Most Americans say tax rich to balance budget: poll

it'll take cutting spending, raising more tax revenues/raising taxes, and an EXCELLENT economy to get us out of this mess....and even then, it will still be a monumental hurdle.
Perhaps when the dollar has tanked and the economic depression becomes palatable, however not until then will these spendthrift psychopaths balance the budget.

When the end is near and disaster is knocking at the door Obama and his ilk the Libs will rise to the occasion and come up with the tried and true Lib blueprint that heals all Ills...they will spend their way out of trouble for that is the Liberal answer to what ails ye!:clap2:

So here's the real deal.. 50% of Americans pay zero income tax. Did you know that they have extended the unemployment compensation? Did you know that as of right now ten thousand baby boomers/day will be eligible for medicare and social security? and that this will last for the next 19 years? Somebody needs to get up off their sorry ass and go to work. We need you to pay taxes.. Tax the rich? They've all moved to the DR. they took they money with them too. now whatcha gonna do when your sugar tit runs dry? huh?

Most Americans say tax rich to balance budget: poll - Yahoo! News

Well Repugs, are you shitheads going to say that most Americans wealth envying commies now? :lol:

It's why we have a constitutional representative republic and not a mob rule democracy...

Most people would like others to give them something instead of paying for it themselves... you think that's not the case when asked a simplistic question about taxing your 'evil rich'?

You idiot motherfucker

Well Repugs, are you shitheads going to say that most Americans wealth envying commies now? :lol:

It doesn't surprise me, the easiest thing for people to do is have someone else pay for them. Taxing "the rich" alone isn't going to get us out of this mess, cutting spending is the only way.

Totally agree.

There aren't enough "evil rich" to tax. Hell. If they were taxed at 100% it still wouldn't make a dent in whats owed.

We also have 40-50 percent of the population that pays nothing in Fed taxes. Flat tax needed big time. Everyone should pay. Not just some.

They need to start cutting Fed programs. There are over 10,000 such programs. Start cutting.

I'm sure there is a lobbyist for every one of these programs. The minute this program is threatened then they will be throwing money left and right.

Let us hope the Clowns in Congress have finally caught a clue and tell the lobbyists to fuck off.

Ain't holding my breath.

according to a 60 Minutes/Vanity Fair poll
thats all you needed to read to know this poll is fucked up SOMEWHERE

i'd like to see the poll data and not just what was reported from it

Funny how polls the wingnuts don't like get responses like the one above, but a poll that showed, say, that most Americans didn't like the healthcare bill, well,

that was instant GOSPEL.

What is wrong with you people?

No. I am just going to say that people need to be aware of the second option: Cutting spending.

Considering half of you pretend that this option doesn't exist, i think it's safe to say that most people aren't informed about this.

I have said cut or freeze or limit the growth of spending, whatever is needed, ACROSS THE BOARD, repeatedly.

And that means the establishment right doesn't get to take defense off the table, which, btw, is already happening with the new GOP Congress.

AND raise taxes, btw. The new tax cut bill was simply insane; it dug the hole we're already in a trillion dollars deeper.

It doesn't surprise me, the easiest thing for people to do is have someone else pay for them. Taxing "the rich" alone isn't going to get us out of this mess, cutting spending is the only way.

Totally agree.

There aren't enough "evil rich" to tax. Hell. If they were taxed at 100% it still wouldn't make a dent in whats owed.

We also have 40-50 percent of the population that pays nothing in Fed taxes. Flat tax needed big time. Everyone should pay. Not just some.

You can't be serious, unless you're even more ignorant than you normally appear to be. Do you honestly think a plan to raise taxes on lower income Americans while keeping wealthier Americans' taxes where they are is politically feasible?

Seriously? Tell me how many in Congress support that.

No. I am just going to say that people need to be aware of the second option: Cutting spending.

Considering half of you pretend that this option doesn't exist, i think it's safe to say that most people aren't informed about this.

I have said cut or freeze or limit the growth of spending, whatever is needed, ACROSS THE BOARD, repeatedly.

And that means the establishment right doesn't get to take defense off the table, which, btw, is already happening with the new GOP Congress.

AND raise taxes, btw. The new tax cut bill was simply insane; it dug the hole we're already in a trillion dollars deeper.

Oh.. I am right there with you in support of raising taxes...

Particularly on the 50% that pay no income taxes.... have them taxed at the same rate that the 'evil rich' pay on their upper levels of income... and dollars to donuts, I bet ya that you would have more people calling for more massive cuts in government spending and cutbacks on the government footprint... funny that usually when you have a stake in the game, that you scrutinize more

Totally agree.

You can't be serious, unless you're even more ignorant than you normally appear to be. Do you honestly think a plan to raise taxes on lower income Americans while keeping wealthier Americans' taxes where they are is politically feasible?

Yep.. if you believe in a little thing called equal treatment by government.... and not just selective equal treatment when it benefits you and allowing unequal treatment when it benefits you

Particularly on the 50% that pay no income taxes.... have them taxed at the same rate that the 'evil rich' pay on their upper levels of income... and dollars to donuts, I bet ya that you would have more people calling for more massive cuts in government spending and cutbacks on the government footprint... funny that usually when you have a stake in the game, that you scrutinize more

Well, ironically, you can blame Bush and the Republicans for the fact that so few lower income Americans pay no federal income tax.

Totally agree.

In a time when our economy sucks and just keeps getting worse and worse tell me why would we tax the wealthy? Most of them our big business and our going to be the ones who help us make the jobs. You want to tax them now and make them pay out there asses.Thats just ignorant. Tell me do you mom and pop stores have enough jobs to help this unemployment rate? I think not..

Totally agree.

