More Youths Rioting For Ramadan, 3rd Night

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
The MSM is just picking this up, 2 nights later...

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/1384

Third Night of Ramadan Rioting in Capital of Europe
From the desk of Paul Belien on Wed, 2006-09-27 11:32

It looks as if immigrants youths want to turn nightly rioting during the Islamic holy month of ramadan into an annual tradition. Around 8:30pm last night violence erupted again in Brussels, the capital of Europe. The riots centered on the Brussels Marollen quarter and the area near the Midi Train Station, where the international trains from London and Paris arrive. Youths threw stones at passing people and cars, windows of parked cars were smashed, bus shelters were demolished, cars were set ablaze, a youth club was arsoned and a shop was looted. Two molotov cocktails were thrown into St.Peter’s hospital, one of the main hospitals of central Brussels. The fire brigade was able to extinguish the fires at the hospital, but youths managed to steal the keys of the fire engine.

During the month of ramadan Muslims are required to fast during the day and are only allowed to eat after sunset. As Esther pointed out “What should be noticed about the riots is that they start after sunset. Besides the fact that they start after dark, it also gives the rioters enough time to break their fast and enjoy the traditional family meal. Sunset is around 7:30pm.” Tuesday’s and Monday’s riots began around 8:30pm.

Last night the police arrested 45 rioters. One of them will be prosecuted for assaulting the owner of a shop. Philippe Close, the chef de cabinet of the Mayor of Brussels, Freddy Thielemans, said that the authorities would continue their efforts to defuse the situation in a peaceful manner, but he announced that the police will be less complacent in future, “since we cannot tolerate that this [Marollen] neighbourhood falls victim to a problem from outside the neighbourhood.”

The immigrant youths claim that they are upset by the death of Fayçal Chaaban, a 25-year old criminal, in a Brussels prison last Sunday. Yesterday morning the authorities announced they would hold a meeting with the youths to hear their grievances about security in prison, but the meeting, which was due last night, could not take place because of the riots.

The authorities are especially nervous since the Belgian municipal elections are being held on Sunday October 8th. It is likely that the elections will be won by anti-immigrant, “islamophobic” parties. Since ramadan will not be over on October 8th and many immigrants might perceive a victory of the indigenous right (as opposed to their own far-right) as an insult, Muslim indignation over the election results in major cities may spark serious disturbances. According to a poll published today the Vlaams Belang party is set to win 38.6% of the vote in Antwerp (compared to 33,0% in the previous municipal elections six years ago).

More on this topic (with links to the 2005 Ramadan Riots):

Ramadan Rioting in Brussels, 26 September 2006

Well the MSM is not reporting on, so we are left with those that will. Obviously if you bother to read, there are mucho links. For Jillian and the others maybe you might want to try searches in the morning?

http://www.snappedshot.com/archives/238-Those-youths-are-at-it-again.html

Those "youths" are at it again
Since when is a riot not considered newsworthy?

"A car-burning of peace."
The Brussels Journal reported today (via FreeRepublic) that the third day of rioting in the Marollen district of Brussels commenced today, events which were sparked by the apparent murder of a Moroccan prisoner in a Brussels prison. What makes this story unusual is that so far, there has only been one report issued across the newswires (by Reuters) covering the events, and even though the rioting is entering its third day, not a single photographer has been dispatched to document the activities of the Muslim mob.

We have learned from reports in Belgium (which have been roughly translated via Babelfish) that the prisoner was apparently poisoned, and there were no external signs of injury on his body. The parents of the family, and subsequently the mob, blame the Belgian government for his death, but autopsy reports turned in so far have not been definitive. A more telling video documents some of the reported destruction, but I'm sure there's plenty there that's not covered as well.

In the riots, as reported by the Brussels Journal, stores have been firebombed, bus shelters have been demolished, cars have been set alight, and two Molotov cocktails were thrown into St. Peter's Hospital, which is "one of the main hospitals in central Brussels." Yet amongst all of this meleé, the Associated Press hasn't seen fit to send a photojournalist? Nor Reuters?

