More Republican Suppression of voters

Larkinn

Jun 25, 2007
Ontario police arrest man in voter fraud case - Los Angeles Times

SACRAMENTO -- The owner of a firm that the California Republican Party hired to register tens of thousands of voters this year was arrested in Ontario over the weekend on suspicion of voter registration fraud.

State and local investigators allege that Mark Jacoby fraudulently registered himself to vote at a childhood California address where he no longer lives so he would appear to meet the legal requirement that all signature gatherers be eligible to vote in California. His firm, Young Political Majors, or YPM, collects petition signatures and registers voters in California and other states.

Jacoby's arrest by state investigators and the Ontario Police Department late Saturday came after dozens of voters said they were duped into registering as Republicans by people employed by YPM. The voters said YPM workers tricked them by saying they were signing a petition to toughen penalties against child molesters.

The firm was paid $7 to $12 for every Californian it registered as a member of the GOP.

Dan Goldfine, an attorney for Jacoby, on Sunday denied any wrongdoing by his client and called the charges "baseless."

He said the arrest outside an Ontario hotel, which involved seven squad cars and nine police officers, was part of a "long pattern of harassment against Mr. Jacoby for an entirely valid voter registration effort."

Goldfine said the case that prosecutors are bringing against his client involves charges that are rarely pressed.

Jacoby was released on bail Sunday evening from the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga, Goldfine said.

After complaints by voters and Democratic Party officials, several agencies launched investigations into Jacoby's activities. They included the Los Angeles County district attorney's office, which issued the warrant for his arrest earlier this month on felony charges of voter registration fraud and perjury.

"We contacted people at the addresses where he registered, and they have no idea who he is," said Dave Demerjian, head deputy of the public integrity unit at the L.A. County district attorney's office.

Goldfine said his client does business in many states, traveling frequently, and his permanent address has been his parents' Los Angeles County home, where he received mail and registered to vote.

Demerjian said his office is continuing to investigate allegations that YPM workers improperly re-registered voters with the GOP.

Several dozen voters recently told The Times that YPM workers said they had to become Republicans to sign the petition, contrary to California initiative law. Other voters said they had no idea their registration was being changed.

YPM has been accused of using bait-and-switch tactics across the country. Election officials and lawmakers have launched investigations into the activities of YPM workers in Florida and Massachusetts. In Arizona, the firm was recently a defendant in a civil rights lawsuit.

In a written statement Sunday, the state Republican Party called the charges against Jacoby "politically motivated." The party said the charges do not support accusations from voters and Democratic officials that YPM has been duping voters into joining the GOP.

The statement accused Secretary of State Debra Bowen, who announced the arrest, of "using her office to play politics."

Bowen is a Democrat.

Have fun spinning this one guys.

it's not suppression; it's voter registration fraud.
ship his ass to jail if he isn't smart enough to insulate himself with temporary workers like ACORN.

:rofl:

Actually its suppression. By registering them as Republicans they won't be in contact with the DNC, which may cause them to forget about voting. To cause someone not to vote when they otherwise would have is voter suppression.

Oh, and this guy was hired by the California GOP.

Actually its suppression. By registering them as Republicans they won't be in contact with the DNC, which may cause them to forget about voting. To cause someone not to vote when they otherwise would have is voter suppression.

Oh, and this guy was hired by the California GOP.

from your link dipshit.

"State and local investigators allege that Mark Jacoby fraudulently registered himself to vote at a childhood California address where he no longer lives so he would appear to meet the legal requirement that all signature gatherers be eligible to vote in California."

they won't be in contact with the DNC? so they'll forget to vote?
would it be impolitic of me to say that a) i bet millions of people have managed to vote without the tender ministrations of the DNC and b) people who don't vote because they forgot they registered are doing us all a favor by not voting?

you're gonna throw your back out twisting like this, dr logic.

it's voter registration fraud, it's wrong and he should go to jail if he's done what's alleged.

a box of rocks has nothin on you, bud.
:eusa_whistle:

I agree, it is voter fraud. And it sounds like an actual case of it, not some made up BS like the ACORN stuff.

I wonder if he knows Ann Coulter?

from your link dipshit.

"State and local investigators allege that Mark Jacoby fraudulently registered himself to vote at a childhood California address where he no longer lives so he would appear to meet the legal requirement that all signature gatherers be eligible to vote in California."

