Mormons & Islam

I must be a idiot. I can't see how Islam compares to Mormonism. Devout Muslims crash airplanes into buildings and kill themselves and countless innocent bystanders for the glory of their religion. How does that compare to Mormons, again? Of course, I am just an idiot. I haven't got a clue. Fill me in.

Michael Youssef - Michael's Blogs - Common Threads between Islam and Mormonism
Common Threads between Islam and*Mormonism

In looking at some of the candidates for the 2012 election, one cannot help but notice the controversies that have arisen regarding the Mormon religion. As I considered Luther’s quote and the concerns regarding electing a Mormon president, I noticed some peculiar similarities between the Mormon faith and Islam as they relate to orthodox Christianity.

It's hard to believe that two religions that are worlds apart geographically have so many things in common. Here are some examples:

1. Both believe that Christianity was corrupt and incomplete until their respective founders came on the scene. For Islam, it was Muhammad; for Mormons, it was Joseph Smith.

2. They both have their own book of “sacred scripture.” While both tip their hats to the Bible, each see God’s Word as insufficient by itself. Both Islam and Mormonism use many biblical themes, narratives and personalities. But the Qur’an draws heavily from the apocryphal books rather than the authoritative cannon of the Bible.

3. In both cases, Islam and Mormonism see their religion as complete within itself. Above all, both repudiate biblical Christianity and identify orthodox Christianity as a false faith.

4. Both religions reject the doctrine of the Trinity. The Mormon’s concept of god includes many gods, not just one. Muslims view god as one, but as an aloof,*remote god who could never become a man or relate to humanity. Allah can have mercy if he wants to, but he is also a cunning god.

5. Both religions reject the Bible as the sole and sufficient authority of faith. For Mormons, the Book of Mormon and other writings of the Latter Day Saints*represent God’s final revelation. For Muslims, the Qur’an and the Sunna (traditions of Muhammad) constitute God’s final authoritative word.

6. They both reject the biblical teaching of original sin. Muslims believe Adam did not become completely depraved after disobeying God; he merely slipped but quickly recovered. Therefore to Muslims, humanity does not need redemption. Salvation in Islam is very uncertain, even when keeping the Five Tenants of Islam; although some teach that jihad will help in that quest for salvation. Mormons believe that they are not condemned by what*many*call “original sin.” In other words, they are not accountable for Adam’s transgression in the Garden of Eden.

Problems with your 6 points:

1) Mormons have never claimed Christianity is incomplete. In fact, the claim of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is that it is the Restored Christian Church. That the doctrines, authority, and keys, provided to the Saints in the Meridian of Time needed to be restored for a fulness of the Gospel to bless mankind. There is a significant difference between the Muslim view that Christianity is wrong, and the Mormon view that Christianity needed to be restored.

2) God's word is Jesus Christ. You would know this if you read the Bible. And Mormons believe the Bible to contain the word of God just like Mormons proclaim the Book of Mormon to contain the word of God.

Also, insufficient for what? The Bible is not what saves man. It doesn't claim to. Christ saves man. It is through the blood of Jesus Christ that mankind is saved. Mormons send out missionaries to proclaim that message everyday. And since Christ is the Word of God, it seems apparent that Mormons do think the Word is sufficient for salvation. In fact, it's the only way one can be reconciled with God.

3) Complete? How is a faith complete? A fundamental belief in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is that God still continues to reveal His will. He isnt done His work. He isnt done showing the world His power. and He isnt silent just because some people find His word uncomfortable.

4) The first article of Faith for Mormons is "We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost." So yes, Mormons believe in the Godhead, just not in the post Biblical creeds adopted by some Churches that define the Godhead with terms that are contrary to the scriptures.

5) Why on earth wouldn't they? The Bible never claims to be the sole and sufficient authority of Faith. God is the Sole and sufficient authority of Faith. The Bible was given to us as a tool to bring people to God and to learn of Him, not as a replacement for Him.

And as I pointed out earlier, There is no final revelation in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Mormons believe in ongoing revelation. Mormons don't have the audacity to tell God He can't say anything that hasnt already been said. Nor would Mormons want to keep God from sharing more of His word with them or the world.

6) We aren't accountable to Adam's transgression. That's the whole point of the Atonement. Though we are born in this Fallen State, the Atonement makes us accountable for only our own sins because Christ has taken upon Him the sins of the world.

I cant wait for the day when atheists are allowed to get elected.

then you wont have to worry about them trying to fulfill some mythilogical fantasy

While I have no doubt there have been people who dont believe in God in office, Im confident that if a militant athiests gets control all we have to worry about is genocide.

If that's your criteria, obama has to go. If you are promoting islam over Christianity to suggest we all become good muslims, that's different. You need to step up your game with that one, not even the muslims are rioting here.

I know nothing about Mormons , thought this was food for thought . Is the

article wrong ?

If you dont know anything, shouldnt you do some research?

And yes, it is.

It has always seemed possible that Smith read about Mohammed and thought he'd do a similar thing. Both are examples of unlearned men coming along with unsubstantiated testimony and asking others to believe. The strange thing is that both succeeded. Why are people so gullible?

First, what evidence is there that Joseph knew anything about Islam, considering he is as you say an unlearned man.

Second, unsubstatiated testimony? The Miracle of Mormonism isnt that people "blindly" believed what Joseph said. It's that multiple people shared the experiences with him.

