Mormon Church changes policy on gays

They call for protecting gay rights, while also protecting the religious freedom of people who are anti-gay, basically. Interesting position.

Good for the LDS church. Marriage equality and women in the priesthood will occur within ten years.

Militant atheism is such a sad waste of emotion.

Work on things to better your life. You sound as miserable as an evangelical.

Although not necessarily in this manner, the Mormon Church will have to change if it is to cease resembling a cult and attain mainstream appeal. Which would be a good thing for America.

Good for the LDS church. Marriage equality and women in the priesthood will occur within ten years.
Then the LDS will be a milquetoast hollow shell of decadent christianity just like the other denominations. ...... :cool:

R-E-A-D-M-Y-P-O-S-T. I am not advocating gay marriage or an other politically correct stance by the Mormon Church. However, its defensive adherence to many of Joseph Smith's writings resembles Scientology's adherence to those of H. Ron Hubbard. Smith may have been a Prophet, but he certainly was not infallible.

I seriously doubt women will be allowed in the Priesthood. They have their offices and positions with in the Hierarchy of the Church as established by the Bible.

I seriously doubt women will be allowed in the Priesthood. They have their offices and positions with in the Hierarchy of the Church as established by the Bible.
They gave blessings and performed ordinances until the middle of BY's presidency, and many still give private blessings to other women for health and relief, as well as blessings of mothers to daughters.

If the church could give up the practice of plural marriage and give blacks the priesthood, the time for women to hold the priesthood is not too far in the future.

Last edited:
It was quite clever the way the Mormons came up with this. Everyone thinks there are changes in the Mormon church.

Seems unlikely. They tried the latter in the RLDS church. Its unrecognizable now. I did some volunteer work teaching classes that was housed at an RLDS church. They've given up the Book of Mormon. They make no mention of Joseph Smith. They're practice a pretty generic form of 'non-denominational' Christianity.

And they're dwindling. The mormons in contrast are rapidly growing.

There's simply no particular motivator to give up a male only priesthood. And with the RLDS' slow decline, an excellent reason not to.

It was quite clever the way the Mormons came up with this. Everyone thinks there are changes in the Mormon church.

They were pretty clear that their doctrine hasn't changed. But that their approach in the past was too insensitive. And they're trying to minister to the 'outcast' groups that Christ did.

I like the Mormons, generally speaking. They're pretty much New Testament Christians, focusing on love, faith, charity and service. I can get behind all of that.

Although not necessarily in this manner, the Mormon Church will have to change if it is to cease resembling a cult and attain mainstream appeal. Which would be a good thing for America.
Mormons have gone pretty mainstream. They've got 7 million or so members in the US and growing, up from 700,000 or so 50 years ago. Methodists in contrast have lost 4.6 million members in the last 50 years, with 2% congregation losses per year.

The Episcopal church is dwindling. Methodists are on the way out. There are more Mormons that Lutherans, more than Presbyterians, more than Pentecostals.

But far, far less than the Baptists or the Catholics.

Forum List

Back