More Workers Have Gloomy Nest Egg Outlook

Not expecting to be retired and having enough money saved to be self-sufficient are not mutually exclusive.

I don't expect to retire for a long time, but I prefer to live below my means and have "Capital". There's a nice sense of liberty in knowing one has sufficient resources to take advantage of opportunities and to weather storms.

Yes, there is.

And there's also that nice feeling you get when you've made big plans for the weekend and the boss tells you at 4 o'clock on Firday afternoon "You have to come in this weekend" and you can say "Sorry, I have plans".

There are always charities for causes in which one believes to leave any bit one hasn't managed to spend.

I find very few charities worthy of my time or money. There are a few, but not many.

BTW: your ignore list body count is rather juvenile.

Probably. I'm just surprised its tally hasn't risen quicker than it has.

It only takes one charity, or a niece or nephew...

But whatever rocks your world is up to you. I enjoy a sense of freedom more than spending every dime in my pocketbook.

Not expecting to be retired and having enough money saved to be self-sufficient are not mutually exclusive.

I don't expect to retire for a long time, but I prefer to live below my means and have "Capital". There's a nice sense of liberty in knowing one has sufficient resources to take advantage of opportunities and to weather storms.

Yes, there is.

And there's also that nice feeling you get when you've made big plans for the weekend and the boss tells you at 4 o'clock on Firday afternoon "You have to come in this weekend" and you can say "Sorry, I have plans".

That's the nicer version of having "fuck off" money, or taxi fare on a date.

;)

I've been down that road before. Currently I work in a position where the only available OT is Storm Duty, so that's not a big deal. I've worked jobs where I've made $20K and more in OT for a year and jobs where I've gotten none at all. If I have the money, I spend it. If I don't, I don't spend it. It's that simple.

There are always charities for causes in which one believes to leave any bit one hasn't managed to spend.

I find very few charities worthy of my time or money. There are a few, but not many.

BTW: your ignore list body count is rather juvenile.

But whatever rocks your world is up to you. I enjoy a sense of freedom more than spending every dime in my pocketbook.

Once again we agree. I've always felt for the longest time that the only thing money was really good for was securing your freedom and independence.

Everything else is pretty much junk.

[That's the nicer version of having "fuck off" money, or taxi fare on a date.

I keep enough money in the bank to be able to cover emergencies and do the things I like. I have a couple pretty expensive hobbies, but I make ends meet without any trouble. I'm looking to move later this year so I've stuck a little more money away for that. I just don't see the sense in having a huge amount of money squirreled away for the future. The future never comes.

Once again we agree. I've always felt for the longest time that the only thing money was really good for was securing your freedom and independence.

Everything else is pretty much junk.

I'm reminded of Bernadette Peters in "The Jerk": It's not the money I miss...it's THE STUFF!!!!!

Article with some interesting tips on what seniors can get rid of to help meet Their budget when retired.

9 Expenses to Lose in Retirement

Adjusting to life without a steady income is difficult for retirees, but taking a close look at your budget and spending habits can help ease the transition.

“Figure out what your retirement income is going to be and figure out what you have to cut,” says Bob Williams, senior vice president of Delta Trust Investments in Little Rock, Ark. “Sit down and look at each individual expense. Have a ‘come to Jesus’ meeting. Can I afford this?”

Eliminating unnecessary spending in retirement can help seniors maximize their savings and ensure a comfortable living.

9 Expenses to Lose in Retirement - FoxBusiness.com

I retired at age 42, fixed for life. Not rich though, just secure. Did it through hard work and innovation, no investments, no "found" money, no gubmint help, and NO loans ever taken out. Ever. Neither a borrower nor a lender be. If I can do it, anyone can. Get out there and get it!

DEBT is the biggest problem the "middle class" faces, they all too often go into debt to live above their means.

Forum List

Back