Morning After pill

P

ProudDem

I am curious if anyone who opposes abortion, supports the morning after pill. Or do people consider them one in the same?

For those that oppose both, do you believe that one is the lesser of the two evils, or equal?

Part of me supports it, but then part of me doesn't. The part that supports it is I believe it would reduce the number of abortions that are being done as a means for birth control. I am sure many of you think that life begins at conception, but the thought of eliminating a bunch of cells versus a fetus that takes the shape of a person seems more tolerable.

But part of me doesn't support it because I worry that some women would use it as a means of birth control, which I do not support.

I support abortion in cases of rape, incest, when the mother's life is in danger, or when the baby has a severe disability.

ProudDem said:
I am curious if anyone who opposes abortion, supports the morning after pill. Or do people consider them one in the same?

I support abortion in cases of rape, incest, when the mother's life is in danger, or when the baby has a severe disability.

IMO the morning after pill is a good alternative for someone who has been the victim of rape or incest.

Trigg said:
IMO the morning after pill is a good alternative for someone who has been the victim of rape or incest.

I totally agree. Would you feel comfortable answering the other questions I asked in my initial thread? If so, great. If not, that's okay too.

I'm still not convinced Abortion is appropriate even in rape or incest.

Life of the mother? yeah...Choose the Mother. But otherwise, I can't yet justify killing a baby as a way to 'solve' anything.

dmp said:
I'm still not convinced Abortion is appropriate even in rape or incest.

Life of the mother? yeah...Choose the Mother. But otherwise, I can't yet justify killing a baby as a way to 'solve' anything.

I would agree, however, "Life of the Mother" is never an issue anymore - with today's medical advances, Doctors never have to choose between saving hte baby or the mother....

Mr. P said:
Oh boy, last time this went 5 pages..It always goes to this :bangheads ..Other than that, no comment. :)

But, Mr. P, did someone ask the brilliant questions I did? ;)

ProudDem said:
I oppose most abortion, but would support a morning after pill provided it were reliably safe (better than 99.99%) for the woman, required a medical-O.K. from a trained physician, and used within the first trimester, preferably within the first 2 months.

Zhukov said:
I oppose most abortion, but would support a morning after pill provided it were reliably safe (better than 99.99%) for the woman, required a medical-O.K. from a trained physician, and used within the first trimester, preferably within the first 2 months.

Ah, thanks for your answer.

Maybe I don't know much about the pill, but I thought it had to be taken within days of "the act." Let me look into this and get back to you.

As usual, I am right. Hee hee hee It needs to be taken within 72 hours of intercourse.

My policy:

Chastity before marriage,
Fidelity afterwards.

Then stupid things like a morning after pill and abortion really arent that big a deal.

My policy:

Fidelity afterwards.

Then stupid things like a morning after pill and abortion really arent that big a deal.

That's mine, too.

Anyway, back to the subject. The morning after pill isn't really an abortion. It's a fast-acting birth control pill. It prevents ovulation, thus preventing fetilization. The Catholic Church frowns upon this, but I do not, only on the acts that typically lead up to its use.

-Cp said:
I would agree, however, "Life of the Mother" is never an issue anymore - with today's medical advances, Doctors never have to choose between saving hte baby or the mother....

Blanket statements like these require some sourceable proof.

The ClayTaurus said:
Blanket statements like these require some sourceable proof.

no they don't ....only common sense and a general awareness of the medical field is required to know that cp's statment is true

ProudDem said:

For those that oppose both, do you believe that one is the lesser of the two evils, or equal?

Part of me supports it, but then part of me doesn't. The part that supports it is I believe it would reduce the number of abortions that are being done as a means for birth control. I am sure many of you think that life begins at conception, but the thought of eliminating a bunch of cells versus a fetus that takes the shape of a person seems more tolerable.

But part of me doesn't support it because I worry that some women would use it as a means of birth control, which I do not support.

i neither oppose nor support either of these.....i do belive that they should not be used as a means of birth control

ProudDem said:
Maybe I don't know much about the pill, but I thought it had to be taken within days of "the act." Let me look into this and get back to you.

Alright, I guess I misunderstood as 'the morning after pill' is a sort of generic catch-all term for a number of different drugs: plan B, levonelle (and levonelle-2), mifepristone (RU-486) (which can be used up to 49 days into the pregnancy), and perhaps others. At least I thought they used to call RU-486 'the morning after pill' as well. (yeah, they refer to it as such here)

So I guess the question is, precisely which are you refering to? I assume Plan B.

Zhukov said:
Alright, I guess I misunderstood as 'the morning after pill' is a sort of generic catch-all term for a number of different drugs: plan B, levonelle (and levonelle-2), mifepristone (RU-486) (which can be used up to 49 days into the pregnancy), and perhaps others. At least I thought they used to call RU-486 'the morning after pill' as well. (yeah, they refer to it as such here)

So I guess the question is, precisely which are you refering to? I assume Plan B.

Zhukov, I hadn't heard of the pill you mention that can be taken up to 49 days into pregnancy. Hmmm. I was talking about the one that has to be taken within 72 hours of intercourse.

My policy:

Fidelity afterwards.

Rape and incest don't exist?

GotZoom said:
Rape and incest don't exist?

And what on earth did you somehow read into my post to conclude such a ridiculous question needed to be asked?

And what on earth did you somehow read into my post to conclude such a ridiculous question needed to be asked?

"Chastity before marriage
Fidelity after marriage

Then stupid things like a morning after pill and abortion really arent that big a deal."

I assume then that the morning after pill and abortion aren't that big a deal for rape and incest?

Forum List

Back