Morons have THREE DAYS to either be prepared for or escape from Florence

I don't want to hear a damn word about Trump. You fools have been warned nearly a week in advance.

Get the fuck in inland and leave your politics on the shore.

This was shitty; even for you.

A) not everyone is ambulatory; there are homebound folks in nearly every community. Are their caregivers supposed to abandon them?

B). not everyone has a vehicle and is able to leave.
B1). Not everyone has a place to go.

C). If you paid attention to Katrina, the FEMA/Official plan was to have a refuge of last resort shelter. It failed. The evacuation that was done under the banner of official guidance was almost as bad.

Advance warning means little. Ironically; you’re the one bringing up politics.
This is not supposed to be a shit eating democracy, It’s supposed to be a republic. It is not the governments job to provide a safety net for stupidity

Regardless we the USA will hear all about the horrid losses and all the money needed to rebuild. Think about that for a minute and question why rebuild in the track of yearly hurricanes?
Because there is no place safe from natural disasters.
Having said that there should be insurance to cover most of this shit. Live in a danger zone? Pay an additional risk premium. Just like health and auto insurance.
There is no reason someone in Montana should be forced to pay for someone to rebuild in Florida.
You take the risk you pay the premium to balance the risk.

They do.

Which is why you have to buy flood insurance separately.
Hurricane insurance is supplemental.

If you’re doing the yearly rant against FEMA…fuck off. They prove their worth yearly.
FEMA is a waste of money, it’s not the governments job to be a safety net

Regardless we the USA will hear all about the horrid losses and all the money needed to rebuild. Think about that for a minute and question why rebuild in the track of yearly hurricanes?
Because there is no place safe from natural disasters.
Having said that there should be insurance to cover most of this shit. Live in a danger zone? Pay an additional risk premium. Just like health and auto insurance.
There is no reason someone in Montana should be forced to pay for someone to rebuild in Florida.
You take the risk you pay the premium to balance the risk.

They do.

Which is why you have to buy flood insurance separately.
Hurricane insurance is supplemental.

If you’re doing the yearly rant against FEMA…fuck off. They prove their worth yearly.
FEMA is a waste of money, it’s not the governments job to be a safety net

And what is the government's job, fruitcake?

No, not yet. It's still summer.
Pumpkin beers have been in the stores for 3 weeks now.

All synthetic chemicals anyway. :puke:
No...but you are wrong on everything else, what's one more thing?

>> As food scientist Kantha Shelke explains, flavor companies have come up with a simplified recipe that includes just a few of the chemicals that occur naturally in pumpkin and cinnamon and cloves and nutmeg. A small selection of those flavor compounds is enough to make our brain think, "Ah, pumpkin pie!"

Instead of actual nutmeg, for instance, they use a compound called sabinene. Instead of cloves, they use eugenol.

According to Shelke, this simplified recipe actually does a better job of capturing the essence of pumpkin pie flavor than you'd probably achieve with the natural spices from your cupboard. What you'd get, in that case, would resemble India-style spiced tea, or chai.

That jug of "natural and artificial flavors" also is cheaper than the natural spices. Those flavor compounds are mainly manufactured using synthetic chemistry, rather than extracted from plants that grow in a field or plantation. They are copies of what's found in nature, but they're made in a factory. << -- Just What is In Pumpkin Spice Flavor? (Hint: Not Pumpkin)

Will there be anything else today?

I can't wait until "pumpkin spice" everything trend is over and we can laugh at it. Because I contend no one really loves the taste of pumpkin; they like the spices. And those spices belong in very few things, but we've all been conditioned to think when the weather turns cooler it's time for PUMPKIN SPICE!!!! YAY!!!

Caveat: those spices do smell good burning in your home via candle scent. That doesn't mean you eat them in everything though.

I regularly put cardamom in my coffee, preferably from seeds ground up with the beans, juuust enough to fly under the radar. And a ready assortment of nutmeg, cinnamon, star anise and a few others.that generally get used for snacky-type things.

