More spending needed?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by saveliberty, Dec 8, 2009.

1. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,014
    New Obama plans: 'spend our way out' of downturn - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama outlined new multibillion-dollar stimulus and jobs proposals Tuesday, saying the nation must continue to "spend our way out of this recession" until more Americans are back at work.

Since the program (TARP) is costing taxpayers at least $200 billion less than expected, Obama said, "This gives us a chance to pay down the deficit faster than we thought possible and to shift funds that would have gone to help the banks on Wall Street to help create jobs on Main Street."

But Republicans continued to insist that the leftover and repaid TARP money must be used exclusively for deficit reduction and not for a new jobs program.

"The president's announcement is further proof that TARP has morphed from an emergency injection of liquidity to thaw frozen credit markets into a $700 billion revolving slush fund to promote the Democrats' political, social and economic agenda," said Rep. Jeb Hensarling, R-Texas.

2. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    This is NOT a good idea. We have NO real data that tells us the original stimulus is working. This makes no sense to me.

3. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,892
    I see Obama's approval numbers dropping down in the 30's of he sticks with this inane line of reasoning.

Keep it up!! We need a Republican House and Senate to counter balance the loony left. Then when the Republican's take back the White House we can vote in a Democratic House and Senate to counter the loony right.

4. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Building and repairing infrastructure is a investment in our own future.

Unlike wars built on lies for corporate profit after you spend this money you have something to show for it for decades to come.

5. slackjawed

slackjawed Self deported

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645
    The basis of my signature line is proof that we do have real data to show that the administration doesn't have the ability to accurately keep track of what they spend. How do they know it is doing any good. We are supposed to believe our leader without question I guess.
    I agree, this is not a good idea.

6. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    I would be in complete agreement with you, EXCEPT it appears Obama wants to fix our infrastructure AND spend money on healthcare reform AND maintain forces in Iraq AND increase our forces in Afghanistan. He campaigned on stopping the Iraq occupation and cost savings from that would help offset the costs of healthcare reform.

7. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,014
    About that future. Nice job deciding what had to be done and then handing the bill to our future taxpayers. Please link me to how either war is for corporate profit. Obama says something quite different. You mean he is WRONG?

P.S. You get $50b. for infrastructure. How did the "shovel ready" programs work for you?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,707
    Gotta agree Yank.

This makes no sense. Any job created by the Govt repairing anything is only a temp job. Once the job is done. Back to the unemployment line unless the rest of the economy picks up big time.

Everything I've read also says they have no way to figure if the Stimulus has helped or hurt the economy. Clowns in DC will throw good money after bad. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

9. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,722
    I am certain that Mrs. Big Black Dog does her part to stimulate the economy. She spends so much money at Wal-Mart that it allows them to hire two more full time stockers!

10. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Is this guy serious? Obama is such an idiot. And when you consider that Reid and Pelosi are part of the package, you know America is totally screwed.