More remains belonging to Sgt. La David Johnson found in Niger, military says

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
Partial human remains belonging to Army Sgt. La David T. Johnson were found about five weeks after he was killed in Niger, the Pentagon disclosed Tuesday, raising more questions about the incident that claimed the lives of four U.S. soldiers.

An investigation team from U.S. Africa Command discovered the remains Nov. 12 at the site where Johnson’s body was found outside the remote village of Tongo Tongo. He and the other Americans were killed there Oct. 4, having been ambushed by as many as 50 Islamist militants.

Five Nigerien soldiers also died in the battle.

Johnson’s body was found two days later. It’s unclear how the remains located Nov. 12 were missed during the initial sweep.

[U.S. soldier in Niger ambush was bound and apparently executed, villagers say]

Tuesday’s announcement comes after The Washington Post reported that Johnson was found by villagers with his hands bound and a gaping wound in his head, raising the possibility he was captured alive and later executed.

It is unclear what remains the team uncovered or whether they produce additional evidence indicating a capture. Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White disclosed the information in a written statement. The Pentagon has not provided additional details or addressed related questions.

2:25

Villagers: U.S. soldier in Niger ambush was bound and apparently executed
Four U.S. soldiers were killed in Niger on Oct. 4, in an attack near Niger’s border with Mali. Here's what we know. (Victoria Walker/The Washington Post)

“The Army takes tremendous care to ensure our Gold Star Families are treated with dignity and compassion and that a casualty assistance officer provides them with the latest information available on the loss of their loved one,” said Cynthia O. Smith, an Army spokeswoman. “It would be inappropriate to comment on information shared between the casualty assistance officer and the family of a fallen Soldier.”

The announcement does seem to help explain the saga over Johnson’s remains and what his widow, Myeshia, described as the military’s decision to block her from viewing them.

“Every time I asked to see my husband, they wouldn’t let me,” Myeshia Johnson said in an interview with ABC’s “Good Morning America.” “They told me that he’s in a severe wrap — like I won’t be able to see him. I need to see him so I will know that that is my husband.”

“They won’t show me a finger, a hand,” she told “Good Morning America.” “I know my husband’s body from head to toe, and they won’t let me see anything. I don’t know what’s in that box. It could be empty for all I know.”

More remains belonging to Sgt. La David Johnson found in Niger, military says

his remains were scattered or what? this has been a very confusing saga.

New Topics

Forum List

Back