Generally I don't like flavors infused into my coffee, and never into my beer, but the pumpkin chemicals are tolerable. In coffee anyway.

people in katrina from the 9th ward had no transportation....the mayor acted a fool and people died
There were hundreds of buses parked outside the sports complex and people refused to leave. They had over a week to pack their shit and the Governor shirked his responsibility as well as the Mayor.

Actually, the Governor was a she. But, I digress. The system was of poor design. All the pumping stations were not located at the entrance of lake Pontchartrain, they were further back allowing storm surge to enter the canals, thus collapsing the levees. They have been since been moved to not allow storm surge to enter the canals.

A similar digression: it's interesting how humans can live in places like New Orleans, much below sea level and sustained by levees and pumps. I understand you have families and jobs and lives there, and it's your home. It just seems to me that if you choose to live in a place that is sustained by levees and pumps, well--accept the risk.

I do... people choose to live all over the place that are prone to natural disasters.

Anywhere one lives has plusses and minuses, certain securities and certain risks. You balance them all. When I moved to New Orleans long ago, voluntarily, it won out over Boston and Atlanta. Those don't have the same hurricane risks but they do have (1) way too many people crammed into a small space and (2) way too much bigness, neither of which was true of New Orleans but BOTH of which one would have to deal with every day. Additionally while Boston and Atlanta (or anywhere) might have its own history and culture, none have anything like New Orleans, nor did they have aging relatives living in the area.

Atlanta has better streets but New Orleans is compact and manageable. Boston has more Celtic music but there's no place to park. Nobody anywhere chooses to move or not move somewhere on the basis of "what if some day natural disaster X happens". That's just not how the world works. I can recall multiple days of three feet of water in the streets after a particularly intense storm; it's just something you deal with and get on with life.

After Katrina I chose to take another opportunity to relocate elsewhere just because I was going to relocate anyway as was everybody else. Had that other opportunity not existed I presumably would have continued there. "You chose to live by levees" or "on an earthquake fault" or "in tornado alley" is just not a realistic assessment. It amounts to "you chose to throw your money away on lottery tickets knowing you might not win". You don't just cherrypick an event after the fact and then smugly go "you knew a meteor might land on your house".

why do you think nc coast wont head inland...to quote our governors...we know how to deal with this....the outer banks are getting out tourist have to leave first then everyone else...like any other natural disaster people are prepared for it....i dread what is going to happen to the outer banks....ocracoke may take a hit...and wilmington...the forecasters are gathering in wilmington and the coast...
Why didnt Louisianas residents go inland? And don't fail by saying BECAUSE BUSH.

Most of the damage there had to do with the breaking of levees and the resulting floods.
All of the deaths had to do with local political decisions or morons who wanted to RIDE IT OUT

The levees not being up to code and failing was not because of local political decisions.
Nagin or whatever the fuck his name was REFUSED to allow the use of city & school buses to evacuate the indigent and elderly. EVERY SINGLE DEATH is his fault.
Yes, agree. Those black lives matter. Or chocolate lives as former mayor and current inmate Ray would say.

>> 1. Route selection is very, very important. My friends (and their friends) basically looked at the map, found the shortest route to me (I-10 to Baton Rouge and Lafayette, then up I-49 to Alexandria), and followed it slavishly. This was a VERY bad idea, as something over half-a-million other folks had the same route in mind... Some of them took over twelve hours for what is usually a four-hour journey. If they'd used their heads, they would have seen (and heard, from radio reports) that going North up I-55 to Mississippi would have been much faster. There was less traffic on this route, and they could have turned left and hit Natchez, MS, and then cut across LA on Route 84. <<​

I've never ever understood why New Orleanians always head for Baton Rouge. All you're doing is going west. I tried to do what the above paragraph describes but it was impossible to get TO I-55 because the State Police were out there shunting everybody to Baton Rouge, hence the average speed of three miles an hour when you were moving at all.

This of course is part of the reason one has to start moving well ahead of the landfall, before the outer effects of the storm are felt, which pushes this mythological "week people had" --- only in the comic books --- back to at the latest August 21st, three days before Katrina was even BORN.

people in katrina from the 9th ward had no transportation....the mayor acted a fool and people died
There were hundreds of buses parked outside the sports complex and people refused to leave. They had over a week to pack their shit and the Governor shirked his responsibility as well as the Mayor.

