More troublesome teen trends

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Yet another challenging school year is upon us and parents of teenagers seem to have more and more to worry about each year. Consumer Reports on Health is out with its list of the 10 most troubling teen trends, and it's not pretty.

Biting, cutting and sucking blood (blame it on hollywood's glamourous portrayal of vampires.) excessive tanning or tannorexia, body piercing (yes, in the "nether regions") and even smoking hookah's and chewing tobacco. C-R Health's Dr Orly Avitzur, says these trends are troubling because they pose serious health risks.

Here's a complete roundup of the 10 troublesome trends, some old and some new, that your teen may be exposed to this school year, as reported in Consumer Reports on Health:

Parents Need To Be On The Lookout For Risky Teen Behavior - New Jersey 101.5 FM

Sucking blood? Good Lord. :eek:

Yet another challenging school year is upon us and parents of teenagers seem to have more and more to worry about each year. Consumer Reports on Health is out with its list of the 10 most troubling teen trends, and it's not pretty.

Biting, cutting and sucking blood (blame it on hollywood's glamourous portrayal of vampires.) excessive tanning or tannorexia, body piercing (yes, in the "nether regions") and even smoking hookah's and chewing tobacco. C-R Health's Dr Orly Avitzur, says these trends are troubling because they pose serious health risks.

Here's a complete roundup of the 10 troublesome trends, some old and some new, that your teen may be exposed to this school year, as reported in Consumer Reports on Health:

With my kids all about a decade away from being teenagers, I fear for the what will happen by 2020! Its doesn't appear to be getting tamer, rather just the opposite!

With my kids all about a decade away from being teenagers, I fear for the what will happen by 2020! Its doesn't appear to be getting tamer, rather just the opposite!
Find another country to live in. See which one has the least murkins.

Imo, we're seeing this like this because we have lost our "religion" in our society. I'm not supporting any specific organized religion, because I don't practice it myself, but people get into some pretty bizarre things in the search for meaning.

Vampires are glamourized much more today than they were in the past. Personally, I love vampires ( movies ) but just because I do, doesn't mean I love Twilight. A 38 year-old family member of mine is obsessed with Twilight and I would not put it past her to try some of this biting / bleeding shit.

My teenager though .... no signs yet. Sneaking some beer with his friends, yes. Biting and bleeding? No.

Good parenting helps prevent a lot of this kind of crap. Remember, YOU are the adult in the situation. If little Timmy feels like his space and privacy are being invaded, tough shit!!! Timmy doesn't have the skills, maturity and experience to make the wisest of decisions just yet.

Good parenting helps prevent a lot of this kind of crap. Remember, YOU are the adult in the situation. If little Timmy feels like his space and privacy are being invaded, tough shit!!! Timmy doesn't have the skills, maturity and experience to make the wisest of decisions just yet.

:clap2:

Yes! By all means .... INVADE! As parents, it's our right!

Seems to me that the article lacks some data, but maybe I missed it? Most of these are behaviors that would be reported to therapists if persistent, no?

Do teens 'try' risky behaviors? Sure, some do some, many do certain ones, and a few do extremes. In any of these how many make a habit of one?

Cutting is likely to begin in middle school, one tries it, may spread for a bit. Few keep it up-it hurts and screams of attention need.

This article is reminding me of over reaction to Harry Potter and such.

My kids were in high school a decade ago or less. Were there kids into Goth? Sure, for the most part they were the straightest kids around. Were there jocks and geeks into drugs and risky sex, yep. They were 30 years ago too. Were most of any of these groups? No.

I think kids today are doing as well or better than their parents or grandparents as far as avoiding addictions and anti-social behaviors. They recognize the dangers of our times, economically and regarding issues of national importance. They don't have the hopelessness of the Cold War or the optimism of the 80's and 90's. They are more reality based and more serious about their futures.

Forum List

Back