Yep.. if you believe in a little thing called equal treatment by government.... and not just selective equal treatment when it benefits you and allowing unequal treatment when it benefits you

Yep. According to the Constitution no one group is supposed to be treated any differently than another.

As for my "ignorant" posts there NY. Apparantly, according to you, your the smartest guy in the room. Anyone who doesn't follow your line of thinking is ignorant.

I'm happy to say that you can call me ignorant all day long. Knock yourself out.

That 40-50% pay nothing in Fed taxes yet they can file a tax return if they have kids and get money back from the Fed, i.e. the taxpayers. They have no skin in the game and could care less who pays what for taxes as long as they get their pay out come tax time.

Some of these people rake in thousands. Pretty good trick considering they didn't pay one dime in.

The Clowns that thought this one up outta be shot.

Last edited:
If the government would prove that they can take cutting spending seriously, then perhaps the people would trust them to wisely spend any sort of a tax increase. Otherwise, it's like handing a beggar money and knowing he's going to use it for drugs instead of a hot meal.

Say that's a pretty high horse you're riding there......

Neither one of those ideas is true. They rely on a cleverly selective reading of the facts. So does the 47 percent number.

Given that taxes are likely to be one of the big political issues of the next few years — and maybe the biggest one — it’s worth understanding who really pays what in taxes. Once you do, you can get a sense for our country’s fiscal options. How, in other words, will we be able to close the huge looming gap between the taxes we are scheduled to pay and the services we are scheduled to receive?

The answer is that tax rates almost certainly have to rise more on the affluent than on other groups. Over the last 30 years, rates have fallen more for the wealthy, and especially the very wealthy, than for any other group. At the same time, their incomes have soared, and the incomes of most workers have grown only moderately faster than inflation.

So a much greater share of income is now concentrated at the top of distribution, while each dollar there is taxed less than it once was. It’s true that raising taxes on the rich alone can’t come close to solving the long-term budget problem. The deficit is simply too big. But if taxes are not increased for the wealthy, the country will be left with two options.

It will have to raise taxes even more than it otherwise would on everybody else. Or it will have to find deep cuts in Medicare, Social Security, military spending and the other large (generally popular) federal programs.

All the attention being showered on “47 percent” is ultimately a distraction from that reality.

The 47 percent number is not wrong. The stimulus programs of the last two years — the first one signed by President George W. Bush, the second and larger one by President Obama — have increased the number of households that receive enough of a tax credit to wipe out their federal income tax liability.

But the modifiers here — federal and income — are important. Income taxes aren’t the only kind of federal taxes that people pay. There are also payroll taxes and investment taxes, among others. And, of course, people pay state and local taxes, too.

Even if the discussion is restricted to federal taxes (for which the statistics are better), a vast majority of households end up paying federal taxes. Congressional Budget Office data suggests that, at most, about 10 percent of all households pay no net federal taxes. The number 10 is obviously a lot smaller than 47.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/business/economy/14leonhardt.html

Yep. According to the Constitution no one group is supposed to be treated any differently than another.

As for my "ignorant" posts there NY. Apparantly, according to you, your the smartest guy in the room. Anyone who doesn't follow your line of thinking is ignorant.

I'm happy to say that you can call me ignorant all day long. Knock yourself out.

That 40-50% pay nothing in Fed taxes yet they can file a tax return if they have kids and get money back from the Fed, i.e. the taxpayers. They have no skin in the game and could care less who pays what for taxes as long as they get their pay out come tax time.

Some of these people rake in thousands. Pretty good trick considering they didn't pay one dime in.

The Clowns that thought this one up outta be shot.

The Clown as you say who signed the Earned Income Credit into law was the unelected president Gerald Ford.

Earned Income Credit: From The Encyclopedia of Taxation and Tax Policy

The earned income credit was originally enacted in 1975, and over the years it has grown to be one of the principal antipoverty programs in the federal budget......

Analysis

The earned income tax credit is an income transfer program that provides significant financial assistance to low-income workers, especially those with children. Unlike increasing the minimum wage, the expansion of the earned income credit over the past two decades has provided benefits targeted to help the working poor. Also, unlike most other welfare programs or a negative income tax, the earned income tax credit provides significant work incentives to low-income workers (Forman 1988: 67-77). Indeed, as currently structured, the earned income tax credit is one of the federal government's largest and most effective antipoverty programs.

Unfortunately, the earned income tax credit is not without its problems..........

according to a 60 Minutes/Vanity Fair poll
thats all you needed to read to know this poll is fucked up SOMEWHERE

i'd like to see the poll data and not just what was reported from it

Funny how polls the wingnuts don't like get responses like the one above, but a poll that showed, say, that most Americans didn't like the healthcare bill, well,

that was instant GOSPEL.

What is wrong with you people?
i dont accept any poll i cant find the raw data to and know the group dynamics and the actual questions asked
if you do, then you are a fucking FOOL

Tax rates are not all they seem. Taxes are marginalized. This means that everyone pays the same for what that bracket covers. If i make $35000 in 2010 then my first $8375( after deductions) is taxed at 10%, from $8375 to $34000 is taxed at 15% and the last $1000 is taxed at 18%. Using this example if you figure 3 incomes: $30000( 15% bracket), $100000( 28% bracket), $400000( 35% bracket the highest) Their effective tax rates are: 13% on $30k , 21% on $100k, 29% on $400k. The $30k earner pays 1% for every $2400 he earns, the $100k earner pays 1% for every $4750 he earns. The rich pay 1% for every $14000 they earn. Sounds like a fair tax system to me...

Why Should the rich pay more taxes? - Yahoo! Answers

Well, ironically, you can blame Bush and the Republicans for the fact that so few lower income Americans pay no federal income tax.

You think I am going to defend Bush's economic policies??

You fucking partisan hack....

Guess what.. .unlike you... it's not about party lines for me

Forum List

Back