Mormonism, JW's and others...

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Think you'd be surprised to know that - on the surface - it appears that some of them would be in heaven as well. They do, after all, believe in the concept of salvation.

From the Mormon website:

- Our Heavenly Father wants us to be happy. Sin, or wrongdoing, makes us unhappy and also brings unhappiness to those we love, for “wickedness never was happiness” (Book of Mormon, Alma 41:10).
Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, Heavenly Father has provided a way for us to repent and be forgiven for the things we have done wrong.

To repent, we need to:

Admit to God that we have done wrong.
Feel sincere sorrow for our sins.
Ask God to forgive us.
Do all we can to correct the problems our actions may have caused.
Turn away from our sins and never repeat them.
Sincere repentance brings us forgiveness and greater peace in this life. It prepares us to live with our Heavenly Father in the life to come.

http://www.mormon.org/learn/0,8672,1468-1,00.html

And even though the JW's really stress "works" there is evidence they believe in the concept of accepting Christ:

http://www.watchtower.org/library/w/1996/2/1/what_must_we_do.htm

Just so you know Mormons and JWs are not the same sect. Although much of mainstream christianity tends to lump them together. Just FYI

Really? I've never considered them the same.... do they both believe in the book of Mormon?

freeandfun1 said:
Really? I've never considered them the same.... do they both believe in the book of Mormon?

Nope. Besides my point was they arent the same. Only mormons believe in the Book of Mormon, well and some sects that have broken away that dont usually number more than a few thousand people if that much.

JW's are an interesting group though. pretty fun to debate scripture with. Course it can be tough to since the version of the Bible can be seriously different from normal version (by different i mean that they are alot of verses missing such as those on fasting etc).

Nope. Besides my point was they arent the same. Only mormons believe in the Book of Mormon, well and some sects that have broken away that dont usually number more than a few thousand people if that much.

JW's are an interesting group though. pretty fun to debate scripture with. Course it can be tough to since the version of the Bible can be seriously different from normal version (by different i mean that they are alot of verses missing such as those on fasting etc).

Okay, I didn't think so, but I was a bit confused by your post. I think I get what you mean now though....

I live in Vegas so I deal with a lot of Mormons. I never understand the garments thing though....

Well, what did everyone score?

You are 30% Jehovah's Witness!
You have some serious changes to make before you can be baptized as a Jehovah's Witness. Your attitude will likely get you labeled as a rebel. Parents will not encourage their children to hang around you or your children, unless there is reason to believe they can help you become a better Jehovah's Witness. It is unlikely that you will ever really fit in at the Kingdom Hall.

im 40%. i was unaware that driving a four door car was so important. While i definately think the JWs are wrong on alot im not sure i totally approve of some of these sweeping generalizations.

Said1 said:
Well, what did everyone score?
Well I'm damned too, said.
Maybe it's cuz I won't answer the door when they knock...Or the time they dropped by on Christmas morning and I slamed the door on em...
Whatever the reason, they don't want me..Someone should tell them though, so they'll stop coming by. It doesn't seem to work when I tell them. LOL

*BTW...I treat everyone that comes to my door without an invite the same way..cept for kids selling something for school.*

:D

You are 43% Jehovah's Witness!
You have some serious changes to make before you can be baptized as a Jehovah's Witness. Your attitude will likely get you labeled as a rebel. Parents will not encourage their children to hang around you or your children, unless there is reason to believe they can help you become a better Jehovah's Witness. It is unlikely that you will ever really fit in at the Kingdom Hall.

-- Your answers and some commentary follow -- How do you view the Bible?
100% inspired by God
The Jehovah's Witnesses completely agree with you! Perhaps you'll fit in! Read on to see.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the most important quality you look for in a church leader?
Charisma
The Kingdom Hall may not be the place for you. Sermons preached at the Hall are very often extremely boring, even in the minds of staunch Jehovah's Witnesses. Their leaders are not chosen based on their speaking ability or integrity, but rather on their quantities of service. Good, educated, interesting speakers that don't spend enough time in the door-to-door preaching work, or don't show up for all of the five weekly meetings will not become leaders among Jehovah's Witnesses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How often do you feel like attending church?
Once in awhile
This would be a problem. Jehovah's Witnesses have five mandatory meetings a week, usually combined into three days. If you regularly miss any of them, you would be viewed as "weak". You wouldn't have many friends, since none of them would want you to drag them down.

How much of your time do you spend in recreational/family activities?
50%
Yeah, you're going to want to cut this way back. Between meetings, preparing for meetings, studying Watchtower books with your family, preaching to your neighbors, cleaning the Kingdom Hall, reading magazines, reading the new books released each year, and reading the "Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses", you're not going to have time for these recreational things. Maybe your spouse could drive to the meetings, and you could take up macrame?