Actually, the Governor was a she. But, I digress. The system was of poor design. All the pumping stations were not located at the entrance of lake Pontchartrain, they were further back allowing storm surge to enter the canals, thus collapsing the levees. They have been since been moved to not allow storm surge to enter the canals.

A similar digression: it's interesting how humans can live in places like New Orleans, much below sea level and sustained by levees and pumps. I understand you have families and jobs and lives there, and it's your home. It just seems to me that if you choose to live in a place that is sustained by levees and pumps, well--accept the risk.

I do... people choose to live all over the place that are prone to natural disasters.

Anywhere one lives has plusses and minuses, certain securities and certain risks. You balance them all. When I moved to New Orleans long ago, voluntarily, it won out over Boston and Atlanta. Those don't have the same hurricane risks but they do have (1) way too many people crammed into a small space and (2) way too much bigness, neither of which was true of New Orleans but BOTH of which one would have to deal with every day. Additionally while Boston and Atlanta (or anywhere) might have its own history and culture, none have anything like New Orleans, nor did they have aging relatives living in the area.

Atlanta has better streets but New Orleans is compact and manageable. Boston has more Celtic music but there's no place to park. Nobody anywhere chooses to move or not move somewhere on the basis of "what if some day natural disaster X happens". That's just not how the world works. I can recall multiple days of three feet of water in the streets after a particularly intense storm; it's just something you deal with and get on with life.

After Katrina I chose to take another opportunity to relocate elsewhere just because I was going to relocate anyway as was everybody else. Had that other opportunity not existed I presumably would have continued there. "You chose to live by levees" or "on an earthquake fault" or "in tornado alley" is just not a realistic assessment. It amounts to "you chose to throw your money away on lottery tickets knowing you might not win". You don't just cherrypick an event after the fact and then smugly go "you knew a meteor might land on your house".

Precisely. Which makes the OP and his incessant whining even more brazenly stupid than normal.

Why didnt Louisianas residents go inland? And don't fail by saying BECAUSE BUSH.

Most of the damage there had to do with the breaking of levees and the resulting floods.
All of the deaths had to do with local political decisions or morons who wanted to RIDE IT OUT

The levees not being up to code and failing was not because of local political decisions.
Nagin or whatever the fuck his name was REFUSED to allow the use of city & school buses to evacuate the indigent and elderly. EVERY SINGLE DEATH is his fault.
Yes, agree. Those black lives matter. Or chocolate lives as former mayor and current inmate Ray would say.
Race.

why do you think nc coast wont head inland...to quote our governors...we know how to deal with this....the outer banks are getting out tourist have to leave first then everyone else...like any other natural disaster people are prepared for it....i dread what is going to happen to the outer banks....ocracoke may take a hit...and wilmington...the forecasters are gathering in wilmington and the coast...

Oh really. He "refused" did he.

--------------------------- Link?

DUMBASS.

>> 1. Route selection is very, very important. My friends (and their friends) basically looked at the map, found the shortest route to me (I-10 to Baton Rouge and Lafayette, then up I-49 to Alexandria), and followed it slavishly. This was a VERY bad idea, as something over half-a-million other folks had the same route in mind... Some of them took over twelve hours for what is usually a four-hour journey. If they'd used their heads, they would have seen (and heard, from radio reports) that going North up I-55 to Mississippi would have been much faster. There was less traffic on this route, and they could have turned left and hit Natchez, MS, and then cut across LA on Route 84. <<​

I've never ever understood why New Orleanians always head for Baton Rouge. All you're doing is going west. I tried to do what the above paragraph describes but it was impossible to get TO I-55 because the State Police were out there shunting everybody to Baton Rouge, hence the average speed of three miles an hour when you were moving at all.

This of course is part of the reason one has to start moving well ahead of the landfall, before the outer effects of the storm are felt, which pushes this mythological "week people had" --- only in the comic books --- back to at the latest August 21st, three days before Katrina was even BORN.

