can't be serious, unless you're even more ignorant than you normally appear to be. Do you honestly think a plan to raise taxes on lower income Americans while keeping wealthier Americans' taxes where they are is politically feasible?

Seriously? Tell me how many in Congress support that.

In a time when our economy sucks and just keeps getting worse and worse tell me why would we tax the wealthy? Most of them our big business and our going to be the ones who help us make the jobs. You want to tax them now and make them pay out there asses.Thats just ignorant. Tell me do you mom and pop stores have enough jobs to help this unemployment rate? I think not..
No, tax increases do not lead to higher employment. It sounds good but it just isn't so. Look at the history of tax increases.

In 1944, Franklin Roosevelt raised marginal tax rates to an astoundingly high 94 percent and yet we still had almost full employment (1.2 percent unemployment), thanks to the war. Taxes fell after the war, but in 1951, Harry Truman raised taxes again (from 84 to 91 percent) and yet unemployment dropped by 50 percent. In fact, from 1947 to 1973, median family income rose 2.7 percent a year, even while the top marginal tax rate was never lower than 70 percent, twice the current rate.

Perhaps the best example of the utility of tax increases comes from recent history. In 1993, Bill Clinton defied every single Republican in the House of Representatives and raised marginal tax rates to almost 40 percent. Despite GOP predictions that businesses would go bankrupt and workers would be laid off, the U.S. enjoyed the longest peacetime economic expansion in history.

History of Tax Cuts for the Rich & Corporations

Did you read the entire facking link? Spending cuts were also proposed, but the number one option was taxing the rich.

Not necessary to read the same old class envy blather.
Confiscation of wealth disguised as a tax code does no one any good.
The only thing that comes out of increasing taxes on the producers is less production.
You lefties believe that our money really isn't. You think the government should have full control of all wealth in the hopes that Uncle Sam will give some of it to you.

I have said cut or freeze or limit the growth of spending, whatever is needed, ACROSS THE BOARD, repeatedly.

And that means the establishment right doesn't get to take defense off the table, which, btw, is already happening with the new GOP Congress.

AND raise taxes, btw. The new tax cut bill was simply insane; it dug the hole we're already in a trillion dollars deeper.

Oh.. I am right there with you in support of raising taxes...

Particularly on the 50% that pay no income taxes.... have them taxed at the same rate that the 'evil rich' pay on their upper levels of income... and dollars to donuts, I bet ya that you would have more people calling for more massive cuts in government spending and cutbacks on the government footprint... funny that usually when you have a stake in the game, that you scrutinize more
A married couple with a $60,000 a year income with 4 kids pays no federal income taxes. Likewise a person with 10 million invested in tax free bonds with a yearly income of $400,000 pays no federal income taxes. Both should be taxes proportionately to their income.

15% flat tax above the first $40k oughta do it.
15% of 400k is a lotta scratch.
BTW, tax cuts did not dig a hole. Overspending combined with the wanton and irresponsible printing of currency did that.

balance the budget? when have the republicans EVER balanced the budget? sure they can get a quick pop for thier rich buddies, but they royally screw everyone else over 2 years later.

End the drug war. Privatize social security. Secure the border. End the war. Bring home troops from oversees in bases where they haven't bee needed for decades. Scale back USAID to nothing but a disaster relief fund. End bank bailouts and corporate welfare.

I think the two in bold should be the FIRST actions taken. A major military scale backs and major cuts in spending for this useless drug war will save billions and will show that our nation is interested in saving the dollar and keeping our economy afloat, that alone will create a better business environment, and it will begin to get far easier to make the neccesary cuts to save our nation.

balance the budget? when have the republicans EVER balanced the budget? sure they can get a quick pop for thier rich buddies, but they royally screw everyone else over 2 years later.
Perhaps you should do a little research there rookie.
That fact is there are just as many if not more wealthy liberals as there are wealthy conservatives.
Check out your blue states..Where are they? Now, check where the highest concentrations of wealth are located.....See where were going here?

So as the O.P. states

Most Americans believe that taxing the rich will lessen the deficit.

but consider that most Americans also believe in the man in the sky

Considering the two statements, one can conclude that most Americans are idiots. And I do not heed the opinion of idiots.

So as the O.P. states

Considering the two statements, one can conclude that most Americans are idiots. And I do not heed the opinion of idiots.

Would you say the same thing if the poll said most Americans favor tax cuts?

So as the O.P. states

Why wouldn't I?

I unlike you am not a partisan hack.

So as the O.P. states

Why wouldn't I?

the refusal to tax millionaires isn't about fiscal responsibility. It's about a continuation of the lunacy that was 'let's starve government until we can drown it in a bathtub'.

you need fiscal responsibility. you also need income. bush cutting taxes during wartime was one of the stupidest things in history. the continuation of it is no less stupid, imo.

you can't tell me that a couple of percentage points on the richest americans as was the case when clinton was president, would even be a blip on their radar.

Why wouldn't I?

the refusal to tax millionaires isn't about fiscal responsibility. It's about a continuation of the lunacy that was 'let's starve government until we can drown it in a bathtub'.

you need fiscal responsibility. you also need income. bush cutting taxes during wartime was one of the stupidest things in history. the continuation of it is no less stupid, imo.

Talk about fiscal responsibility when every dime of waste is wrung from the government.

Confiscating more of the public's money to continue to fund the waste graft and corruption of government is lunacy.

So as the O.P. states

Why wouldn't I?

So why do you delusionally believe the government is out to get everybody to take their money and force things onto people? Isn't that what Repug partisan hacks believe?

Why wouldn't I?

So why do you delusionally believe the government is out to get everybody to take their money and force things onto people? Isn't that what Repug partisan hacks believe?

But the government actually does force behaviors on people.

Have you forgotten the fact that we will all be forced to buy insurance?

And does the government not take our money to fund its wasteful and corrupt spending?

Forum List

Back