There are 12 witnesses for the Book of Mormon. Joseph and the 3 witnesses saw and handled the plates, witnessed the angel, and heard the voice of God declaring that the Book of Mormon is true. Here:

Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, their brethren, and also of the people of Jared, who came from the tower of which hath been spoken. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true. And we also testify that we have seen the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shown unto us by the power of God, and not of man. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true. And it is marvelous in our eyes. Nevertheless, the voice of the Lord commanded us that we should bear record of it; wherefore, to be obedient unto the commandments of God, we bear testimony of these things. And we know that if we are faithful in Christ, we shall rid our garments of the blood of all men, and be found spotless before the judgment-seat of Christ, and shall dwell with him eternally in the heavens. And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.

Oliver Cowdery

David Whitmer

Martin Harris

The 8 witnesses saw and handled the plates.

Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That Joseph Smith, Jun., the translator of this work, has shown unto us the plates of which hath been spoken, which have the appearance of gold; and as many of the leaves as the said Smith has translated we did handle with our hands; and we also saw the engravings thereon, all of which has the appearance of ancient work, and of curious workmanship. And this we bear record with words of soberness, that the said Smith has shown unto us, for we have seen and hefted, and know of a surety that the said Smith has got the plates of which we have spoken. And we give our names unto the world, to witness unto the world that which we have seen. And we lie not, God bearing witness of it.

Christian Whitmer

Jacob Whitmer

Peter Whitmer, Jun.

John Whitmer

Hiram Page

Joseph Smith, Sen.

Hyrum Smith

Samuel H. Smith

Joseph and Oliver were both Present at the Restoration of the Aaronic and Melchesidek Priesthood.

They were both present with Christ appeared at the Kirtland Temple along with Moses, Elias, and Elijah, who came restoring the keys of the priesthood, including the power to seal in heaven and on earth. Interestingly, it was during Passover, when Elijah is expected to Return as prophecied.

Joseph and Sidney witnessed the vision of the Three degrees of glory together. Also with them were countless others, some who saw the vision, some who heard the voice of the Lord, and some who felt the glory of God upon them.

The School of the Prophets saw The Father and the Son appear to them.

No, like I said, the miracle of Mormonism is how many people were shown these things. It wasn't just Joseph seeing everything and no one else having any idea what happened. For every major event during the restoration, aside from the First vision, there are multiple witnesses for it.

I would also add, that one of the earliest lessons the Missionaries will teach an investigator is to not just take their word for it. God has promised that all people can know for themselves by the power of the Holy Spirit whether the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine of Christ are true.

Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things. (Moroni 10:3-5)

It is not until people have prayed, proved the Lord, to recieve a testimony of Him, his works, and His scriptures that we expect people to live the Gospel, first by exercising faith in Jesus Christ, repenting, and then following the commandments by being baptized for the remission of sins and recieving the Gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands. When we reciever the Gift of the Holy Ghost, the Lord can teach us all the things we need to do.

So no, there are no unsubstantiated witnesses involved in Mormonism. No blind believing. Every member of the Church is expected to seek the Lord and a recieve a testimony or witness from Him. Because nothing that has been revealed to Joseph will not be revealed to even the least of the saints.

"In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established." (2 Cor 13:1)

INVESTIGATING MORMONISM just info about Mormons .

Mormons are not in the business of killing the infidels, there is no comparison. Stupid fail thread.

Not now, but their history does contain a massacer of non-Mormons and a Mormon war agaisnt the USA.

No. it really doesn't. It's the US government that waged war against Mormons. Mostly because James Buchanan really was an inept fool who was adviced to put down a non-existant rebellion.

I must be a idiot. I can't see how Islam compares to Mormonism. Devout Muslims crash airplanes into buildings and kill themselves and countless innocent bystanders for the glory of their religion. How does that compare to Mormons, again? Of course, I am just an idiot. I haven't got a clue. Fill me in.

im sure there could be comparisons, just not on a level with that.

If that's your criteria, obama has to go. If you are promoting islam over Christianity to suggest we all become good muslims, that's different. You need to step up your game with that one, not even the muslims are rioting here.

I know nothing about Mormons , thought this was food for thought . Is the

article wrong ?

Mormons must be baptized to be saved. Just as Jesus Commanded. The book of Mormon is about Jesus in a Visit to America. It does not supersede the Bible in anyway, it simple accounts for what happened in America. It provides similar teachings to the bible but in America.

Anyone that believes the Trinity is being deceived. Jesus is clear in the Bible that he is NOT his father, his authority and power come from God and that the Holy Spirit is a force that God uses and is not a part of him. He admonished his disciples more then once not to believe he was God.

Mormonism and islam are similar because they both have religious texts that are so absurd as to obviously be concocted by con men.

Mormonism and islam are similar because they both have religious texts that are so absurd as to obviously be concocted by con men.

So says one of the boards most disliked posters. LOL

I know. People in general dislike the truth.

RetGaySarge, how do you feel about the don't ask, don't tell policy? And it being revoked?

I wouldn't say the most disliked poster, just one that makes the most stupidest claims.

Ok, show me one. :popcorn:

Well here's one

I know. People in general dislike the truth.

RetGaySarge, how do you feel about the don't ask, don't tell policy? And it being revoked?

Hey RETARD, I am a retired Gunnery Sgt. If you honestly didn't know that then you belong in the idiot camp.

I wouldn't say the most disliked poster, just one that makes the most stupidest claims.

Ok, show me one. :popcorn:

Well here's one

LOL! Ya? So? Joseph Smith was a CONVICTED CON MAN!!!!!!!
Mo invented a religion to get everyone to fight his battles (against the infidels), and so that his pedophilia was accepted.

Forum List

Back