Its a pipe dream I know but at one time they were talking in Houston about ‘vertical evacuation’ meaning that we would take a few of the empty high-rises in Houston and use them for temporary shelters in lieu of trying to get 4 million people through the freeway system. Every 2-3 people you shelter takes 1-2 cars off the roads. They had this old Days Inn that was downtown during the early auts; I think it’s still there and it could have been used for this kind of purpose. I’m thinking Houston will have to have a Katrina type disaster before they get serious about doing something about flood mitigation.

Its a pipe dream I know but at one time they were talking in Houston about ‘vertical evacuation’ meaning that we would take a few of the empty high-rises in Houston and use them for temporary shelters in lieu of trying to get 4 million people through the freeway system. Every 2-3 people you shelter takes 1-2 cars off the roads. They had this old Days Inn that was downtown during the early auts; I think it’s still there and it could have been used for this kind of purpose. I’m thinking Houston will have to have a Katrina type disaster before they get serious about doing something about flood mitigation.
People don't realize just how many cars will be on those freeways if you get an evacuation going on....even if only 50%....it's a parking lot.

Putting your idiocy in all-caps only draws more attention to it.

I don't want to hear a damn word about Trump. You fools have been warned nearly a week in advance.

Get the fuck in inland and leave your politics on the shore.
Good strategy. A pre-emptive dismissal of Trump leaving American citizens to suffer and die. Most of it will be Trump country, so maybe this time I’ll be the one joking about the deaths and suffering instead of conservatives.
Your safety from the weather is not the presidents problem. Anyone who dies that isn't a comatose patient brought it on themselves.
I think you can be assured that some in the DNCMSM will criticize Trump, no matter what happens with Florence. It is the playbook.
And it is ridiculous. Local issues, including evacuations and safety are 100% the responsibility of local and state authorities. Federal assistance requires a FORMAL REQUEST

And that FORMAL REQUEST --- which is paperwork that does not require ALL CAPS --- was duly made, and promptly answered.

---- And? What the fuck is your point here?

Good strategy. A pre-emptive dismissal of Trump leaving American citizens to suffer and die. Most of it will be Trump country, so maybe this time I’ll be the one joking about the deaths and suffering instead of conservatives.

The Fedeeal Government ha no legitimate power to become involved in storm cleanup. I’ve been saying that since before Katrina.

People don't realize just how many cars will be on those freeways if you get an evacuation going on....even if only 50%....it's a parking lot.

And in New Orleans with a storm coming from the southeast there are two roads out --- the north one that involves a two-lane bridge 24 miles long, and a west one, which is where that mass of traffic went. Even contraflow (all lanes going west) didn't help with that. All you could do was crawl all the way to Baton Rouge (which is 80 miles).

If the ridiculous comic-book fantasy peddled by the clueless shitpeddlers from Kansas City and Texas were realistic, where the city just said "fuck it" and didn't bother to evacuate, that highway would have been an easy cruise with no state police contraflowing it. Again, they want to have it both ways to protect their own abject pig-ignorance.

Well, a lot of folks who the vertical evacuation would help don’t have cars to start with but some do so it would help. Additionally, the moronic assumption that as long as you have a car, you can get out is faulty because you will have to know where to go for one thing, have the money to pay for the hotel or housing when you get there, you’re eating out every meal so there is that added expense as well as gasoline (if it’s available). Abandoned cars on the roadways become a real problem in terms of stopping traffic.

I also wish there would be a concerted effort to use rail for evacuation as a way to lessen the stress on the roadways.

And in New Orleans with a storm coming from the southeast there are two roads out --- the north one that involves a two-lane bridge 24 miles long, and a west one, which is where that mass of traffic went. Even contraflow (all lanes going west) didn't help with that. All you could do was crawl all the way to Baton Rouge (which is 80 miles).

Some of that is on the spillway bridge too if memory serves (maybe its on the west side???). What is it; 10 miles of no exits; prime spot for traffic nightmares.

Harvey hit Houston pretty hard (alliteration unintentional) --- yet somehow I never see armchair wags from Kansas City spewing bullshit about how "they refused to run buses" or "they wouldn't leave" or "they had a year to evacuate" or whatever bullshit runs in those comic books they pull out of their collective ass.

Forum List

Back