Mo's how to make a quick and dirty leather holster or sheath

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I bought a cheap Yugo mil-surp 26.5 flare gun with a Kenesaw 410/45 LC insert to carry as a snake gun/flare gun and wanted a holster for it. Of course none are available commercially so I decided to make one. I watched some Youtube videos, which gave me the general idea, but I didn't want to buy a bunch of specialty tools for a one time project and I don't know how to sew. So I used a hand riveter, some shears, and a set of hand set snaps from walmart that included the setting tool. I did buy a rotary hole puncher from the hardware store for $10.

I bought the leather at Amazon from a third party seller. It was 4 mil thick and 12" x 24". Here is the link (don't know how long it will work) Amazon.com Scrap Lace Leather Dark Brown Cowhide 10 X 18 Piece L301. ($14 + $5 s/h)

I had some left over leather, so I made a leather sheath to replace a cheap nylon factory sheath that was falling apart.

IMAG0839_zps1bwsmdav.jpg

If you need a quick and dirty leather holster or sheath, here's a place to start:

This is a piece of the leather I used with a couple of pennies for scale:

IMAG0855_zps1o024knj.jpg
IMAG0854_zpswvrvh0rj.jpg

Here are the tools you'll need:

IMAG0840_zpsziffy5h3.jpg

1. Either a rotary hole puncher ($9.99) or an awl ($2.39)
  2. Hand riveter ($12). I've used this on many other projects like the boat restoration (before and after) and the Franken-tractor.
  3. Shears
  4. 1/8 inch aluminum rivets with a 1/16 to 1/8 grip range ($7.99 for 100 ct..I have 60 left over)
  5. 1/8 inch aluminum rivet backers ($2.69 for 30 ct...used them all on these 3 projects)
  6. Pen, pencil or sharpie
  7. Something to measure with
  8. Leather
The awl is extremely sharp, so I'm making a sheath for it out of scrap. Here it goes.

Fold the leather over the object. Get it nice and tight.

IMAG0841_zpskcuqyown.jpg

Use the hole punch or awl to make your rivet hole. Remember to leave room for the backer.

IMAG0842_zpshtk19zt0.jpg

Insert a rivet and put a backer on the back side. That's important...make SURE the rivet pin is sticking out to the front side of the holster or sheath. If you look back at the holster I made, you can see where I made a mistake right above the band that holds the belt loop...there is a backer on the front side (Oops!). Don't do that.

IMAG0843_zpswxvpyfra.jpg

IMAG0844_zpsslboaqxu.jpg

Use your riveter to secure the rivet.

8e1657cf-4586-4f71-86a4-50431eaf86b5_zpsowm3uerq.jpg

Repeat. You can measure and mark you holes if you want a neater result...I just wanted something that worked. Up to you.

IMAG0846_zpsbjon8ugd.jpg

Done riveting.

IMAG0847_zpsobrimcop.jpg

Now cut to shape. I cut this one close because it is going in a tool box, but on the holster and sheath I left a margin...again, up to you.

IMAG0848_zps6soigen4.jpg

IMAG0849_zpscgoxzemb.jpg

You can leave it there, or, with some 600 to 1500 grit sandpaper, you can blend and bevel the riveted edge.

IMAG0850_zpsaubnjxv3.jpg

All done!

IMAG0856_zpso9m0qhvw.jpg

IMAG0857_zpsnopkfhaj.jpg

Last edited:
Final thoughts:

I made the awl sheath around the rubber tube point protector that the awl originally came in (like this one). There is a Youtube video of "how to make a sheath out of pvc pipe" that would help make a nice insert into leather sheath like this.

Some glue might not be a bad idea.

There is probably a neater way to do this. if you come up with a faster, cheaper or neater idea, feel free to post it.

If you make one of these, please post it. If you aren't a member, sign up!

I'll post a few Youtube videos (none are mine BTW) of DIY holsters, sheaths and that pvc sheath as I find them.

Thanks for reading and enjoy.

Last edited:
Here's a video that gives a basic idea of how to make a fold over holster.

Open that video up in Youtube to see the other two videos. The guys channel is called "dnahoghunter".

The stitching tool he is using is called a "Speedy Stitcher Awl". I have one on order ($16) and I'll post here how easy, or not easy it is to use.

I made mine so the belt loop is all one piece, which IMO is easier. You can even cut the leather so the loop around the front is attached instead of affixed like mine.

IMAG0870.jpg IMAG0871.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a cheap Yugo mil-surp 26.5 flare gun with a Kenesaw 410/45 LC insert to carry as a snake gun/flare gun and wanted a holster for it. Of course none are available commercially so I decided to make one. I watched some Youtube videos, which gave me the general idea, but I didn't want to buy a bunch of specialty tools for a one time project and I don't know how to sew. So I used a hand riveter, some shears, and a set of hand set snaps from walmart that included the setting tool. I did buy a rotary hole puncher from the hardware store for $10.