The wires' lack of interest in this story is telling, indeed.

(Story rewritten from rough initial reports, which can be viewed with the full story.)
Original reporting: The following is the original content of this story, which is the result of scattered information. It has been extensively rewritten into the form above for clarity's sake, but I'm preserving the original below for the record.

"Rioting? Ve haff no rioting 'ere!"
Apparently, rioting is becoming an annual Ramadan tradition. (h/t FreeRepublic). Press reports so far seem to be using the standard descriptive "youths" to whitewash the religious nature of the riots, but then again, what's surprising about that?

From the wires, we're being told that these "youths of North African origin" are rioting over the death of "an inmate" in "a jail." Reuters ought to win an award for that extremely specific reporting. A muddier picture could not possibly have been penned, by anyone.

Here is a roundup of the articles covering this so far:

Reuters: here, here, and here.

I'll be covering this as news comes in. Anyone with news, feel free to chime in!

(Oh, and as of now, there are NO images on the wire of these riots. The photo services are doing a stunning job of reporting this event, aren't they?)

Update 10:58 EST: I'm working on tracking down articles in the Belgian media which cover this event. So far, nothing related to rioting, but then again, my French could use some improvement.

Here's an article (via a rough translation) that tells of the family of the killed perp (er, "youth" in "a prison") wondering why and how he was killed. Do they blame the Belgians for it? You betcha.

And here's another article (again roughly translated) which speaks of the investigation into the prisoner's death. Rioting gets a brief mention at the end of the article, but most of the attention is drawn to the prisoner.

I'm beginning to think that nothing bad ever happens in Belgium. In fact, I think the other photograph at the paper which gave us that last story says it all. (See the top of the article.)

Update 11:07 EST: WE HAVE VIDEO! Firebombing, broken windows, groups of "youths" raging around. Nothing to see here, folks. Is Brussels heading to dhimmitude?

Is the sky blue?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Update 11:11 EST: I'm kinda curious as to what connections this store had to the prison where the perp died. Or to the government that the Mohammedans say killed him.

Such peaceful "youths."

Update 11:17 EST: That's right, Brussels. Now is obviously the best time to bash President Bush. There are obviously no problems in your own backyard.

Update 11:59 EST: LGF is on the story. Howdy, Charles!

(Somewhere around 12:30, I submitted enquiries with Reuters and the Associated Press to determine if there was some overriding editorial decision to not cover this story—I.e., some excuse that it's a "local interest" story or the like. If/when I hear back from the services, I'll be sure to post their reply/-ies here! Of course, they have plenty of time to cover other "local" stories, so you'd think they would cover this one too, right?)

Update 13:45 EST: EUReferendum ("The Brussels Experts(tm)") is weighing in on the story as well. Richard reports that riots are not exactly uncommon in that district of town, but notes that this one seems somewhat more severe than their more common fare.

Update 13:59 EST: Just noticed that Atlas Shrugs is covering this story as well.

Update 14:58 EST: Dave has some interesting thoughts on the reportage of this riot versus reportage on the typical scattering of leftists at any given California protest. Good point, Dave!

Update 16:23 EST: My day is made! Michelle Malkin noticed this story! Hi there, Michelle!

Update 17:03 EST: Just as a quick update, here's the short summary of the reply I've gotten from the news agencies:

-cheep cheep-

I'll keep you posted, but now may be a good time to stop holding my breath!

Roundup: (Just noticed a few of you. Sorry for not linking earlier!) Freedom Folks, It Shines For all, Tammy Bruce, The Right Nation, Dust My Broom, Bizzyblog, Ace of Spades, Jersey Nut, Gates of Vienna
10:39—Posted by Brian C. Ledbetter in Protests Comments:

Forum List

Back