What kind of vehicle do you drive?
2-door car
Nothing tells Jehovah's Witnesses that you're a worldly, selfish person like driving a 2-door car. Unless you can comfortably pack five people in it and go out in the door-to-door preaching work, Jehovah's Witnesses will not consider it a good vehicle choice. Unless it's your second car, in which case it's ok as long as it isn't too expensive and therefore materialistic.

How do you feel about people controlling who your friends are?
They can make suggestions, but I'll ignore them
Among Jehovah's Witnesses, 'suggestions' generally carry the weight of a command. When you don't take the 'suggestion' of the church leaders, especially if the 'suggestion' comes directly from the Watchtower, you will be in line for near-ostracism. You probably won't be expelled and shunned, but you won't be considered a worthy person to have as a friend.

How important are your family members to you? (Mother, brothers, cousins)
I see them occasionally
This is good, since if your family members are not Jehovah's Witnesses, you will be discouraged from spending much time with them. If you do spend time with them, you'll be expected to preach to them about your new faith as much as possible. Chances are good after a few of these preaching visits, your family will want to spend even less time with you than you do with them.

How important is it to you to have the respect of your community?
I care, but only to an extent
This is probably good, because while Jehovah's Witnesses are known as good, moral people, they don't have reputations as community leaders. You won't find them in soup kitchens, litter cleanup crews, or volunteering at the YMCA. Their single community service is their ministry, which very few people admire them for.

You view holidays as opportunities to:
Reunite with old friends and family
Jehovah's Witnesses view all holidays as inherently bad. There are different objections to different holidays, but in the end they are all considered inappropriate. Since Jehovah's Witnesses will discourage you from spending time with your relatives anyway, they will certainly not accept you spending holidays with them. If this is truly important to you, then the Kingdom Hall is not going to work.

If all your friends stopped talking to you because you changed churches, you would think:
"This is so un-Christian!"
Jehovah's Witnesses believe that they are the only true Christians on the Earth today. As such, any doctrine they teach is the correct Christian doctrine -- all others are false. They believe that their 'shunning' doctrine (called "disfellowshipping") is a loving provision from their God, Jehovah, and they are "helping" people to see the errors of their ways and return to God by shunning them. If you don't agree with this practice, you should not become one of Jehovah's Witness

Mr. P said:
Well I'm damned too, said.
Maybe it's cuz I won't answer the door when they knock...Or the time they dropped by on Christmas morning and I slamed the door on em...
Whatever the reason, they don't want me..Someone should tell them though, so they'll stop coming by. It doesn't seem to work when I tell them. LOL

Give em a book of mormon or some baptist tract or something. Just try to proselyte to them. There aren't as likely to return if you are trying to share your faith with them.

Give em a book of mormon or some baptist tract or something. Just try to proselyte to them. There aren't as likely to return if you are trying to share your faith with them.
I've heard of that tactic..but ya know I don't want to waste my time..and as long as they knock at my unanswered door, their not at anyone elses..lol

Jehovah's Witnesses differ from orthodox Christianity in that they deny the deity of Christ. JW's believe that Jesus was either a separate God, or that he was Michael (the archangel) in human form. JWs preach salvation by works, have a different Bible, translated to fir JE theology, and do not believe in hell.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS or Mormon Church) differs from orthodox Christianity in that they take the Bible to be correct, only as far as it is translated correctly (as determined by LDS leaders); they add the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, and Doctrines and Covenants as sacred writings. Mormonism teaches that God was once a man who attained godhood by practicing Mormonism, and that all men may attain godhood in the same way. Mormonism also denies the Trinitarian nature of God, teaching the God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit are three totally separate beings.

gop_jeff said:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS or Mormon Church) differs from orthodox Christianity in that they take the Bible to be correct, only as far as it is translated correctly (as determined by LDS leaders);

So you are saying the Bible is correct if its not translated correctly?

they add the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, and Doctrines and Covenants as sacred writings. Mormonism teaches that God was once a man who attained godhood by practicing Mormonism, and that all men may attain godhood in the same way.

Not entirely accurate. but not entirely wrong either.

BTW when you say orthadox Christianity, do you mean orthadox Christianity or are you refering to your version of evangelical protestantism? Because if you ask the Orthadox Christians, evangelicals are not orthadox.

Mormonism also denies the Trinitarian nature of God, teaching the God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit are three totally separate beings.

Does the Bible teach that they aren't three seperate beings that are one in purpose?

So you are saying the Bible is correct if its not translated correctly?

The way I read it, he is saying the LDS Elders are the ones that determine the translation.

freeandfun1 said:
The way I read it, he is saying the LDS Elders are the ones that determine the translation.

Well then i dont think thats true then.

Forum List

Back