More terrifying than Real ID...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BrokenAngel, Mar 1, 2009.

1. BrokenAngel

BrokenAngel Do broken wings mend?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I was trolling some news sites and ran across a rather disturbing article through Drudgereport.com. Since I am still a little to green on this forum I can't link so I will instead post the article. What I am wondering is if anyone can offer any insight on the topic because the intensity of the paranoia in this country is driving the feds to feel they are free to try and impliment some horrifying ideas. If there isn't really any insight that can be offered then I would truly love to know what the opinions are out there on this topic.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=90008

shortened and linked to comply with copyright rules. these are not optional and the point of not allowing you to link until you have 16 posts is that you aren't allowed to post articles without going through us until you have 16 posts. in the future, contact one of us if there's something you feel you want to share. Thanks. Jillian

2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    we, as consumers, already leave a wide open paper trail.. even you medical records are available to others..read the form you sign very carefully and you will discover you are giving clinics permission to share your information. our buying habits are traced with the use of discount buying cards. all this info is available to the police with a few keystrokes..the chip will simply make it more readily available...i agree with you.. it is not a good thing

3. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
  4. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    Oh no, a silly bimbo quote.

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Broken Angel asks:

Just like most other governments, the thing the US GOVERNMENT fears most is the GOVERNED

6. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Here's what I don't get ... every time they try to use a "new technology" (which has actually been around for some time now) they get attacked ... when it doesn't do much more than our old technology did, it just makes it harder to forge. Our ID's already have bar codes, and many businesses are starting to use those for accounts, it's faster than entering all the info in the computer and less likely to be fake. Because of this new bar-code many businesses can even take expired ID's since they can now be "canceled" if stolen or flagged. My local DVD store uses the bar code now ... it's convenient ... once the chips are in use I'll get one of those to. As for paper trails ... really ... do you have a bank account? Make purchases online at all? Phone orders? Checks? All of that is already tracked. Then there's medical records and all that which people are resisting having those all connected to. Really, we have no less privacy, nor will have any less, because of these advancements. But the advancements can save a lot of hardship for most people. Sadly I live in Washington and these same people have resisted EVERYTHING new, this is just one of the many real advances they have fought against.

7. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,111
    Personally, I get all my discount cards in false names. I don't write checks at stores so I only use them to get the sale prices.

My current Alias at local supermarkets is

Jacques Itchski
    Irritation Lane
    Powder, CT

And the radio chip in your license can be taken care of by "accidentally" putting your wallet in the microwave.

I am loathe to give my personal info to anyone.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    A little late to worry about it. Washington State started giving out enhanced drivers license in january, 2008. if you look at the link to washington state's site. the chip doesn't transmit personal information.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/about/news/priorities/borderCrossingFaq.pdf

and people already know where you are every time you get in your car, if you have a GPS...and they know everything about you if you use a debit or credit card or cell phone...should they choose to.

9. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Cells phones are a biggy now. The funny thing is that I know a lot of people who leave their ID's at home a lot anyway, cuts back on the chances of having it lost or stolen. Not to mention in our state we have a ton of traffic cams, so even if they can't find you through all the others it's still possible to track you through those (just not as easily). The problem with those against these don't notice is that we aren't losing rights or privacy with them, we are however gaining a lot of extra personal security, it won't be as easy for people to use your identity to commit crimes and then wind up with you taking the blame. It's like the DNA databases, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

10. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,111
    And you believe that? I don't, and as soon as my state starts that, my license will find its way into my microwave.