More than 1,400 millionaires paid no U.S. income taxes in 2009, according to the IRS

merrill

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2011
The top 400 earners in the U.S. paid an average tax rate of 18 percent, according to a Bloomberg TV report noticed by Think Progress. And though that's a far lower rate than the 26.5 percent that many families making less than $100,000 pay annually in taxes, some of America's super-rich have been able to whittle their tax bill down even more, paying a tax rate as low as one percent, according to Bloomberg.

How? Many of the super rich take advantage of a variety of tax loopholes to lower their tax burden. For some of America's rich, most of their wealth comes from stock appreciation, according to Bloomberg, which some billionaires don't end up defining as taxable income.

These findings echo earlier reports, which suggest that the super rich may not be paying their full share in taxes. More than 1,400 millionaires paid no U.S. income taxes in 2009, according to an August report from the Internal Revenue Service.

In addition, 25 percent of all millionaires pay a smaller percentage of their income taxes than millions of middle class households.

But billionaires aren't the only ones that use loopholes to pay lower taxes. Thirty of America's most profitable corporations used rules like the "active financing exception" -- allowing corporations to sidestep paying taxes on overseas profits if they were derived by "actively financing" some activity or deal -- to pay less than zero in income taxes, according to a recent report from the Center for Tax Justice.

Though many super wealthy Americans and very rich corporations use loopholes to lower their tax burden, some have advocated for raising taxes on themselves. Warren Buffett became the most prominent advocate for raising taxes on the rich when he wrote an op-ed in The New York Times in August encouraging lawmakers to raise taxes on millionaires so that they pay the same or higher rate as middle class earners.

Earlier this week, a band of millionaires went to Capitol Hill to lobby Congress to raise their taxes. And they seem to have the support of millionaires around the country, nearly 70 percent of whom said in a survey last month that they support raising taxes on those making $1 million or more.

Some Billionaires Paying Less Than One Percent In Taxes [WATCH]

So you're for a flat income tax? Excellent. No loopholes, everyone pays the same percentage. Otherwise, you're just bitching about people following the tax code.

And by the way, the 18% paid by the top earners was due to the fact they tend to make their money off capital gains....money that is invested and may be lost entirely (not the case with regular wage-earned income) and that was already taxed when it was originally earned (also not the case with regular income). It's double taxation.

Of course, the wealthy still pay the vast majority of the taxes, but don't let that stop your little class war.

What did they pay in capital gains taxes

Your attempt at an inflammatory headline fails miserably.

Just because somebody is wealthy (a millionaire) doesn't mean they have income.
Income is taxed, not wealth.

Let me give you an example.
Suppose I have a job that pays me $30,000 a year. Suppose I own 100,000 shares of stock in company X and I bought those shares for 1 penny each. Then suppose the stock price increases to $100 per share. I am now considered wealthy, but until I sell those shares of stock I haven't made any money on them, thus I am not taxed on that increase in wealth. I am still only taxed on my $30k income from my job despite my billionaire status of wealth.

The top 400 earners in the U.S. paid an average tax rate of 18 percent, according to a Bloomberg TV report noticed by Think Progress. And though that's a far lower rate than the 26.5 percent that many families making less than $100,000 pay annually in taxes, some of America's super-rich have been able to whittle their tax bill down even more, paying a tax rate as low as one percent, according to Bloomberg.

How? Many of the super rich take advantage of a variety of tax loopholes to lower their tax burden. For some of America's rich, most of their wealth comes from stock appreciation, according to Bloomberg, which some billionaires don't end up defining as taxable income.

These findings echo earlier reports, which suggest that the super rich may not be paying their full share in taxes. More than 1,400 millionaires paid no U.S. income taxes in 2009, according to an August report from the Internal Revenue Service.

In addition, 25 percent of all millionaires pay a smaller percentage of their income taxes than millions of middle class households.

But billionaires aren't the only ones that use loopholes to pay lower taxes. Thirty of America's most profitable corporations used rules like the "active financing exception" -- allowing corporations to sidestep paying taxes on overseas profits if they were derived by "actively financing" some activity or deal -- to pay less than zero in income taxes, according to a recent report from the Center for Tax Justice.

Though many super wealthy Americans and very rich corporations use loopholes to lower their tax burden, some have advocated for raising taxes on themselves. Warren Buffett became the most prominent advocate for raising taxes on the rich when he wrote an op-ed in The New York Times in August encouraging lawmakers to raise taxes on millionaires so that they pay the same or higher rate as middle class earners.

Earlier this week, a band of millionaires went to Capitol Hill to lobby Congress to raise their taxes. And they seem to have the support of millionaires around the country, nearly 70 percent of whom said in a survey last month that they support raising taxes on those making $1 million or more.