Good job at quoting. Have a cookie.

they won't be in contact with the DNC? so they'll forget to vote?
would it be impolitic of me to say that a) i bet millions of people have managed to vote without the tender ministrations of the DNC and b) people who don't vote because they forgot they registered are doing us all a favor by not voting?

a) I'd bet that as well. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't have reminders.

b) Not everyone is obsessive compulsive about voting. There are plenty of people who want to vote, have studied the issues, but actually have busy lives and may not notice that its Nov 4th.

you're gonna throw your back out twisting like this, dr logic.

it's voter registration fraud, it's wrong and he should go to jail if he's done what's alleged.

a box of rocks has nothin on you, bud.
:eusa_whistle:

One person who would have voted otherwise, but does not vote because of anothers fraudulent actions is voter suppression. Yes or No?

Last edited:
this is just another sign the republican party knows they are losing and are getting desperate.

edited between peals of laughter.......
b) Not everyone is obsessive compulsive about voting. There are plenty of people who want to vote, have studied the issues, but actually have busy lives and may not notice that its Nov 4th.

One person who would have voted otherwise, but does not vote because of ones actions is voter suppression. Yes or No?

you have the cookie. that's the single most stupid statement i've seen. scratch that, two of the most stupid statements i've seen.
not notice it's election day?
sure thing. happens all the time, and it's all because of those evil republicans- they printed up millions of calendars with no first tuesday in November, and then persuaded the media to go along. bastards

so if i get in a car accident on 11/4 and i can't vote, i can charge the person who hit my car with voter suppression? that's a relief.:lol:

damn, you really are funny.
kudos.
:clap2:

Note I changed it. Fraudulent actions. I figured you would try to squirm out of it.

Note I changed it. Fraudulent actions. I figured you would try to squirm out of it.

i don't care if you have it illuminated by Capuchin monks and embroidered on a tapestry, it's still registration fraud.

and who's squirming when you change your original premise to something slightly less nonsensical? that'd be you, mr experience.

i don't care if you have it illuminated by Capuchin monks and embroidered on a tapestry, it's still registration fraud.

Perhaps your experience flipping burgers wouldn't tell you this, but one can be guilty of more than one thing for the same act. I didn't say it wasn't registration fraud, I just said it was also voter suppression.

and who's squirming when you change your original premise to something slightly less nonsensical? that'd be you, mr experience.

Considering I changed it BEFORE you challenged it, and I made it more precise which gave you less room to squirm out of it, that makes no sense. But then your challenges rarely do.

Care to come up with a new hypo where it wouldn't be voter suppression?

Oh and do tell what their goal was, if not voter suppression. How else does having more Republicans on the rolls help them?

Man your even worse than poodle. You should go mate with him. You'd make beautiful angry little follower puppies. They'd be so cute they would.

Perhaps your experience flipping burgers wouldn't tell you this, but one can be guilty of more than one thing for the same act. I didn't say it wasn't registration fraud, I just said it was also voter suppression.

Considering I changed it BEFORE you challenged it, and I made it more precise which gave you less room to squirm out of it, that makes no sense. But then your challenges rarely do.

Care to come up with a new hypo where it wouldn't be voter suppression?

Oh and do tell what their goal was, if not voter suppression. How else does having more Republicans on the rolls help them?

Man your even worse than poodle. You should go mate with him. You'd make beautiful angry little follower puppies. They'd be so cute they would.

you're a sad little man. enjoy yourself.

you're a sad little man. enjoy yourself.

Poor baby. Run out of substantive things to say so quickly? I apologize for criticizing your one line snarky comments. Apparently its all you have the mental capacity to do, despite your experience. So have at it!

Poor baby. Run out of substantive things to say so quickly? I apologize for criticizing your one line snarky comments. Apparently its all you have the mental capacity to do, despite your experience. So have at it!

sorry, i don't have time for lying cowards who change their statements because they know they're full o shit.
deal with it. i already have.

In that case, the suppression charge is a bit of a stretch, IMO.

If on Nov 4th I go to Republican areas of PA and say I'm going to take them all to vote, and instead I drop them off in the wilderness, is that voter suppression?

IF they had shown up, they could have voted. But they didn't, due to actions by me. Voter Suppression is fraudulently keeping someone from voting, no matter how you do it. You've suppressed their vote, directly or indirectly.

If on Nov 4th I go to Republican areas of PA and say I'm going to take them all to vote, and instead I drop them off in the wilderness, is that voter suppression?

You betcha.

IF they had shown up, they could have voted. But they didn't, due to actions by me. Voter Suppression is fraudulently keeping someone from voting, no matter how you do it. You've suppressed their vote, directly or indirectly.

But here's the catch: Your hypothetical suppression scenario is just that, hypothetical. When and if it happens, I'll be the first to agree with you that it's voter suppression. Until then, it's wrong and fraudulent, but not specifically suppression as far as I can tell.

Forum List

Back