More 'Zero Tolerance' Idiocy

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
A Pennsylvanian middle school student has been suspended for three days for giving another student a stick of Jolt gum, which contains caffeine. According to school policy, possessing a stimulant on school grounds will get you suspended. The principal was quoted as saying, "What if she had given it to a student with a heart condition?" The school has Coke machines, though they're not on during school hours. Asshat.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060527/D8HS2RR00.html

Hobbit said:
A Pennsylvanian middle school student has been suspended for three days for giving another student a stick of Jolt gum, which contains caffeine. According to school policy, possessing a stimulant on school grounds will get you suspended. The principal was quoted as saying, "What if she had given it to a student with a heart condition?" The school has Coke machines, though they're not on during school hours. Asshat.

I'm actually surprised that rule is enforced. My school does/did a shotty job of enforcing most rules. For instance, you couldn't wear a shirt that displayed an alcohal or tobacco product, yet I saw at least ten every day. Good job, admins, good job. Only once throughout the whole year did I see someone with their shirt turned inside out. See, zero tolerance should be just that, zero tolerance. Spineless school workers let the students use them as doormats, it's painfull to watch.

Hobbit said:

Bet they serve coffee too.

Complete idiocy. Hell, my high school used to sell us coffee in the morning.

I'm glad this is what they decide to enforce...but when someone's getting a handjob in the bathroom while he smokes crack and writes obscenities all over the stalls, let's look away. The kid who gave the gum was probably innocent...as usual, the school officials prey on the weak instead of standing up to the bullies.

liberalogic said:
Complete idiocy. Hell, my high school used to sell us coffee in the morning.

I'm glad this is what they decide to enforce...but when someone's getting a handjob in the bathroom while he smokes crack and writes obscenities all over the stalls, let's look away. The kid who gave the gum was probably innocent...as usual, the school officials prey on the weak instead of standing up to the bullies.

Yeah thats about the size of it. The principal's argument wasn't very valid, either. If a kid had a heart condition they *should* be smart enough to not use caffiene.

My daughter's school, on the other hand, refuses to enforce rules about such things as dress codes and respect to elders. And it's a Christian school... :(

New Topics

Forum List

Back