Some Billionaires Paying Less Than One Percent In Taxes [WATCH]

So what?

You won't be able to convince any "conservatives" here of needed changes to the tax code. "Conservatives" incorrectly believe that taxes on capital gains are double taxation, that that money was earned first and they refuse to acknowledge capital loss.

They simply don't understand what's going on.

You won't be able to convince any "conservatives" here of needed changes to the tax code. "Conservatives" incorrectly believe that taxes on capital gains are double taxation, that that money was earned first and they refuse to acknowledge capital loss.

I'm all for changing the tax code to allow everyone to keep more of their own money.

You are mistaken.
This conservative thinks the tax code needs a complete overhaul and rewrite.
Far too many pay zero federal taxes and that needs to change.
We don't let the majority of whites decide that the black or Hispanic minority should be taxed at a higher rate, we don't let the majority of heterosexuals decide that the minority of homosexuals should be taxed at a different rate, so why do we let the majority of lower income people decide that the upper income should be taxed at a different rate?

Edit to add---
Silly me, I think everybody should be treated the same.

Last edited:
What percentage of federal income tax is paid by the wealthy

the upper 50% of the wage earners pay @97% of all tax collections, and the lower ones only @3%. The upper of the upper pay a disproportionate share of that too, the Top 1% of earners = 37% of taxes paid, the next bracket 2-5% accounts for another 20%. So about 57% paid by the top 5%. Especially as this is for Personal Income Tax only, and many of the more wealthy have much of the income taxed (some would say double taxed) by in the Corporate returns of those corporations they control/own.

Also, this is of those filing returns. The percentage of people whose income is, because of deductions/exemptions below where they have to file returns, and with things like Earned Income tax credits, actually get more back than they might pay, is huge...something like 40% of the populace. And of course, the lower earners pay at much reduced rate anyway.

Some quick statistics: The top 1% of earners pay 21.20% of all taxes paid at an average rate of 24%, the top 2 - 5% of earners pay 14.55% of all taxes at an average of 18% (Top 5% pay @36% of all tax) The bottom 50% pay 3% of all tax collected at an average rate of 2.98%.

Read more: What percentage of federal income tax is paid by the wealthy

It pays to verify whatever a lib says. They are usually lying somewhere.

Suppose I have a job that pays me $30,000 a year. Suppose I own 100,000 shares of stock in company X and I bought those shares for 1 penny each. Then suppose the stock price increases to $100 per share. I am now considered wealthy, but until I sell those shares of stock I haven't made any money on them, thus I am not taxed on that increase in wealth. I am still only taxed on my $30k income from my job despite my billionaire status of wealth.

Well, in that case, suppose I'm out one day lookin' for some food when a up from the ground comes a-bubblin' crude.

What percentage of federal income tax is paid by the wealthy

the upper 50% of the wage earners pay @97% of all tax collections, and the lower ones only @3%. The upper of the upper pay a disproportionate share of that too, the Top 1% of earners = 37% of taxes paid, the next bracket 2-5% accounts for another 20%. So about 57% paid by the top 5%. Especially as this is for Personal Income Tax only, and many of the more wealthy have much of the income taxed (some would say double taxed) by in the Corporate returns of those corporations they control/own.

Also, this is of those filing returns. The percentage of people whose income is, because of deductions/exemptions below where they have to file returns, and with things like Earned Income tax credits, actually get more back than they might pay, is huge...something like 40% of the populace. And of course, the lower earners pay at much reduced rate anyway.

Some quick statistics: The top 1% of earners pay 21.20% of all taxes paid at an average rate of 24%, the top 2 - 5% of earners pay 14.55% of all taxes at an average of 18% (Top 5% pay @36% of all tax) The bottom 50% pay 3% of all tax collected at an average rate of 2.98%.

Read more: What percentage of federal income tax is paid by the wealthy

It pays to verify whatever a lib says. They are usually lying somewhere.

What about income tax? What is the percentage?

Well, in that case, suppose I'm out one day lookin' for some food when a up from the ground comes a-bubblin' crude.

Since you rent instead of owning the property, it ain't yours.
Sorry about your luck.

Actually conservatives around here are for changing the tax code. No taxes on corporations at all, and a flat income tax of zero for everyone. Maybe 1% for everyone.

Of course liberals with there hand out to government on both sides of isle would have to walk away from there rents. So who really holds taxes high?

You won't be able to convince any "conservatives" here of needed changes to the tax code. "

That would be a blatantly false claim as conservatives have constantly called for change to the tax code, of course probably not the Marxist changes you'd like to see.

Pot meet kettle because you sure walked into that one.

Forum List

Back