Mormons believe their prophets have a direct communication with God

I'm not a prophet. I do believe God has given me instructions on how to conduct my personal affairs, but he has never given me doctrinal statements, like "The Sabbath is really on Saturday" or "Go ahead and ordain women."

I am, and he said to tell you to STFU until you at least do a little study. You're making him and his followers look like a bunch of idiots.

Is there any other religion that claims their religious leaders are prophets who have a direct communication with God?

That's a pretty serious claim to make.

Prophets

Virtually all Christian based religions do.
Liar. One of the things Jesus said and God did was remove Prophets from earth their return is a sign that God has restored his true church to the earth again.

The question wasn't whether prophets exist. It was whether the religions claim they do.
Most Christian religions claim there are no Prophets on earth.

I worked in a Mormon firm, and I was the only lawyer there who was not Mormon. Mormons are very insular, they refuse to make friendships or socialize or do business outside the Mormon faith. I learned early to never refer a case to a Mormon attorney, because he will NEVER refer a case to you, only to another Mormon.

Is there any other religion that claims their religious leaders are prophets who have a direct communication with God?

Prophets

Virtually all Christian based religions do.
Liar. One of the things Jesus said and God did was remove Prophets from earth their return is a sign that God has restored his true church to the earth again.

The question wasn't whether prophets exist. It was whether the religions claim they do.
Most Christian religions claim there are no Prophets on earth.

FALSE PROPHETS AND TEACHERS...Benny Hinn, T.D. Jakes, Robert Schuller, Marilyn Hickey, Paul and Jan Crouch, Rod Parsley, R.W. Shambach, Carlton Pearson, John Avanzinni, Kenneth & Gloria Copeland, John Hagee, Jessie Duplantis, Oral Roberts, Richard Roberts, Kenneth Hagin Sr., Kenneth Hagin Jr., Frederick Price, Creflo Dollar, Rodney Howard Browne, Jack Van Impe, Rinehard Bonnke, Joyce Meyer, Morris Cerullo, John Kilpatrick, Clarence McClendon, Rick Joyner, Hal Lindsey, Charles Capps, Robert Tilton.

FALSE PROPHETS...Ellen G. White, Joseph Smith, Kim Clement, Mark Charonna, Juanita Bynum, Brigham Young, Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, Jack Van Impe, John Kilpatrick.

HERETICAL BOOKS & MOVEMENTS ... New World Translation, Kenneth Copeland Study Bible, Book of Mormon, Brownsville Revival, Azusu Street Revival, Pensacola Outpouring, Holy Laughter, Slain in the Spirit, Gospel in the Stars, Endtime Restorationism, Perpetual 5-Fold Ministry, Free Masonry.

PROBLEMATIC TEACHERS ... Pat Robertson, D. James Kennedy, Joel Osteen.

I'm not a prophet. I do believe God has given me instructions on how to conduct my personal affairs, but he has never given me doctrinal statements, like "The Sabbath is really on Saturday" or "Go ahead and ordain women."

You should seek the Spirit of prophecy. Paul taught us to seek that gift.

It's a very misunderstood gift. More people have it than realizs

I worked in a Mormon firm, and I was the only lawyer there who was not Mormon. Mormons are very insular, they refuse to make friendships or socialize or do business outside the Mormon faith. I learned early to never refer a case to a Mormon attorney, because he will NEVER refer a case to you, only to another Mormon.

That's absurd. Most of the people I socialize and work with are out of the church. And I've never had. Problem referring cases to non Mormons

That's absurd. Most of the people I socialize and work with are out of the church. And I've never had. Problem referring cases to non Mormons
That is my experience with Mormons, in a town where a great number of lawyers are Mormons. Perhaps your experience is different, perhaps you live in a community where Mormons are a small minority.

That is my experience with Mormons, in a town where a great number of lawyers are Mormons. Perhaps your experience is different, perhaps you live in a community where Mormons are a small minority.

Wouldn't matter to me. I'm more of if you refer me I'll refer you at some point.

I don't know a lot of morms but those I do know are as Blackrook describes.

I would also compare them to the thumpers who knock on your door - obnoxious, demanding, rude. Why do people think they have the right to do that?

Or, @Jeremiah aka Book of Jeremiah wrote of actually accosting people in a hospital waiting room and preaching at them.

WTF?

As a Catholic, I've never been asked by a priest or anyone else to spread the Catholic religion.

In fact, they don't want us to, because they assume we're stupid and ignorant and would get it all wrong.

Which is true. Thanks to the fail-level of typical Catholic education, the vast majority of lay Catholics haven't a clue what they are supposed to believe in.

However, I did note in a Mormon pamphlet, written for Mormon missionaries, that if they run into a Catholic who really knows his stuff, they should NOT attempt to preach any more, but should evacuate the situation immediately.

What did the apostle paul say on the matter?
Remember I know the Bible better than you do

As a Catholic, I've never been asked by a priest or anyone else to spread the Catholic religion.

In fact, they don't want us to, because they assume we're stupid and ignorant and would get it all wrong.

Which is true. Thanks to the fail-level of typical Catholic education, the vast majority of lay Catholics haven't a clue what they are supposed to believe in.

However, I did note in a Mormon pamphlet, written for Mormon missionaries, that if they run into a Catholic who really knows his stuff, they should NOT attempt to preach any more, but should evacuate the situation immediately.

They assume you don't know anything?

Prophets
we all can have direct communication with Jesus if we seek him

The question as about direct communication with God, not Jesus. Of course, that gets really confusing if you think God and Jesus are the same. I never understood how that might work. Is God his first name, but he goes by his middle name (Jesus) when he talks to people? I have a buddy whose nickname is Prop. Nobody even remembers how or why he got that nickname. Perhaps Jesus is just a nick name for God. That would make as much sense as all the other explanations I've heard..

Prophets

The question as about direct communication with God, not Jesus. Of course, that gets really confusing if you think God and Jesus are the same. I never understood how that might work. Is God his first name, but he goes by his middle name (Jesus) when he talks to people? I have a buddy whose nickname is Prop. Nobody even remembers how or why he got that nickname. Perhaps Jesus is just a nick name for God. That would make as much sense as all the other explanations I've heard..

that is as silly a thing to say as an atheists lack of belief. Ihope the afterlife is the one you really want

Prophets

that is as silly a thing to say as an atheists lack of belief. Ihope the afterlife is the one you really want

Certainly not as silly as talking donkeys, trading your daughter for foreskins, and God sending a big fish with instructions to eat a guy and then swim for a few days, and then spit him up on a beach. Oh, and don't accidentally digest the guy or let him smother while he's in your stomach. Stuff like that would be really silly.

Forum List

Back