Moscow Subway Blast

Comrade

Jan 9, 2004
Seattle, WA.
More suffering endured by the Russian people today.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=518&e=3&u=/ap/20040206/ap_on_re_eu/russia_explosion

How long will Russia knock heads with the US over UN security council meetings, before they dump France and work with us instead of parellel to us?

We could learn from shared intelligence. Considering the same Islamists plan operations and deploy around the fringes of their border conflicts (Afganistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Palestine, Kosovo, Chechnya), perhaps the so far perfect record of the US since 9-11 could rub off on Russia?

While opposing the invasion of Iraq has meant nothing to the Islamists who blow away the common citizen on his way to work, our actions have brought on none of the retribution we were guaranteed by the despairing left.

Remember when the US clamored for a solution to the Chechnya crisis, and despite no end there is now complete silence? Yet why do the Russians persist in not quite opposing, but certainly not condoning US moves to address the same threats?

I've wondered why Russia hasn't co-operated with us more myself, us both wrestling with similar problems.

I do however realize a few things. The Russian people are stubborn and resentful of the fact that they are no longer a super power equal in stature to the U.S. Therefore they probably feel too much co-operation with us is actually acquiescence to U.S. leadership which implies our superiority over them. They don't want to follow our lead. It's not a rational response, but there is alot of truth to it.

They are also much closer geographically to the Middle East than us and perhaps fear aggeressive action in that region, if supported by them, will lead to increased attacks against their country, due simply to the convenience of proximity. This may be true, but turning a blind eye to a serious problem will never solve it.

Finally, Putin is an ex-KGB agent, and I'm sure he still fosters a deep mistrust for the West in general and the U.S. in particular.

A friend of mine sent me a Putin quote today:

"Russia does not negotiate with terrorists. Russia eliminates them."

Eventually, I believe the Russians will jump on board.

perhaps Russia is scared that france and germany will gang up and kick there butte..... actually I think that Russia is still feeling its way along and has not yet found where its place in the world of today is....

"perhaps Russia is scared that france and germany will gang up and kick there butte..... actually I think that Russia is still feeling its way along and has not yet found where its place in the world of today is...."

True, I've also noticed how muted Russia's voice has become compared to the glory days of the USSR.

I'm sure Comrade Zhukov would deal with another foolish invasion from the West quite handily, though. There's more worth in having a Russian ally than a French one, from a military standpoint alone.

Forum List

Back