I bought the leather at Amazon from a third party seller. It was 4 mil thick and 12" x 24". Here is the link (don't know how long it will work) Amazon.com Scrap Lace Leather Dark Brown Cowhide 10 X 18 Piece L301. ($14 + $5 s/h)

I had some left over leather, so I made a leather sheath to replace a cheap nylon factory sheath that was falling apart.

IMAG0839_zps1bwsmdav.jpg

If you need a quick and dirty leather holster or sheath, here's a place to start:

This is a piece of the leather I used with a couple of pennies for scale:

IMAG0855_zps1o024knj.jpg
IMAG0854_zpswvrvh0rj.jpg

Here are the tools you'll need:

IMAG0840_zpsziffy5h3.jpg

1. Either a rotary hole puncher ($9.99) or an awl ($2.39)
  2. Hand riveter ($12). I've used this on many other projects like the boat restoration (before and after) and the Franken-tractor.
  3. Shears
  4. 1/8 inch aluminum rivets with a 1/16 to 1/8 grip range ($7.99 for 100 ct..I have 60 left over)
  5. 1/8 inch aluminum rivet backers ($2.69 for 30 ct...used them all on these 3 projects)
  6. Pen, pencil or sharpie
  7. Something to measure with
  8. Leather
The awl is extremely sharp, so I'm making a sheath for it out of scrap. Here it goes.

Fold the leather over the object. Get it nice and tight.

IMAG0841_zpskcuqyown.jpg

Use the hole punch or awl to make your rivet hole. Remember to leave room for the backer.

IMAG0842_zpshtk19zt0.jpg

Insert a rivet and put a backer on the back side. That's important...make SURE the rivet pin is sticking out to the front side of the holster or sheath. If you look back at the holster I made, you can see where I made a mistake right above the band that holds the belt loop...there is a backer on the front side (Oops!). Don't do that.

IMAG0843_zpswxvpyfra.jpg

IMAG0844_zpsslboaqxu.jpg

Use your riveter to secure the rivet.

8e1657cf-4586-4f71-86a4-50431eaf86b5_zpsowm3uerq.jpg

Repeat. You can measure and mark you holes if you want a neater result...I just wanted something that worked. Up to you.

IMAG0846_zpsbjon8ugd.jpg

Done riveting.

IMAG0847_zpsobrimcop.jpg

Now cut to shape. I cut this one close because it is going in a tool box, but on the holster and sheath I left a margin...again, up to you.

IMAG0848_zps6soigen4.jpg

IMAG0849_zpscgoxzemb.jpg

You can leave it there, or, with some 600 to 1500 grit sandpaper, you can blend and bevel the riveted edge.

IMAG0850_zpsaubnjxv3.jpg

All done!

IMAG0856_zpso9m0qhvw.jpg

IMAG0857_zpsnopkfhaj.jpg

Not bad.
I did some custom work on a holster I bought with one of these.

They work great.

I didnt come in here to learn but just to say i love the thread title for some reason.

Not bad.
{youtube Speedy Stitcher}
They work great.

:thup: Mine came in yesterday. I had a precut kit to put together. Worked great. It made it super easy. Only stuck myself once :).

IMAG0882.jpg

IMAG0883.jpg

IMAG0884.jpg

Not bad.
{youtube Speedy Stitcher}
They work great.

:thup: Mine came in yesterday. I had a precut kit to put together. Worked great. It made it super easy. Only stuck myself once :).

View attachment 38241

View attachment 38242

View attachment 38243

Happy you found the same success with it as I did. Takes a little practice but you can turn out some nice stitches.
And yes I bled a little the first time I used mine.:ack-1:

PS. Sorry I didnt warn you about needing to pre punch the holes when doing leather.
While it's possible to do it without pre punching it's a little sloppy.

Happy you found the same success with it as I did. Takes a little practice but you can turn out some nice stitches.
And yes I bled a little the first time I used mine.:ack-1:

PS. Sorry I didnt warn you about needing to pre punch the holes when doing leather.
While it's possible to do it without pre punching it's a litlte sloppy.

LOL...no sweat, I watched a couple tutorials before I started that had quite a few warnings.

I'm really amazed at how fast it was.

I should really practice more. My stitching is terrible...but...it works. Needed another little project...a canteen strap for a one quart water bottle. I had some scrap leather and some old rusted D-rings, a Speedy Stitcher, punch and waxed thread, plus some nylon strapping and plastic adjusters from Wal-mart :

20160326_205134.jpg 20160326_211529.jpg 20160326_223648.jpg 20160326_233116.jpg 20160327_033755.jpg 20160327_042049.jpg

Forum List

Back