Morgan Freeman blames media for mass shooting

America has become desensitized...there are several reasons for it.

That is all.

Meister, a friend and I were having this same discussion. We did list some of the reasons we believe might be causing this desensitizing.

So the media is the latest scaoegoat....

I blame the shooter and him alone.

Of course but I want to understand what caused this 20 year old to choose to kill twenty 6 year old children and their teachers as well as his own mother.

That is all.

Meister, a friend and I were having this same discussion. We did list some of the reasons we believe might be causing this desensitizing.

I'm not buying it. Children throughout history have been witnesses to violence and death and even play rolled on the subject (cops n robbers cowboys and indians) yet only now do we have this problem.
Why don't the children that are first hand witnesses to these mass murders then go on to become murders themselves?

As a society when we witness something we can't explain we fear it and as a result react by trying to place blame where none exists in order to feel better about it.

Our children saw few people disembowled and chopped up with a chainsaw before our current media.

And when was the last time you saw a child act out that scene?

Also, children are restricted from that type of media. So maybe instead of blaming the media you should look to the parents.

That is all.

I'm not buying it. Children throughout history have been witnesses to violence and death and even play rolled on the subject (cops n robbers cowboys and indians) yet only now do we have this problem.
Why don't the children that are first hand witnesses to these mass murders then go on to become murders themselves?

As a society when we witness something we can't explain we fear it and as a result react by trying to place blame where none exists in order to feel better about it.

All valid observations Grampa but you are ignoring one point. Not all people are the same. Some children who are molested go on to molest others later. Some never do. We can never truly predict how trauma or violence experience in life will affect people, especially young people.

However I do think we need to be concerned about the state of mental health in this country and whether we are honestly protecting ourselves from those who may be exhibiting signs that should be explored more through various means. Some things are simply not preventable but some things are. I am not totally certain what the case is here because it is too soon and all the facts are not known.

Our children saw few people disembowled and chopped up with a chainsaw before our current media.

Also, children are restricted from that type of media. So maybe instead of blaming the media you should look to the parents.

Overall todays parents suck!
However you cannot entirely blame them about their children seeing what is on the media.
this restriction thing does not cut it.
People are restricted from murdering others.

Last edited:

However you cannot entirely blame them about their children seeing what is on the media.

Sure you can. I monitored closely the media my girls had access to. Computers and tv's alike all have filters on them. Every cable box I've ever had also has parental controls on it.

this restriction thing does not cut it.
People are restricted from murdering others.

I think many complex factors, life experiences and the degree of mental health lead to a person doing what this killer did. We dissect each case after it happens but it seems we rarely draw any certain conclusions or common values as to why these mass killings happen.

Sure you can. I monitored closely the media my girls had access to. Computers and tv's alike all have filters on them. Every cable box I've ever had also has parental controls on it.

That is you.
Did they not ever spend the night at friends houses?
Most parents use the media as a baby sitter.

I have seen children who have messed up big time who came from the type of homes you describe.

Just went to the funeral of a 23 year old girl who was raised in what appears to have been a wonderful home, parents involved, lots of love and friends, sports and guidance including a parochial school education. Heroin beat back all of that and took her life.

I want to understand what her demons were and I knew this girl well and I have no idea.

That is you.

So spending the night at a friends house and watching a horror movie leads to killing?

Absurd

That is you.

So spending the night at a friends house and watching a horror movie leads to killing?

Absurd

With 1 out of 10,000 it might. and that is all it takes for something like this to happen.

Forum List

Back